i7 860 lost 2 out of 4 cores??

Silent Knight

[H]ard|Gawd
So, i was doing my stuff as always when i suddenly want to take the temperature readings for reference. And when i launched CPUz and Real Temp, they showed only 2 cores being active.
1.jpg

I did check the BIOS and the Active Processor has only 3 options: All, 1, 2. I also tried with another clean OS, still 2 cores 4 threads. IIRC then i had one or two POST error a few weeks ago. But i thought it was like many other times when the power is lost and i just have to go to the BIOS, do nothing and exit.

Long story short: Is it possible to have 2 cores die just like that? The CPU warranty was expired, this is a tray model but it ran without problem for the last year.

Yes, i did that manually and nothing changed.

You shouldn't need to change that. Leave it blank, unchecked.

A few things I'd suggest:

1. Remove the CPU and check for bent socket pins. Also check underneath the CPU for any dark marks or smudges.
  2. Loosen the CPU cooler a little.
  3. Clear your CMOS (jumper + remove battery).
  4. Maybe try updating your BIOS?

You shouldn't need to change that. Leave it blank, unchecked.

A few things I'd suggest:

1. Remove the CPU and check for bent socket pins. Also check underneath the CPU for any dark marks or smudges.
  2. Loosen the CPU cooler a little.
  3. Clear your CMOS (jumper + remove battery).
  4. Maybe try updating your BIOS?

cpu's either work or they dont work, i have NEVER encountered a cpu that worked half way, it would have to be destroyed to such precisional level...

go into bios and see if you got a cpu limit on or if hyper threading is enabled(just for a test) try using other software for cpu reporting, btw does task manager show 4 cores?

Task Manager shows 4 threads (instead of the original 8). I tried to load default BIOS settings and it fixed nothing.

I'll try to clear the CMOS and see if it helps.

I second a removal and physical inspection of the CPU and board.

Also, do you have another board or CPU you could use to test things out?

Try loading a live cd for linux and see what it reports as core count.

It maybe your windows install is just borked.

there are options in the BIOS you can set the # of active cores sometimes, too. maybe root around in there.

I did a visual check on the CPU and mainboard. Here's the result:

There is a single dark spot on one of the contact spots. You can see it on the right side:
WP_20130410_003%255B1%255D.jpg

No visual bent pin, at least to my eyes:
WP_20130410_008%255B1%255D.jpg

I second a removal and physical inspection of the CPU and board.

Also, do you have another board or CPU you could use to test things out?
P55/H55 boards are hard to find these days. I'm asking around for someone that owns one.
you are using an engineering sample?
Yes.
there are options in the BIOS you can set the # of active cores sometimes, too. maybe root around in there.
I left it at "All" all the time.

Last edited:
u know what.

you should go back to msconfig, boot, advanced

and UNCHECK the number of processors.

This would be a great job for *duh duh duh* our Intel rep here in the forums! :D

I doubt the intel rep will support a most likely illegal engineering sample cpu sold/given to an enduser.

He says in OP it was a tray model, I've seen CPU-Z say lots of things were ES that were not.

Huh, the burnt? spot makes me wonder; does anyone have a pin diagram of the contacts for the CPU? Still weird that one "little" fault like that (even on an ES) would make 2 core disappear. Guessing you cannot clean the spot (hope that doesn't sound like a dumb question)?

I doubt the intel rep will support a most likely illegal engineering sample cpu sold/given to an enduser.

This and I've played around as well researched on ES chips that eventually go dud or lose cores due to overvolting, overclocking or even from normal use from a various amount of time of usage. I think it was the Q3** chips that tend to shit itself alot more than others.

This would be a great job for *duh duh duh* our Intel rep here in the forums! :D
I don't think our Intel rep would be kind enough to support for an ES that doesn't belong to an engineer :p
Huh, the burnt? spot makes me wonder; does anyone have a pin diagram of the contacts for the CPU? Still weird that one "little" fault like that (even on an ES) would make 2 core disappear. Guessing you cannot clean the spot (hope that doesn't sound like a dumb question)?
Yup. I tried to rub it gently with alcohol but it didn't disappear.
Hmm, how about disabling HT and seeing what happens?
Will try, thanks.
This and I've played around as well researched on ES chips that eventually go dud or lose cores due to overvolting, overclocking or even from normal use from a various amount of time of usage. I think it was the Q3** chips that tend to shit itself alot more than others.
Looks like you're right. It's a Q3AL model.
DSC04591%2520%255B%255D.JPG

Interesting, well, I would take 4 cores without HT over 2 cores with HT anyday.

What happens when you enable it again?

Interesting, well, I would take 4 cores without HT over 2 cores with HT anyday.

What happens when you enable it again?
Enabling it again makes the 2 cores "disappear" again.:confused:

Looks like the mainboard or CPU has some problems with the DIMM too. CPUz shows full 8GB but task manager sees only 4GB. I have too move the module to A1 and B1 slot (single channel) to fully utilize them. :mad:
4gb.jpg

Enabling it again makes the 2 cores "disappear" again.:confused:

Looks like the mainboard or CPU has some problems with the DIMM too. CPUz shows full 8GB but task manager sees only 4GB. I have too move the module to A1 and B1 slot (single channel) to fully utilize them. :mad:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q9DFD0dWzu8/UWeITw_wyII/AAAAAAAAAmA/nCMcmQaTW_4/s1280/4gb.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I saw a similar problem with memory modules that have not been detected correctly. Was because of a bad contact between the cpu and motherboard.

At least you have it partially working until your system shits itself as a whole then you upgrade to a new platform.

I saw a similar problem with memory modules that have not been detected correctly. Was because of a bad contact between the cpu and motherboard.
Actually it's due to the bent motherboard in my case, i guess.
At least you have it partially working until your system shits itself as a whole then you upgrade to a new platform.
It's an alarm for me. Maybe it's time for Ivy Bridge or even Haswell.

Back