i7 860 or X3440

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must have at least 50,000 points to sell items in the DC FS/FT area.
You must post your Hardfolding badge in your initial post.
Failure to meet both of these requirments will result in the thread being deleted.

fyi the xenon cpu's can be had at newegg cheaply and most motherboards support them too. I know my asrock p55 extreme does, though if you get an older bios you would need to flash.

I'm back with more pernts. It looks like I'm getting an i7 860 for $240 shipped from the main FS forum. Would anyone suggest the x3440 for any reason besides cost? It would only be $30 more to get one of Newegg so if there was a major binning advantage then I might get one of those instead.

Last edited:
I'm back with more pernts. It looks like I'm getting an i7 860 for $240 shipped from the main FS forum. Would anyone suggest the x3440 for any reason besides cost? It would only be $30 more to get one of Newegg so if there was a major binning advantage then I might get one of those instead.

Can't tell you much on the x3440, but I run a couple i7-860 procs folding -bigadv units. One is currently at 3.7 GHz and the other at 3.6 GHz, both under Corsair H50 units for cooling with 8 GB of DDR3 on Gigabyte P55-UD3R boards. I know there were some early problems with some of the foxconn sockets when OC'ing on the 1156 sockets, but I'm certain that most of those issues were quietly worked out. The 860 is still a good, solid CPU if that's what you wanted to go with.

I know there were some early problems with some of the foxconn sockets when OC'ing on the 1156 sockets, but I'm certain that most of those issues were quietly worked out.
Even those issues were only a concern when running very high overclocks. They were never a problem for the average enthusiast.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back