i7-920 new HS/Fan

Last edited:
Don't mess around with the rest, and Buy the Best out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-021-_-Product
TRUE > all

Venomous X > TRUE

As far as Ven X vs. NH-D14 (or Cogage Arrow) goes I'd say it's a toss up. Personally I find the Ven X more functional due to the less restrictive size. Nothing beats the price/performance of the Cogage TRUE Spirit though. That let me OC my i7 920 to 4.2ghz easily.

Venomous X > TRUE

As far as Ven X vs. NH-D14 (or Cogage Arrow) goes I'd say it's a toss up. Personally I find the Ven X more functional due to the less restrictive size. Nothing beats the price/performance of the Cogage TRUE Spirit though. That let me OC my i7 920 to 4.2ghz easily.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/02/05/tuniq_propeller_vs_thermalright_venemous_x/4

Looking at the Chart, the Ven X, is not any better then the TRUE you ALSO need to buy a fan with it, which will drive up the cost even more, then the TRUE I linked with a fan!

which is why I still say to this day TRUE > all

Taken from the Review

"It was a pretty one sided battle we saw today. The Venemous X, while not an improvement over previous Thermalright designs, handily bested the Propeller 120 from Tuniq in the performance department."

I really don't know why people seem to recommend a "one size fits all" heatsink solution.

The D14 is currently the king of low-speed fans. By low speed I am talking 1000 RPM and under. The Megahalems and probably the Venomous do perform well but the D14 outperforms both.

I really don't know why people seem to recommend a "one size fits all" heatsink solution.

The D14 is currently the king of low-speed fans. By low speed I am talking 1000 RPM and under. The Megahalems and probably the Venomous do perform well but the D14 outperforms both.

Not according to Hardocp.

Did you even click on the links? the D14 doesnt beat the TRUE or VEN X.

They tested the heatsinks at a crappy 3.6Ghz max. Not very [H]ard considering anyone buying an after market cooler is doing 4Ghz+

The D14 seem to do better than the rest the higher you go in Mhz.

They tested the heatsinks at a crappy 3.6Ghz max. Not very [H]ard considering anyone buying an after market cooler is doing 4Ghz+

Linkage?

It also depends on the motherboard that you're using. Some motherboards require a voltage boost just to even reach that "crappy" 3.6GHz due to their relatively inferior power designs. Apparently, my current Intel mobo is one of those which requires a core and Uncore voltage bump just for the D0-stepping i7-920 to reach 3.6GHz (it uses a rather mediocre 4+2 phase power design versus the 8+2 and even 10+2 phase power designs of the best motherboards from Asus and GigaByte). And forget about reaching 4.0GHz with this motherboard even with an aftermarket air cooler because both the required voltage and the operating CPU temperatures would have exceeded Intel's absolute maximums.

Last edited:
Some motherboards require a voltage boost just to even reach that "crappy" 3.6GHz due to their relatively inferior power designs. Apparently, my current Intel mobo is one of those which requires a core and Uncore voltage bump just for the D0-stepping i7-920 to reach 3.6GHz

You sure it's JUST the mobo and not the CPU? I need a slight v-bump to get 3.6ghz on my i7 920 D0, and I've got a P6T6.

You sure it's JUST the mobo and not the CPU? I need a slight v-bump to get 3.6ghz on my i7 920 D0, and I've got a P6T6.

The CPU might also have been the culprit.

On the other hand, weak mobos actually become more and more unstable with higher clocks because their components cannot handle the stress as well.

In my testing (with the stock Intel cooler), my system needed all of 1.35V just to run at 3.8GHz - and then, the temps soared all the way to the core shutdown point of 96°C during the Prime95 tests, thus "failing" the test. Maybe I didn't try [H]ard enough; I merely guessed at the required voltage. I should have tweaked in smaller voltage intervals.

Last edited:
even if the noctua does perform better we are talking 1 or 2 degrees at most. (and remember, as always ymmv) i think i would save the $30 and go with a thermalright or megahalems.

I got this mobo - GA-X58A-UD3R

The Noctua NH-D14 looks huge but also insanely quiet compared to most others...
I'd be happy with 3.6 :D:D

Just ordered the Cogage TRUE. Everything I have read on this site points me to this price point! Excited, can't wait - hopefully I won't have to constantly monitor my temps worrying that I'm getting too hot. :D

Holy crap the D14 is a monster.

Looks like that best would strain the hell out of the mobo :confused:

What about something a weeee-bit smaller :eek:

Holy crap the D14 is a monster.

