• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I7 920 to 3.4?

Aus10

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
1,870
Hello, I have a intel i7 920 and i wanted to overclock it too 3.4, I have a corsair h50 cooler. My Bios are 1303 version. I have corsair ram set to the X.M.P profiel although i turned something too 1.64volts because it said that 1.66 would damage my cpu.. Thanks
 
Not to come across harsh but it sounds as though you could really use some time looking through the various overclocking guides on the internet before you go through the bios changing voltages and such.
 
Iv read through alot of it, i am just too scared to go guessing numbers and stuff
 
Then you shouldn't be overclocking...

It's a risk you take.
 
If im told what numbers too enter and stuff then im fine its just guessing i dont like......
 
If im told what numbers too enter and stuff then im fine its just guessing i dont like......

No one can tell you what numbers to enter as their are too many variables involved.
 
No one can tell you what numbers to enter as their are too many variables involved.

Agreed. The problem with someone giving you the answer is there really is not a one size fits all solution. I mean every chip is different. Not all chips overclock the same way. Some can overclock at below stock volts, some can do it at stock, some need some more. On top of this motherboards and memory also effect your overclock.

With that said, the easiest thing to begin in your case is to start by not touching a single setting other than BCLK. Start out by setting this to 150 instead of the default of 133. This will raise your CPU to 3.0 GHz. In most cases you will not need to touch any setting for this overclock. After that you should test your overclock by running maximum on IBT (Intel Burn Test)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/IntelBurnTest.shtml

Also did you get a better cooler than stock? At 3.0GHz you will probably be hitting 90C CPU temps at full load on the stock cooler. That will most likely prevent you from going much higher than that.

John
 
Agreed. The problem with someone giving you the answer is there really is not a one size fits all solution. I mean every chip is different. Not all chips overclock the same way. Some can overclock at below stock volts, some can do it at stock, some need some more. On top of this motherboards and memory also effect your overclock.

With that said, the easiest thing to begin in your case is to start by not touching a single setting other than BCLK. Start out by setting this to 150 instead of the default of 133. This will raise your CPU to 3.0 GHz. In most cases you will not need to touch any setting for this overclock. After that you should test your overclock by running maximum on IBT (Intel Burn Test)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/IntelBurnTest.shtml

Also did you get a better cooler than stock? At 3.0GHz you will probably be hitting 90C CPU temps at full load on the stock cooler. That will most likely prevent you from going much higher than that.

John

I am running a H50 with it. with the stock one i ran a stress test and it got up too 94 before i shut it down, When I get my new case I will put artic silver on it, right now im using the stuff corsair put on it, i will also add another fan so i can ran a push/pull config. I think that should allow me too push it a little higher than 3.0Ghz.......
 
As suggested, go into your bios and reload factory defaults, do not mess with any voltages if you do not know what you are doing. Then set the BLCK to 150.
 
As suggested, go into your bios and reload factory defaults, do not mess with any voltages if you do not know what you are doing. Then set the BCLK to 150.

lol. Yep. Agree.

I bet it does the 3.4 bone stock voltages (if it's D0). No harm no foul. That board recovers pretty nice...I'd go straight for the 3.4 and start testing.

He might have to bump the vdimm back up with that BCLK but that is easy too.
 
Last edited:
I tryed setting it too 150 and it wouldn load windows and i had to restore my computer......
 
I tryed setting it too 150 and it wouldn load windows and i had to restore my computer......

Which is exactly why no one can give you the numbers. Every single one of your components play a part in your OC. Your psu may not be up to par, you may have a bad mobo for OC, you may have subpar ram, or a variety of other problems that can limit your OC or worse yet, damage your system.

If you don't have the money or patience to experiment with OC'ing then don't risk it until your more comfortable playing around with the settings.
 
I'm not familiar with XMP profiles but wouldnt he have to set the ram divider manually once overclocking?
 
I would leave the memory speed to "Auto" for now as this can be a second reason why the system does not run stable.
 
I tryed setting it too 150 and it wouldn load windows and i had to restore my computer......

Before you set BCLK to 150, did you reset all of your other bios settings to factory defaults including the memory setting?
 
Not sure how to do that........

That is a problem. If you don't know how to do that, something easily answered in the motherboards manual, you really have no business overclocking until you understand it better.

If you read that guide I posted while attempting to overclock you should be good... it lays out the steps nicely. Its going to take TIME. ;)
 
Ok i just changed all my settings back too auto and then changed the Overclocking too manual and set it too 150 and it is at 3.00ghz now.
 
Now do some stability testing. IntelBurnTest is a good program to test stability. Run this on maximum.
 
second the thoughts, make sure you READ EVERYTHING you can before you put your hardware in harms way. It only takes milliseconds to fry your expensive proc.
 
I think one of the biggest problems with reading everything is those guides are not very beginner friendly. I believe they are more about "How does and expert get a i7 920 to 4.0 GHz+" instead of "how does a beginner get it to 3.4GHz".
 
