i7 7700k @ 5Ghz

Seems to me that we had similar rumors when skylake came out. And when Broadwell came out. And haswell.. I don't believe it before Kyle says its so :)

And after reading the article it didn't hold the 5Ghz mark well. 4.9Ghz is close but not the 5 giggy barrier. I read that last part as " KYLO says its so." :p Damn Star Wars on the brain. lol But yeah definitely waiting on what Kyle's impressions are. For some reason I can't get my Skylake 6700K voltage to settle on 3 different boards. It is always bouncing between 1.32-1.39 where as my 3770k and 2500K before it, held 1.35v solid all the time.(overclocked of course) Tried different load line variances, everything. Done with it.

And after reading the article it didn't hold the 5Ghz mark well. 4.9Ghz is close but not the 5 giggy barrier. I read that last part as " KYLO says its so." :p Damn Star Wars on the brain. lol But yeah definitely waiting on what Kyle's impressions are. For some reason I can't get my Skylake 6700K voltage to settle on 3 different boards. It is always bouncing between 1.32-1.39 where as my 3770k and 2500K before it, held 1.35v solid all the time.(overclocked of course) Tried different load line variances, everything. Done with it.
Are you using fixed or offset voltage?

Are you using fixed or offset voltage?

I tried both. Worked on it for a couple of days with a friend and his son. Dropped in his Maximus VIII and sons Sabertooth Z170. Same results. We just chalked it up to a possible bad chip. Just got tired of fooling with all the settings. Its stable performance wise in games, I just haven't in 30 year hobby had a chip voltage shift up and down like this. Can't complain, first chip to have a problem. I am just waiting on 7700K any who.

Seems to me that we had similar rumors when skylake came out. And when Broadwell came out. And haswell.. I don't believe it before Kyle says its so :)
Kyle has already stated CES a couple times I believe.

remember that 5GHz broadwell...remember how broadwell can't even pass 4.2GHz -_-

I wait for silicon lottery to tell me how a CPU overclocks. He is really one of the few that tests enough to really know

1464881823-680745202.jpg

Can't get here soon enough.

According to Kyle, looks like SB and I are going to continue being great bedfellows for awhile longer now.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/12/05/intel_core_i77700k_cpu_synthetic_benchmark_sneak_peek/1
you do realize there is a 30-35% (IIRC) increase or so in SKL/Kaby over SB? Additionally there are new instructions and massive improvements in memory that make a large difference? Also if you don't force max freq there has been huge improvements in snappieness with intel speedshift beyond the >30%?

wait...why am i bothering trying to inform willful ignorance? I was going to mention IBMs rapid response study again....for the 300th time? But why do i bother trying to dispel ignorance :/

I bet you leave all those heinous OS transitions that fuck up rapid responses too -_-

According to Kyle, looks like SB and I are going to continue being great bedfellows for awhile longer now.

lol, you're ignoring a lot of small gains each generation in between SB and KB, which adds up to a lot of freaking speed, and tons of add-ons. But hey, we can rationalize anything to just keep going.

lol, you're ignoring a lot of small gains each generation in between SB and KB, which adds up to a lot of freaking speed, and tons of add-ons. But hey, we can rationalize anything to just keep going.

This. SKL/KBL+fast memory and you are quickly SB+50%.

you do realize there is a 30-35% (IIRC) increase or so in SKL/Kaby over SB? Additionally there are new instructions and massive improvements in memory that make a large difference? Also if you don't force max freq there has been huge improvements in snappieness with intel speedshift beyond the >30%?

wait...why am i bothering trying to inform willful ignorance? I was going to mention IBMs rapid response study again....for the 300th time? But why do i bother trying to dispel ignorance :/

I bet you leave all those heinous OS transitions that fuck up rapid responses too -_-

You must be fucking joking to think that a 35% increase in performance over my SB is worth me plopping down $700+ for a full platform upgrade smh. :rolleyes:

Pentium 233MMX to a K6-2 500 was worth it.

K6-2 500 to a A1700+XP @1.6GHz was worth it.

