• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 - 920 Availability question

Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
3,032
Hey guys...my system is obviously ancient at this point as you can tell by my sig... :( ..I want to put together a nice gift for myself around christmas or maybe around January. I've been out of the game for a long time and need some good advice.

Just wondering if there are any plans to stop manufacturing this chip and what is the best stepping/version to get for overclockability and best online place to buy to make sure I get that version.

I will be running air cooling so if you guys can reccomend me a good motherboard and ram combo (6 gigs), and heatsink/fan combo I would appreciate it.
 
Personally I am building this:

i7 920
Gigabyte x58 UD5
6x 2 GB ram
Corsair H50 cooler
Lancool K62 case
AMD 5970 (when it comes out)
2x 120 GB Agility in raid 0
 
You'd be hard pressed to find a place that still sells the older C0 stepping. AFAIK the i7 920 is going to be phased out but it's still available in most places.

Asus and EVGA mobos have been pretty popular. There's enough variety where you can get a board with lots of extras (sli/crossfire, more ram slots, etc.) or something a little more budget friendly. As far as cooling, most will suggest the TRUE 120 is the way to go, but you'll need quite a bit of room to fit the massive heatsink. I believe the corsair H50 is still on sale at best buys right now for $60 which gives it a decent price-performance ratio with a fairly small size.
 
Sorry for being so vague..I haven't done this in a while..Is there anyway I can tell if the i7 920s on Newegg has the C0 stepping, or do you guys know of any other online website that I can get the C0 stepping from?

Also I was just looking at this motherboard on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

And any recommendations on 6 x 2 gb ram set?

Also, since the chip is going to be phased out, would it be wise for be to go ahead and buy the CPU and then just wait to buy the rest of the components since I wont be completing the build until January?

Thank you
 
Is there anyway I can tell if the i7 920s on Newegg has the C0 stepping, or do you guys know of any other online website that I can get the C0 stepping from?

Just to clarify, you want D0, it's better.

If you want to save some money and don't mind having a few less sata ports and pci slots, I've heard a lot of good things about this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188049

Unless you're planning an overclock of over 4ghz any set of 1600 ram should do, the corsair dominators are fairly popular though the price is heavy. I picked up some OCZ sticks a few months ago--they were half the price of the top end brands and work just as well.
 
I have one of those EVGA boards. It's pretty decent. I hate one 1 PCI thing, but PCI is pretty much on the way out, and only 6 SATA ports is kinda sad, but I'll just pick up a SATA 3 addin card later...
 
The only reason Intel plans to phase out the i7-920 is to make room for the i7-930 which is basically the same chip with a default 21 multiplier instead of the default 20 multiplier on the i7-920. Whenever you decide to build, there will always be something to buy.
 
The only reason Intel plans to phase out the i7-920 is to make room for the i7-930 which is basically the same chip with a default 21 multiplier instead of the default 20 multiplier on the i7-920. Whenever you decide to build, there will always be something to buy.

Even so, it's not like the i7 920 will become entirely obsolete. However, if you can hold off until the i7 930 is released (and assuming it will be priced the same as the 920), I would probably wait for it rather than springing for a 920 today.
 
Even so, it's not like the i7 920 will become entirely obsolete. However, if you can hold off until the i7 930 is released (and assuming it will be priced the same as the 920), I would probably wait for it rather than springing for a 920 today.

Intel is saying first quarter of 2010 on the 930 if you were curious.

Who knows when it really releases and how much but it's basically going to replace the 920. I'm hoping to get a 920 cheap at that point but who knows.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top