• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7-860 Which ITX Board?

updawg

Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2010
Messages
609
I just got an i7-860 and have an H50 water cooler which board will be most compatible with both of these? I know some require modding of the backplate.

What is your vote:
ECS H55
Zotac H55
DFI P55
Intel H55

or wait for the Gigabyte H55N-USB3
 
I'd say DFI P55, has a more robust power circuitry than the rest. No modding required
 
How are the latest bios though? I was reading that wireless adapters don't work and that settings don't save under the bios menu unless done a certain way.
 
I have two of these dfi itx boards and really like them. I used my wusb600n ver.2 on one of them without issues, but still prefer wired connection for consistency. I heard similar issues about the bios problems but haven't upgraded either of my systems yet as I want to be sure there will be no issues.
 
Well I'm not ready yet to pull the trigger but I really just want the gigabyte board to be released so I can make my decision.
 
There is some debate if the ECS H55H-I will accept a 95w cpu. I think I will have a 95w 750 in the shop by weeks end to test it out.
 
I just looked up the Gigabyte and it looks awesome. I wish I was ready to do a new built but I just built my current mATX rig last month.

Gigabyte Mini-ITX

Any idea when/if this will hit the street?
 
Yeah scratch the intel and the ECS until we get a definite answer if it supports the higher TDP processors.
 
The gigabyte board might not be all it is cracked up to be. The DFi is currently the best board and probably will be for the next few months. The USB issues seem to be a vocal few for wireless adapters but then again no one really knows why they have these issues. Almost like a lucky set of circumstances causes it :)
 
Per intel the h55/h57 does not support the lynnwood CPU's. Thus for an i7-860 in MiniITX it leaves only the DFI P55 board.

Edit: thats not to say it wont work in others, I have the Intel for example & I have yet to see any Confirmed Reports that it will work. The closest is a snippet on Anand's review of the board saying it did, but no detail.
 
I should have the 95w i5-750 in my shop tomorrow. I'll post this weekend if it worked or blew up the ECS H55H-I board lol.
 
I just looked up the Gigabyte and it looks awesome. I wish I was ready to do a new built but I just built my current mATX rig last month.

Gigabyte Mini-ITX

Any idea when/if this will hit the street?

I think late April, forgot where I read it though.

Terrible placement of the CPU socket though, I would buy it in a second if it wasn't for that.

This'll replace the DFI MI P55-T36 for sure. USB3 and there'll definitely be better BIOS support.

Edit: To answer your question OP, I think you should get the DFI if;
Not overclocking (Crap BIOS)
Want a larger cooler
Don't mind not having USB3

Wait for the Gigabyte if;
Don't mind small cooler (only if they don't change the socket placement)
Want USB3
Probably better support
Overclocking
More SATA (1 more, I think)
 
Last edited:
The DFI should still be the best OC choice if you have a Quad, and has been pretty good on me.

DFI MI-P55 is way to go if you plan to overclock a quad, want a good cooling solution and could use RAID.

The others don't support RAID, USB3 is still pretty limited in support and the gigabyte doesn't really have the power circuitry to overclock a Quad. I don't expect they to change socket placement so far in the development so cooling will be even more limited
 
I don't know about unofficial support, or what people have gotten away with, but here are the manufacturer supported CPUs for the boards you've looking at.

ECS H55H-I
ECS Website said:
Intel Core i5™ 750s (B1) (82W)
Intel Core i5™ 670 (C2) (73W)
Intel Core i5™ 661 (C2) (87W)
Intel Core i5™ 660 (C2) (73W)
Intel Core i5™ 650 (C2) (73W)
Intel Core i7™ 870s (B1) (82W)
Intel Core i7™ 860s (B1) (82W)
Intel Core i3™ 540 (C2) (73W)
Intel Core i3™ 530 (C2) (73W)
Intel Pentium G6950 (C2) (73W)
Zotac H55ITX-A-E
Zotac Website said:
Tested CPU
CPU type Speed CMOS CPU power
Core i5-750* 2.66GHz 45nm 95W
Core i5-670 3.46GHz 32nm 73W
Core i5-661 3.33GHz 32nm 87W
Core i5 650 3.20GHz 32nm 73W
Core i3 540 3.06GHz 32nm 73W
Core i3 530 2.93GHz 32nm 73W
Pentium G6950 2.80GHz 32nm 73W
DFI MI P55-T36
DFI Website said:
Okay, so their site isn't working for me, but we all know it does i7s. :p
Intel DH57JG
Intel Website said:
I3-540
I3-530
I5-680
I5-670
I5-661
I5-660
I5-650
G6950

Not much choice here. :( It's either use the DFI board or buy one of the special low power i7 CPUs. Well, that or throw caution to the wind and hope one of the other boards will both recognize the i7-860 and won't go *poof* when powering it.

I'm hoping to build an ITX with an i7 myself, and it's really frustrating having so little choice. Hopefully Gigabyte's H55 can handle run of the mill i7s.
 
I'm hoping to build an ITX with an i7 myself, and it's really frustrating having so little choice. Hopefully Gigabyte's H55 can handle run of the mill i7s.

I Built an ITX with an i3.. & Then when I realized it wasn't enough power & I couldn't really do a real upgrade I am now going back to a micro atx. Biggest drawback though was in video since it was most important to have a small footprint I Couldn't get any larger then a 5750 in my chosen case (q07)
 
Back
Top