i7 920 OC newb

slayer9019

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've never OCed a intel before, and never an expensive one.

Just got a 920 and wanna bump up the power. I am going to pick up a new heatsink today at microcenter I was looking at the Cogage True Spirit.

HAF 932
Cogage True Spirt
EVGA X58 SLI LE
6gb (3x2) Patriot Viper DDR3

I was looking to get a decent clock, but still have it rock stable. Do you think 3.8 is too lofty of a number considering my setup?

Cocage TRUE spirit is a very good choice, couple it with a GentleTyphoon 1450rpm fan and you're set :)
3.8GHz seems like an easy number, especially if it's a D0 920 you have there. I have a bad C0 and can get 3.96GHz tops, 3.8 on a D0 should be easy enough and stable for sure :) heck, 4GHz is what you should be aiming for.
Though please note that not every chip overclocks well, if it overclocks at all, though more often than not, they do, very well.

the guy I bought it from ran it 24/7 @ 4ghz, but on a good water loop. Since I just dropped a few grand on replacing my entire setup recently I dont have the money for water, and I'm not so sure about air.

Thanks for the input though. I havent OCed in years, except for the bargin AMD offers from microcenter, and that is so easy its a joke

3.8GHz on air shouldnt be a problem at all.
and 4.GHz will depend on the cpu vid(stock vcore)
lower vid chips run extremely hot.

the guy I bought it from ran it 24/7 @ 4ghz, but on a good water loop. Since I just dropped a few grand on replacing my entire setup recently I dont have the money for water, and I'm not so sure about air.

Thanks for the input though. I havent OCed in years, except for the bargin AMD offers from microcenter, and that is so easy its a joke

You should be fine. You have overclocked before and the i7 cores overclock very easily, and you purchased a good HS.. Good luck.

I just wanted to chime in here - I just purchased an i7 930. I've been experimenting with OCing, and perhaps I got lucky, but I've hit 4.2ghz with a TRUE rev. A, push/pull 1600RPM fans - 1.300 vcore. Load temps are mid 60s, with hyperthreading on, and running LinX with "ALL" memory.

I just spent some time looking around the net at i7 overclocking threads and raised the supporting voltages:

Vcore: 1.300
QPI/VTT: 1.335
BCLK: 200
CPU PLL: 1.88
QPI PLL 1.16

I'm extremely pleased with this result, and will not bother spending the $$$ on a water setup just for my CPU, for perhaps 10deg c load improvement.

I must note: I was seeing 85c load temps until I used a thick washer on the TRUE to increase the pressure between heatsink and CPU. Temps literally dropped 20c with this one alteration. Be sure you have even and adequate pressure on the cpu, and you'll be impressed what a well-designed air cooler can do.

just put in the heatsink with no OC and its running surprisingly hot at idle

Core average 50C

that's pretty high even with just the stock fan that comes with the true spirit, what are your ambient temperatures? (if you're using the stock intel cooler, your temp. is pretty normal)

if I remember right, the stock mounting kit that now comes with the true spirit is thermalright's rev. A bolt-through kit which can be somewhat annoying to use. I'd suggest getting the rev. B bolt-through kit from thermalright, it makes mounting and removing the heatsink a really simple task w/o needing to remove the motherboard from the case.

for some reason it kinda "settled down" after running it for about an hour at idle. Its now hovering around 41-43 at idle.

Idle temps seem a bit high for stock. Though what's your room temperature? and what fan have you got on the heatsink?

just took a look at the TIM used, seems to be rebranded arctic silver 5, so yeah, your temps should slowly drop over several days. I'd still like to know ambient temperatures before stating all's fine (first install with the true spirit I was seeing temperatures of ~36C at stock on a 950, but I had lapped it a little to reduce the convex curve on the base).

just took a look at the TIM used, seems to be rebranded arctic silver 5, so yeah, your temps should slowly drop over several days. I'd still like to know ambient temperatures before stating all's fine (first install with the true spirit I was seeing temperatures of ~36C at stock on a 950, but I had lapped it a little to reduce the convex curve on the base).

temps have been dropping slowly since I've had it idling all night. Its around 38-40 idle. In the past I never actually checked my temps on a new build, but since I want to OC soon I was going to see what my idle was.

On a side note my i7 860 idles around 37C on stock cooler, stock TIM, in a Antec 902 with a 9800GTX+ (the geforce idles at 57-65) but my 4850x2 idles at 27-39

ambient is between 65-72F

I got the Cogage True Spirt with Antec Formula 5 grease
Hmm, sounds like some rubbish TIM you're using there. I would've suggested some MX3 or MX4 tbh.
I would expect about 36-42c idle with ambient room temp of 22c

Hmm, sounds like some rubbish TIM you're using there. I would've suggested some MX3 or MX4 tbh.
I would expect about 36-42c idle with ambient room temp of 22c

it's rebranded arctic silver 5, it's still decent~

ive run the antec silver 5 and to be honest its not that great. the changed to MX-3 and its an ice improvement. i even run my GPU's with MX-3 its solid stuff

does the TIM that comes on the true require time to "set?" that could have been the prob.

i use a corsair h50 and i can match your temps running at 4.0 ghz. not sure how the two compare.

does the TIM that comes on the true require time to "set?" that could have been the prob.

i use a corsair h50 and i can match your temps running at 4.0 ghz. not sure how the two compare.

the TIM that came with the true was horrendous. It was almost watery and I think might have been bad.

Back