• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 920 overclock..some cores are 7c difference

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
1,698
Hey guys...I have my i7 920 overclocked to 3800 mhz. I am using a corsair h50 water cooler. When I run prime95 I can see some of my cores at 84c and then some of them at 77c. Is this normal to have that much difference between the cores? Would it be ok if I put new thermal compound on the h50 coolers heatsink and refit the seal? I was always hesitant to do that thinking the compound that came with it was better then what I could do/get.

Ok thanks for the help! :)
 
From what I was reading when I had the same "problem", it's quite normal. I think there is actually a 8c difference between the coolest and warmest cores on my i7 930. I played a lot of games with the GTZ water block and TIMs on mine and it never made a difference.
 
The sensors these kind of temp programs use are not meant to be used for giving out temp readings, they give the CPU a distance to TjMax. The software then takes into count the listed TjMax of the CPU and spits out a number based on how far off it is, go into most of these programs and you can change the TjMax setting, notice when you change it so does your temp readings, it's an estimation. These sensors are not very good for giving temp readings and have larger errors the farther it is from TjMax, ever notice that the [H] cuts a slot into the CPU for a thermal probe? That's one of the reasons, to be accurate.
 
I would just be careful regardless of the software with hitting about 80c. On that chipset I use 80c as my cap and OC to that or below.
 
There is a temperature spread between the cores. the two i7-9xx I have used had difference of about 6c between the hottest and coolest cores under full load. Some of that is due to the chip and some of that is due to the way the heat sink is mounted.
 
Software monitoring is never 100% accurate.

its not the software, its the crappy temp sensor calibrations intel uses. its been a problem ever since the C2D processors..


as far as the original poster goes, which cores are higher and which ones are lower? if for example core 1/2 are 84C and core 3/4 are 77C it could mean the heatsink isn't mounted completely flush.. but if its say cores 1/4 then its probably incorrectly calibrated sensors. its usually normal to have 1 sensor way off but not 2.
 
Back
Top