• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7-920 Question

Marc Ross Miller

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Messages
69
Regarding the i7-920, Tom's Hardware states, "...You can eve keep the Core i7 Turbo Mode, which accelerates an individual core by up two multiplier increments at peak single thread single load." The previous sentence reads, "We found that the 3.33 GHz setting makes even more sense (in terms overclocking) for average users...."

Can anyone say what he means when he states, "You can eve keep the Core i7 Turbo Mode, which accelerates an individual core by up two multiplier increments at peak single thread single load." Is this the same as overclocking? If not, then to what speed does he refer to?

Thanks again.
 
Just put together my P6X58D Premium i7 920 based system and have done a fair amount of reading about 920 overclocking. Turbo Mode and the other CPU speed control technologies tend to interfere with overclocking overall. For instance Tube Mode can boost your multipliter from 20 to 21 but if this were to happen with a system at the edge of stability then the jump from 20 to 21 could crash the system for instance.

I have my rig running at 3.7 GHz at 1.3v with BCLK at 185 x 20. All other overclocking related settings at auto or default.
 
Turbo mode basically puts 3 cores to sleep and raises the multiplier by 2x on the core in use. It will increase your performance up to a maximum of 3.3GHz, so if you've overclocked your i7 above 3.3 it doesn't do anything useful. It's basically a nice performance boost if you are running with stock settings, and will allow you to see 3.3GHz single core performance with the stock 2.66GHz setup. Like the above poster said, turn it off if you are overclocking. (It's not even beneficial to have it on imo, because a 920 should be OC'ed to like at least 3.6-4 ;)).
 
Quite a few strange quotes about turbo mode in this thread as it relates to overclocking. Turbo mode helps overclocking rather than hinders it. Turning Turbo mode on allows you to go for the lowest VCore possible on your overclock - lower VCore == more headroom on the OC. Without Turbo On you're going for a higher than necessary BCLK on your overclock - which in turn increases uncore and mem freq.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all of your responses. I know very little about pc's so I'm a bit confused. I do plan to have the i7-920 overclocked but some say it is best to leave the "Turbo Mode" on and some say to turn it off.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thank you again.
 
I think some of the above posts confuse Turbo Boost ( which is an inherent feature in i5/i7 chips) vs a common motherboard overclocking feature that basically is a dummy overclock (sometimes refered to as 'Turbo' in some BIOSes. In the x58 Classified it's 'Dummy OC', and turbo is the actual 'Turbo' so no confusion there).

Don't confuse the two. The dummy overclock is for those that just want a quick and dirty overclock - on an i7 920, the overclock could hit 3.3ghz with default settings which in no way is optimal. For anyone serious about overclocking efficiently they would not touch that 'turbo/dummy' mode so perhaps they were referring to that. Turbo Boost on the other hand is essential for a good overclock unless your mem settings/dividers refuse to play nice.
 
I think some of the above posts confuse Turbo Boost ( which is an inherent feature in i5/i7 chips) vs a common motherboard overclocking feature that basically is a dummy overclock (sometimes refered to as 'Turbo' in some BIOSes. In the x58 Classified it's 'Dummy OC', and turbo is the actual 'Turbo' so no confusion there).

Don't confuse the two. The dummy overclock is for those that just want a quick and dirty overclock - on an i7 920, the overclock could hit 3.3ghz with default settings which in no way is optimal. For anyone serious about overclocking efficiently they would not touch that 'turbo/dummy' mode so perhaps they were referring to that. Turbo Boost on the other hand is essential for a good overclock unless your mem settings/dividers refuse to play nice.
dummy OC is turbo... they just renamed it. (they being evga)
 
Thanks for pointing this out Morphy, you are correct at least about me as I wasn't even thinking of Intel's Turbo Boost technology in my post, I was referring to the dummy overclock. However when it comes to automatic overclocking technology it's typically best to disable them.
 
dummy OC is turbo... they just renamed it. (they being evga)
Not on mine...
Turbo:
bios11.jpg


Dummy OC:
http://overclockerstech.com/images/reviews/Lvcoyote/evgax58/bios8.jpg

ps: those aren't my screens but the bios layout is the same.
It's possible the terminology was changed for P55 mobos, that I have no idea.
 
I'm upgrading my pc and I've already bought the i7-920 processor and I think I'll be getting the Asus P6T SE motherboard, which as I understand it, has "Asus TurboV", which as I understand it, allows overclocking. Without knowing any better I'm inclined to just use the Asus overclocking feature rather than fiddling around with "Turbo Mode" on the i7 (unless it's required to turn "Turbo Mode" off to overclock).

Thanks again.
 
Related question, but what is the advantage of turning off all execute bit disable and virtulaization technology?
 
Related question, but what is the advantage of turning off all execute bit disable and virtulaization technology?

None really, especially the execute bit disable, that provides hardware support for DEP and I have that on.
 
None really, especially the execute bit disable, that provides hardware support for DEP and I have that on.

So why do so many overclocking guides have you turning it off?

Im tweaking my new i920 and just turned off turbo mode -- is that right?
 
Back
Top