• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 870 OC Opinion

david_

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 30, 2012
Messages
2,508
Just helped my friend setup an OC on his i7. He has a Hyper 212+.

Ended up with 3.8ghz (22x173) @ 1.232v w/ Max temps at 82, 83, 78, 80 after 7 hour prime95. That's as low as we could go with the voltage and remain stable.

Does this sound like a reasonable OC on air? I just want to make sure there isn't a setting or something I'm missing.

Turbo Off
Load-Line Calibration Enabled
c1, c3/6 auto
pretty much everything else auto
 
It seems reasonable, I just would have thought the Hyper 212+ would do a better job keeping the temps down than that. From what I've read it seems it compares very well against Thermalright's True Spirit, which I'm using on my Q9550 OC 3.8Ghz and the temps don't even come close to the 80's on Prime95. The closest is one core being a peak for a split second at 72 while the others peaking at 70 and averaging 68 65 64 67. Only time I see any cores coming close to 80 is when running a Maximum Intel Burn Test and this all while my side fan disabled and my 120mm exhaust fan is blown out.

Still not bad though and should be fine.
 
That's not bad...temps are a little high but you will never reach that using normal apps or playing games. 3.8GHz is about the average for the 870. Start to worry if your prime95 or IBT starts to reach 90+ C.
 
Back
Top