• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 920 in a SG03

dys13

n00b
Joined
Jan 20, 2010
Messages
16
Hello, I have some questions about my rig. I've seen that a lot of ppl here have a similar set up, so I hope I can benefit from your experience.

Here is the set up:
SG03
i7 920 + NT06-E
inward darkpower pro 450W for extraction
stock 120mm intake fan
additionnal noctua S12B intake fan on the front
Evercool fox 1 on the top of the back for additionnal extraction.

What is the average idle/burn temp I can expect with this set up? I'm wondering cause I can't pass OCCT test. So I don't know if this is normal or if I mess something with thermal paste

thanks for feedbacks!
 
Hello, I have some questions about my rig. I've seen that a lot of ppl here have a similar set up, so I hope I can benefit from your experience.

Here is the set up:
SG03
i7 920 + NT06-E
inward darkpower pro 450W for extraction
stock 120mm intake fan
additionnal noctua S12B intake fan on the front
Evercool fox 1 on the top of the back for additionnal extraction.

What is the average idle/burn temp I can expect with this set up? I'm wondering cause I can't pass OCCT test. So I don't know if this is normal or if I mess something with thermal paste

thanks for feedbacks!

Jeez I don't know for sure but I'm not surprised. In Tom's May'09 System Builder Marathon they used the Intel boxed cooler and had to undervolt the CPU to avoid overheating... If I remember right it was already a problem with Core2Quads, and the 920's TDP is quite a bit higher...
 
I initially had an SG03 but the heat was crazy even with the sides open. Of course I did also had a GF260 in the mix. Eventually took it back cause I didn't want to have any issues down the road. If I had my CoolIT ALC on hand then I may have changed my mind.
 
The SG03 is just fine for an i7, but in 920 guise, it can NOT get rid of the heat your motherboard produces because the X58 chipset + onboard VREGs will cook the inside of the SG03, which has nearly no exhaust capability and very poor intake.

The CPU heat is best managed with a Corsair H50, though that takes up one 120mm front intake slot. I would recommend modding the top for a 120mm exhaust and stepping down to a i5 750 or i7 860 if you are intent on staying with near top of the line.

Also, I realize you're using your PSU to try to exhaust the heat. Have you felt your power supply lately? It probably will scald your hand, and will likely die within a year or less. The internals must be 50-60C in that thing if you're using it to exhaust.
 
Last edited:
Not good news here...

I'm so disapointed I invested in NT06-, noctua S12B (not the best choice I know, it seems to push air on the outside of the fan), and fox 1... for nearly 0 amelioration..

Guess I'll need to rework the whole thing.
 
so far, everything I did is improving the gpu (HD5850) temp a lot. 35° in idle
but the cpu is still beetween 45 and 50 in idle, I think I might have put to much thermal paste.

when I do the performance test of dawn of war 2 with full 1080p graphics:
http://www.mediafire.com/?m2kwgfyzzyf

Cpu is 65°C and GPU is 60¨
it was around 75 for both before.

I guess it's ok. I don't really know what to think. Is it too hot? or bearable?
The psu is not that hot for info.
 
Yeah I had an SG03 and a Q9300... heat was pretty intense in there with my 8800GTS. I wouldn't expect to overclock at all, unless you modify it significantly.

However, like was said, definitely go with the H50, and if you can, the crossflow fan? That might help some. Or a PCI slot fan up top in the back there. That might make it manageable actually.

I'm kinda interested to try it again because I love the design of it.
 
Last edited:
The H50 is the best way to go or possibly the new CooliT unit. Forget the crossflow fan. Its loud and not very efficient. The best thing to do for exhaust on a SG03 in my opinion is to cut a 120mm blow hole in top near the back and put a quiet 120mm fan to exhaust air flow out that way. For intake put the H50 radiator on the top and a good 120mm fan on the bottom. I use a Scythe S-Flex 'F' model instead of the original case fans. Quiet and moves a lot of air.
 
