• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I7 860 from E8400

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
2,709
Microcenter has the I7 860 for $219 or the I7 920 for $199. Would the I7 860 or I7 920 be much faster in games then a stock E8400? If I were to upgrade if I went the I7 920 route it would cost me $400 for the MB, Memory and CPU. If I went the I7 860 route it would cost me $300 for the same. The difference being only dual channel ram 2 sticks and the P55 chipset MB as opposed to a X58 chipset MB and triple channel memory.
 
Last edited:
Stock on everything? Um...maybe a little bit faster...I'd just OC the e8400 to around 3.8ghz. May I ask why you are unhappy with the e8400?
 
I'm not unhappy at all. I'm just afraid that it will bottleneck my new 5870 which I get today. I game at 1920x1200 and I'm not sure if the E8400 will bottleneck this extremely fast video card...
 
Maybe at stock speed it could at times but not enough to warrant a $300-400 upgrade in my opinion.
 
Yeah maybe I'll try overclocking my E8400 to something like 3.2 and go from their..
 
You should be able to hit 3.6ghz without many problems. Beyond that will usually depend on the chip and you could hit anywhere from 3.6-4.x ghz.
 
Depends on what resolution you game at too. The higher the res and graphical settings, the CPU becomes a smaller factor.

I went from E6750 @ 3.2GHz to i7 860 stock at 1680x1050. My 4890 was getting CPU bottlenecked. At a higher res it might not have made much of a difference.
 
This would be at 1920x1200
I know the 5870 is faster than a GTX 280 but just for example, this is what I mean... The lower the resolution, the limitation becomes more of a CPU one. The higher the resolution/settings, the GPU is the larger factor. The results start to flatten, regardless of CPU speed, the higher the settings.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-750-core-i7-860-870-processor-review-test/18

Of course, dependent on the game, ones that are better multi threaded will benefit more from a new i7 860 with HT. Plus, the 5870 is awesome. :D
 
What stepping is your E8400? C0 or E0 ? Get CPU-Z if you don't know

E0 overclocks so well it's crazy. I ran 24/7 my E8400 @ 4GHZ with a small vCore bump on a cheap 92mm cooler. I truly feel like the Intel i5/i7 processors are 'overkill' right now for gaming at least.
The premium you pay compared to let's say an E7xxx or E8xxx system is kinda stupid for almost nothing really. (gaming wise)

I'd save my money for a kick ass GPU + better LCD Monitor to be honest
 
Unleash that beast I went from 8400 to 920 because I could but not a big diff in my opinion.
 
Good to know there wasn't a huge difference going to the 920 from e8400. I've got my e8400 on water at 4ghz and I've had it up to 4.5, but it needs some work and tweaking at the higher bus speeds to get it stable. I'm think about getting a 5850 or 5870. I hope the 5850 will OC like crazy and I can save some money. I want a 1ghz GPU :D
 
Back
Top