• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7 860 weakest link!

highkoo81

n00b
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
4
Alright so im going for a stable 4ghz on my 860, three of the cores are totally ok with that but one of them is not.
I am running 22x182 = 4015.
1.3vcore in bios - 1.352 load
1.25vtt
vdimm 1.65 as spec'd by Ram.
All features disabled including HT as she just gets too hot and all im trying to run is FSX which doesnt seem to care if its on or not, only thing left on EIST @ auto to allow for the extra 22 Multi keeping bclock and vtt as low as possible.

All Cores 0,1,2,3. are LinX 25 pass stable @ 20000 load temps max 76c
All Cores 0,1,2,3. OCCT stable 12hrs load temps max 70c
P95 on the other hand....
Cores 0,1,3. 12hrs blend test, small fpu stable.
Core ,2 physical core (3) 38m = Fail.

I have tried different Multi + Bclk configurations all resulting in pretty much the same thing... so my conclusion, core (2) physical core (3) is my weak link.

Now my question is, is there anything i can do about this, do the PCH\PLL voltages help in anyway when overclocking... anyone else run into a similar issue and found a magic bullet?

Any help, insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
 
You do realize that there is no guaranty that you can hit 4.0 GHz. I would try the same settings at 3.8 GHz and verify the lesser core is still stable at that.
 
im at 21x191 4017 i have HT on and eist off. yes the pch/pll voltage does help. i have the same cooler idle @42-45 and heavy loads 63c i had mine on a P55 and it runs better on my H57.
 
Last edited:
My 860 overclcocks like ass too. Bump down your multi to verify BCLK stability and if it passes bump up the vcc a hair. Linpack will put a bigger load onto your cpu and with loadline this will cause more vcore which could be why you pass that but not prime and is generally why I don't use loadline. You should be able to get away with a lower VTT, keep in mind that the recommended max vtt according to Intel is 1.19v.
 
My VTT has to be at 1.30v for 4.0Ghz or 4.2Ghz

Alot of people run 1.35-1.40VTT without any problems yet. I am water cooled too though.
 
im at 21x191 4017 i have HT on and eist off. yes the pch/pll voltage does help. i have the same cooler idle @42-45 and heavy loads 63c i had mine on a P55 and it runs better on my H57.

Your getting 63c heavy loads with HT on just doing normal pc, games stuff right?

Running LinX with HT on for me with Megahalems i get around 80c @ 4ghz HT on
 
My 860 overclcocks like ass too. Bump down your multi to verify BCLK stability and if it passes bump up the vcc a hair. Linpack will put a bigger load onto your cpu and with loadline this will cause more vcore which could be why you pass that but not prime and is generally why I don't use loadline. You should be able to get away with a lower VTT, keep in mind that the recommended max vtt according to Intel is 1.19v.

Yeah im starting to think my 860 isnt one of the best, but at least she's giving me 4ghz HT off with temps that wont kill.
 
Your getting 63c heavy loads with HT on just doing normal pc, games stuff right?

Running LinX with HT on for me with Megahalems i get around 80c @ 4ghz HT on

games yes , video encoding , everyday stuff , i dont run stuff that creates a unrealistic usage and temps.

HisSvt2oc.jpg
 
My VTT has to be at 1.30v for 4.0Ghz or 4.2Ghz

Alot of people run 1.35-1.40VTT without any problems yet. I am water cooled too though.

A lot of people run over Intels max recommended VCC and VTT on 775, 1366, 1156. It's still something to be aware of. I can run a 200 BCLK with 1.19 vtt with my ram at 1600mhz but like I said at a high clock speed my chip eats a lot of juice.

Have you tried compensating for a lower VTT with a bit more VCC? I know every chip plays differently. I was just wondering.
 
A lot of people run over Intels max recommended VCC and VTT on 775, 1366, 1156. It's still something to be aware of. I can run a 200 BCLK with 1.19 vtt with my ram at 1600mhz but like I said at a high clock speed my chip eats a lot of juice.

Have you tried compensating for a lower VTT with a bit more VCC? I know every chip plays differently. I was just wondering.

yea, unfortunately I need 1.30v VTT.
 
Back
Top