The H50 is the best way to go or possibly the new CooliT unit. Forget the crossflow fan. Its loud and not very efficient. The best thing to do for exhaust on a SG03 in my opinion is to cut a 120mm blow hole in top near the back and put a quiet 120mm fan to exhaust air flow out that way. For intake put the H50 radiator on the top and a good 120mm fan on the bottom. I use a Scythe S-Flex 'F' model instead of the original case fans. Quiet and moves a lot of air.

I used the 120mm blow hole. It worked, but not with the big amount I was expecting. Then again, I was using the NT06, not the H50 (was not out at that point in time). Load temps were uncomfortably high, and idle temps weren't good either. That's why I ended up getting rid of my SFF and went on to bigger and better things.
 
Yeah I had an SG03 and a Q9300... heat was pretty intense in there with my 8800GTS. I wouldn't expect to overclock at all, unless you modify it significantly.

However, like was said, definitely go with the H50, and if you can, the crossflow fan? That might help some. Or a PCI slot fan up top in the back there. That might make it manageable actually.

I'm kinda interested to try it again because I love the design of it.

It works fine, if you use a cool running motherboard and an H50... that exhausts out front.

I would use the top to intake and the bottom fan to intake (which is pretty useless but provides some fresh air to your GPU).

You also can not use a 5870 or similar though (a 5850 is about the max size), because then you'd be limited to a slim fan on the bottom, which are nearly useless for airflow.

As long as your motherboard doesn't toss much heat, your system will be fine because your CPU heat will moved out of the case via the H50.
 
Do you think that evercool fox1 helps all that much? Is it noisy?

I have the same set up as Skott, H50 but with an i7 860 @ 3.6ghz. My idle temp is 36-40C and like 76-77C under linx or prime95. I'm not too worried about the load temp since I havent seen it go pass mid 50s in regular uses. What worries me is the vreg temps since that generally runs 7-9C hotter than what the current CPU temp. Maybe adding a slot cooler may help a bit since I don't have any intentions to mod my sg03.
 
The Fox-1 is pretty silent, then again my computer is near my TV and I'm sitting in a sofa 3meter away, so I can't really tell.

However it doesn't blow that much air, I can't feel a real difference here. I have some trouble with intake fans so my pressure must be negative inside the case with the fox1, it might be more usefull when I will change my front fans.


I'm not too worried about the load temp since I havent seen it go pass mid 50s in regular uses. What worries me is the vreg temps since that generally runs 7-9C hotter than what the current CPU temp.
Out of all my temps, the VREG seems the highest except for when CPUs are in load


In the end, I can't tell if I should worry about those temps or just roll with it
 
Last edited:
yeah I've read this one like ten times, I bought the fox 1 just because of this thread =)

On a side note here is an intresting chart :
1226011110d3tsPggvNr_1_1.gif



You can see that a i7 usually runs at 40 to over 70° @stock.
 
You also can not use a 5870 or similar though (a 5850 is about the max size), because then you'd be limited to a slim fan on the bottom, which are nearly useless for airflow.

Think so? I'm seriously thinking about slipping in a thin fan on the front bottom and replacing the 8800GT KO with a 5870 and going for a three 22" LCD Eyefinity set up. I'm using a i5 750 though so less heat output than a i7 920.

Also fellow SFF users remember that CooliT has that new GPU cooler. The larger SFF cases may be able to utilize it.
 
Think so? I'm seriously thinking about slipping in a thin fan on the front bottom and replacing the 8800GT KO with a 5870 and going for a three 22" LCD Eyefinity set up. I'm using a i5 750 though so less heat output than a i7 920.

Also fellow SFF users remember that CooliT has that new GPU cooler. The larger SFF cases may be able to utilize it.

Yea I have Kaze Jyuni Slims in 1600 & 1900. 1900 is OK (maybe 30-40CFM) but are intolerably loud, 1600s are pretty useless for airflow.
 
Back
Top