I think one of the biggest problems with reading everything is those guides are not very beginner friendly. I believe they are more about "How does and expert get a i7 920 to 4.0 GHz+" instead of "how does a beginner get it to 3.4GHz".


Yeah thats how i felt. Everything is so complicated for someone just starting out into computers. Thats why i kept asking questions, i was hoping someone would put it more simply
 
I think one of the biggest problems with reading everything is those guides are not very beginner friendly. I believe they are more about "How does and expert get a i7 920 to 4.0 GHz+" instead of "how does a beginner get it to 3.4GHz".

Well, the reason for that is because as long as you already have proper cooling, as you already said earlier, taking an i7 920 to 3.4 is nothing more than adjusting a single setting, the BCLK. Don't need a guide or even a thread for that. Just need a single post.

Hell, with a utility like eVGA's E-Leet tuning utility, you can accomplish 3.4 without even leaving Windows. So, not only do n00bs not even need to know what default BIOS settings are, hell, they don't even need to understand what the BIOS even is! Just move a slider in Windows, click apply, and voila!

Even in my first attempt at understanding OCing, I immediately understood why there was no beginner's guide. There's only one setting in the BIOS to adjust to get halfway there, and by the time that doesn't work anymore, you already really need to fully understand what you're going to be doing to go any further at all.

BTW - a lot of mobos have a "dummy" OC BIOS setting that will automatically set that BCLK to around 3.0-3.2 or something anyway. So for a simple OC you don't need to understand anything at all.

(And, yeah, FWIW, when I put my i7-920 system together with GTX480SLIed, my i7 at stock vs. even my i7 just dummy OCed made a very noticeable difference in Crysis. Unless you're looking to save power, not OCing your system at all is a waste...)
 
I have an i7 @ 4.2Ghz on 1.42v with my H50. My idles are 43c and full load gets to about 74c. I'd say set the voltage to 1.375 and go for 3.8ghz, it should work.
 
Well, the reason for that is because as long as you already have proper cooling, as you already said earlier, taking an i7 920 to 3.4 is nothing more than adjusting a single setting, the BCLK. Don't need a guide or even a thread for that. Just need a single post.

Hell, with a utility like eVGA's E-Leet tuning utility, you can accomplish 3.4 without even leaving Windows. So, not only do n00bs not even need to know what default BIOS settings are, hell, they don't even need to understand what the BIOS even is! Just move a slider in Windows, click apply, and voila!

Even in my first attempt at understanding OCing, I immediately understood why there was no beginner's guide. There's only one setting in the BIOS to adjust to get halfway there, and by the time that doesn't work anymore, you already really need to fully understand what you're going to be doing to go any further at all.

BTW - a lot of mobos have a "dummy" OC BIOS setting that will automatically set that BCLK to around 3.0-3.2 or something anyway. So for a simple OC you don't need to understand anything at all.

(And, yeah, FWIW, when I put my i7-920 system together with GTX480SLIed, my i7 at stock vs. even my i7 just dummy OCed made a very noticeable difference in Crysis. Unless you're looking to save power, not OCing your system at all is a waste...)

I always heard overclocking was very bad for your parts tho? That's why i'm a little scard, im 15 and had to spend the $1300 and now even more because i have upgraded more so but is bad for your parts? Thanks
 
I always heard overclocking was very bad for your parts tho?

It's generally fine unless you go crazy with the voltage. If you need to ever modify voltages check to see what is safe.
 
I have an i7 @ 4.2Ghz on 1.42v with my H50. My idles are 43c and full load gets to about 74c. I'd say set the voltage to 1.375 and go for 3.8ghz, it should work.

even CPU's with the same stepping and batch codes can have different stock voltage values and require different amounts of voltage to get stable at a certain speed. you should not just arbitrarily set the voltage to 1.375 without knowing if your CPU requires that much. that is the reason you overclock in small steps and not a giant leap all the way directly to 4.5ghz.
 
even CPU's with the same stepping and batch codes can have different stock voltage values and require different amounts of voltage to get stable at a certain speed. you should not just arbitrarily set the voltage to 1.375 without knowing if your CPU requires that much. that is the reason you overclock in small steps and not a giant leap all the way directly to 4.5ghz.

1.375 is a pretty large jump too. That could easily put you close to 90 without proper cooling.
 
I always heard overclocking was very bad for your parts tho?
Well, it sure isn't "good" for your parts, but it's free performance, so I'll take it. I'll echo what drescherjm said. All you really need to be concerned about is the voltage because voltage generates heat and heat decreases the parts' life span. If you use temperature monitoring with the likes of RealTemp, you will be fine.
 
Well, it sure isn't "good" for your parts, but it's free performance, so I'll take it. I'll echo what drescherjm said. All you really need to be concerned about is the voltage because voltage generates heat and heat decreases the parts' life span. If you use temperature monitoring with the likes of RealTemp, you will be fine.

Yeah the only thing im afraid of now is that i want to run 2 evga gtx 260s in sli and i wanna overclock everything but i dont know if i can with only a 700watt psu. Ya know?
 
Back
Top