• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 920 d0 looking for some advice

eViL_M@LuM

Crosshair's Nephew
Joined
Aug 28, 2002
Messages
3,688
So i've done loads of research and still cant find solid answers... so now it's time to post.

i7 920 d0 stepping I'm looking for 4.4stable
foxconn flaming blade gti
ocz gold ddr31600... it runs 1600 but not much over
xigmatek rifle cooler "not adequate in my opinion"
cooler master 830 nvidia edition 5x120mm fans

current oc
cpu 200x20 4ghz 1.29v
memory 200x8... 1604mhz... my board failed math... 1.65v 8 8 8 20
qpi is @ 18x
nb is @ 16x

intel burn test @ maximum = ~75c which from what I've read is still in the safe zone... but if I want to achieve 4.4 "which even @ 1.37v is unstabe" I presume i'll need 1.4-1.45 which will put me over the heat threshold.

advice i'm looking for is alternate air cooling that would suffice what I'm looking for. Also looking for info on setting others have used for the 4.1-4.4 range on your d0's. I know they're not all the same but every bit of info helps.

last but not least if you have something negative ie "what do you need it for? ..... not another d0 question..., use the search function...." ect ect they're uneeded....

Thanks to everyone who does help.
 
You're venturing into unrecommended voltages there, but that's not to say they aren't safe. Also don;t assume your D0 can get much over 4Ghz, it's more likely to than a C0 but you cant guarantee any chip will overclock the same as the next or at all for that matter.

TRUE
Corsair H50
Megahalems

are 3 of the top and popular choices of coolers for i7 overclocking that will help you cool @ 1.4-1.45v

For fans try using 2 fans in a push/pull setup, the oboave 3 mentioned have shown better cooling results this way. The 1600RPM/1900RPM Scythe Slipstream and the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM/1850RPM are popular as they achieve high airflow without being loud.
 
Last edited:
Some just dont run that fast. Mine would boot at 4.4 with water cooling, but wasn't windows stable.
 
First, yes 4.4 is hardly guaranteed even with D0 as not all are created equal. Mine for instance is voltage hungry so thank God I got my little monster cooler to tame it.
Top 3 coolers

Noctua NH-D14
Venomous X
Megahalems
Any of those would be my choice to keep temps in check.
 
Thanks for the advice, I can boot windows and run basic tasks @ 220x20 1.37v fails after 20mins of prime but the temps get around 85C. The chip seems like it's a solid overclocker. HWmon shows 1.28v under load @ 200x20 running intel burn @ maximum x 30loops with prime running in the background as well.

looks like the local BB has the H50 for 59.99.... even though I prefer air I believe that'd be my best route for the money.
 
Last edited:
.....h50 with push pull 88cfm yate loon fans
215x20 4.3ghz @ 1.37v load
had to turn off HT, PPM, and Virt off
prime stable with temps hitting 68c under full load ambient 70f
 
For giggles I just ordered 7 x Scythe Slipstream 110cfm 37dba fans to replace my current system fans.... Should sound very turbo jettish when it starts up
 
For giggles I just ordered 7 x Scythe Slipstream 110cfm 37dba fans to replace my current system fans.... Should sound very turbo jettish when it starts up

Damn good fans! Maybe a bit 'turbo jetish' but they don't sound like regular fans. Push heaps of air though :) Putting 2 in push/pull on the H50? Try it and see if it's any better.
 
I don't know about the other coolers but I can tell you that my megahalem has been excellent. Don't forget to use good thermal paste though, it can make or break temps!! Lapping can also drop temps down a bunch as well - depending on how crazy you want to get.

I'm not home now but IIRC I bumped the voltage just a little bit (I think 1.325) and run at 4.3, have a push/pull with Scythe Kama-Flex http://www.crazypc.com/products/sa1225fdb12h-58478H.html and get around 77C on full load after several minutes (seems like that is only 1 core though). I have all CPU options on (HT, etc). My cooler and CPU are not lapped and I am using shin-etsu paste.
 
Back
Top