Looks like that best would strain the hell out of the mobo :confused:

What about something a weeee-bit smaller :eek:

Unfortunately, the size and weight will have to be a huge compromise. The smaller aftermarket coolers do not perform sufficiently better than the freebie stock Intel boxed CPU cooler to justify spending money on.

By the way, I got my i7-920 on that Intel-brand motherboard to a semi-[H]ard 3.8GHz with a 1.3000V Vcore and 1.300V VTT (with the cooler now listed in my sig). So far, it's Prime95-stable at these settings, and the TJunction did not get oppressively high. I will re-run the test using LinX, and see what happens. I did initially try this test at 3.8GHz with the Vcore and VTT set at 1.275V, but the system crashed and rebooted when running Prime95.

Last edited:
Noctua NH-U12P is still a decent sized system.

What if I only want to go to 3ghz, but keep it nearly silent.. what cooler would everyone suggest for that ????

no mention of the Corsair H50? keeps my 4.2GHz 920 in the low 80's with the stock fan and setup as exhaust. and its way more silent the most of the big air coolers

Yeah, that was my concern stock HS/F normally are loud IMHO.

Hoping I can find after-market one that is near silent, and not that big :eek:

Yeah, that was my concern stock HS/F normally are loud IMHO.

Hoping I can find after-market one that is near silent, and not that big :eek:

If you want silent you should look at either the Noctua NH-U12P or Corsair H50.

I have a Noctua NH-U12P that I use in my HAF 932. The Corsair H50 wasn't out yet when I bought my Noctua.

I'd throw in my vote for the Cogage TRUE Spirit, especially if ~3.6Ghz is all you are looking for. Mine keeps my D0 @ 3.675Ghz, 1.275v at under 70°C full load, idling at ~32°C on the hottest core right now.

I have an i7 860, which isn't exactly a 920 since it has a lower TDP I guess. But for what it's worth:

I have it overclocked to 3.53ghz using 1.33V on the Vcore (I am using EVGA's dummy OC so I guess its inefficient and high on the voltage to ensure stability) using a Cooler Master TX-3 http://www.svc.com/rr-910-htx3-gp.html

Idle temps 44ishC, load temps 58ishC.

Yes, a $15 cooler. I've heard read a lot of good things about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus as well (it is the same thing as mine except bigger [92mm vs 120mm] and has an extra heatpipe for $30). Just to give you some dirt cheap options that will still let you OC.

Noise wise: not loud at all. I have some Zalman fan as exhaust on it as well. The case fans noise (cheap stock Thermaltake fans that came with the case) drown out all the other noise so you might think otherwise.

I have an i7 860, which isn't exactly a 920 since it has a lower TDP I guess. But for what it's worth:

I have it overclocked to 3.53ghz using 1.33V on the Vcore (I am using EVGA's dummy OC so I guess its inefficient and high on the voltage to ensure stability) using a Cooler Master TX-3 http://www.svc.com/rr-910-htx3-gp.html

Idle temps 44ishC, load temps 58ishC.

Yes, a $15 cooler. I've heard read a lot of good things about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus as well (it is the same thing as mine except bigger [92mm vs 120mm] and has an extra heatpipe for $30). Just to give you some dirt cheap options that will still let you OC.

Noise wise: not loud at all. I have some Zalman fan as exhaust on it as well. The case fans noise (cheap stock Thermaltake fans that came with the case) drown out all the other noise so you might think otherwise.

And you are loading up the CPU with what to get your load temps?

Try Prime95 or IntelBurnTest with 8 threads and see what you come up with.

So you post a link that doesnt put the D14 against a TRUE.

And a website no one has heard of. Sorry but i Trust [H]ardocp > vortex something.

Besides even if its 1c better, that 1c to me isnt worth $30 extra.

Basically you proved my point TRUE > D14

Funny that a website "noone" has heard have managed to review the Rampage III Extreme before anyone else apart from OC3D...

Love this heatsink. Have it on my i7 920 right now. I have always been a big Thermalright fan, but I am happy I gave this a shot.

This thing installed much more smoothly than any of the Thermalright products I have owned, and it doesn't need a washer to stay snug ;)

Sorry for the jab, I still like Thermalright, but this things is very nice. Comes with TWO high quality fans, and the TIM is good stuff.

Don't let the price sway you either. When you think about it, the fans that come with this sell for $20+ by themselves. It's really not a bad overall price considering.

Anyway, just wanted to give my +1 for this sink. You really can't go wrong when you get into this price bracket though.

Back