Temps are 40C idle and tops out at 81C on full load

setup is
i7 920
Asus p6t(non deluxe)
Corsair XMS3 16000 6GB
CM V8 Cooler w/ AS5

will try to go for 4Ghz after playing around these speeds

What do you guys think? Any and all comments welcome

the room temperature in the living room which is next to the office is 73F, so i'd imagine the office is no more than 5 degrees warmer, so i'd guess around 78F - 80F.

Jeez my temperatures at 4.2 under load with Intel Burn In Test are better than that.

I think thats pretty good with that voltage. Seems like you have plenty of headroom.

Hows that CM V8?

so far so good with the CM V8, by reputation i know the TRUE is suppose to be better but i'm not going to be tearing apart my rig to drop the temp by a few degrees. i have to say to i wasn't disappointed by the V8 at all, only thing that I will say is it is a rather large block, in my rig i had to actually had to leave the MB tray in the case, and drop the whole thing into the case at once instead of being able to do all the work outside of the case like previous builds, but that is a minor consideration, i was just glad it fit and i didn't have to run out and buy a new case

i'm pretty sure i'm not getting ideal cooling either since i'm using an old Lian Li PC 60 that still has 80mm fans and the fan positions aren't really designed for modern heatsinks but hey, its doing well enough, so i'll probably hold off a bit, the case has served me well for the last 4 years

hey guy, just thought I would put my 2 cents in.

Your temps dont seem right for that voltage. thats practically stock voltage, and at stock voltage I idled at 30c and loaded at about 57c.

I am now at 1.356v 4.3ghz (200x21) and idle at 45 / load 80c.

The V8 is a beast so im not gonna knock the cooler, but for some reason your temps seem off. Also, its very rare to see a i7 do 3.8 at that low of a voltage.

When you use CPU-Z and then run prime, CPU-Z reports voltages, what is the voltage in that program when loaded?

His ambient temps were in the upper 70's so that might be why they seemed off. Although I find it strange that his load temps get so high at that voltage.

ah no....

he was refering to fahrenheit, not celsius....

that would be a 22c ambient, which is actually pretty good....

if it was 73c ambient, that is like 163f, and he would probably die after a few minutes in the room :(

I know he was referring to Fahrenheit. lol ~80F room temp might be making his comp temps a little inflated than most people who probably work in a 70F ambient room temp.

nice job. my temps are around the same/little higher with 1.38v and true. but i have ht disabled which would acount for at least 15c. like the 45nm s775's, some of these run hot, others dont. nice chip.

Your temps dont seem right for that voltage. thats practically stock voltage, and at stock voltage I idled at 30c and loaded at about 57c.

The V8 is a beast so im not gonna knock the cooler, but for some reason your temps seem off. Also, its very rare to see a i7 do 3.8 at that low of a voltage.

When you use CPU-Z and then run prime, CPU-Z reports voltages, what is the voltage in that program when loaded?

i have since bumped my voltage up to 1.25, since it crashed once, figure it wouldn't hurt and i could rule out under voltage as an issue, and under Prime95, CPU-Z shows the voltage at 1.256v

i'm pretty sure if i tweaked the case cooling a bit to get better flow i'd probabbly be able to drop the temps some more but i'm enjoying the i7 too much to tear it all apart. right now, a few things i can see as a problem with my PC-60 are that

1. dual 80mm front intake fans are blocked by the hard drive cage
2. the 80mm exhaust fan is off-center from the heatsink

these are also the stock fans so i'm sure they don't exactly push optimum amount of air either, maybe in a few months i'll get the motivation to upgrade to a v1000z or something and then really push this chip

these are also the stock fans so i'm sure they don't exactly push optimum amount of air either, maybe in a few months i'll get the motivation to upgrade to a v1000z or something and then really push this chip

mine runs 80 plus at load also. many of them do. dont sweat it.

a0ewdf.png

20tqgt0.png

1.48vcore is the lowest i could get stable at 4.2ghz with HT on
-water cooled (gtz, mcr320)
-temps in C
i7 920 batch#3842A614

u mean 4.2ghz your multi is 200X21 otherwise please tell me how

Soup666: what waterblock are you using? I'm building a new rig and i think i'm going to use the GTZ. I have an eheim 1250 pump (317gal/hr), 1/2" ID tubing and a BIE 240 radiator. Looking for a good block that will handle a 4ghz+ without getting too hot. I am currently using a TDX for my quad.

HT is making your temps high - 81c is pretty high. Have you ran the Intelburnin test? I would guess it will fail fast.

Back