A1700+XP @ 1.6GHz to a A2500+XP @ 2.0GHz was kinda of worth it.

A2500+XP @ 2.0GHz to a P4 3.2C @ 3.4GHz was not.

P4 3.2C @ 3.4GHz to a A64 3700+ @ 2.7GHz was worth it.

A64 3700+ @ 2.7GHz to a A64X2 4200+ @ 2.5GHz was not.

A64X2 4200+ @ 2.5GHz to a C2Q 9550 @ 3.8GHz was a fucking awesome upgrade.

C2Q 9550 @ 3.8GHz to a i72600k @ 4.8GHz was a godsend.

If 35% increase in performance is worth it to you as an upgrade, then you are the one that is ignorant and the poster child for why Intel is milking the shit out of the last 4 generations.

I on the other hand rather spend that money on my cars, my house, my wife, my kids ECT.

But by all means, go ahead and have your tantrum to try and get people to upgrade for a paltry 10-15FPS increase.

And let me guess, you are going to reply with a bunch of cherry picked benches telling me shit I already know GTFO.

Nah I'm not ignoring the gains or the add ons. I just want to be wowed again and this gen just isn't getting my dick hard.
I'm a lot wiser with my money now than I use to be, sucks getting old.

You must be fucking joking to think that a 35% increase in performance over my SB is worth me plopping down $700+ for a full platform upgrade smh. :rolleyes:

Pentium 233MMX to a K6-2 500 was worth it.

K6-2 500 to a A1700+XP @1.6GHz was worth it.

A1700+XP @ 1.6GHz to a A2500+XP @ 2.0GHz was kinda of worth it.

A2500+XP @ 2.0GHz to a P4 3.2C @ 3.4GHz was not.

P4 3.2C @ 3.4GHz to a A64 3700+ @ 2.7GHz was worth it.

A64 3700+ @ 2.7GHz to a A64X2 4200+ @ 2.5GHz was not.

A64X2 4200+ @ 2.5GHz to a C2Q 9550 @ 3.8GHz was a fucking awesome upgrade.

C2Q 9550 @ 3.8GHz to a i72600k @ 4.8GHz was a godsend.

If 35% increase in performance is worth it to you as an upgrade, then you are the one that is ignorant and the poster child for why Intel is milking the shit out of the last 4 generations.

I on the other hand rather spend that money on my cars, my house, my wife, my kids ECT.

But by all means, go ahead and have your tantrum to try and get people to upgrade for a paltry 10-15FPS increase.

And let me guess, you are going to reply with a bunch of cherry picked benches telling me shit I already know GTFO.

let me guess you never heard of IBMs study from the 80s?

http://jlelliotton.blogspot.com/p/the-economic-value-of-rapid-response.html

now STFU.

Do yourself a favor and remove all those heinous OS delays and worry about single thread since everything you do uses single thread.

web browsing, PDFs, word, excel, basic OS functions, >99% of all programs, OCR, EVERYTHING uses single thread and close to instant responses the better. If you use 7 remove that heinous fade shit that adds a forced 250ms transition.

every windows wastes not 250ms of your time but >1s of your time....how many windows do you open and close a day? I do that 100s if not 1000s of times a day. I save a lot of freakin time by removing OS BS and having a snappy system.

Let me guess your system also doesn't stay at max freqs too? force max feqs since you dont have intel speed shift...intel speed shift has made a huge difference.

SpeedShift.png

yes thats right SKL/Kaby lake isn't just 30-35% faster. It is actually >2x faster and maybe even 3x due to IPC and speed shift assuming you aren't forcing max clocks.

so yes STFU :p

Last edited:
This. SKL/KBL+fast memory and you are quickly SB+50%.

I'll admit if money was no issue, I would of jumped on DC. But I decided to hold out for a second coming like SB was, but the writing is on the wall and I don't think we'll get that hail mary.

By the time CL is here, I will regardless of the gains.

I'll admit if money was no issue, I would of jumped on DC. But I decided to hold out for a second coming like SB was, but the writing is on the wall and I don't think we'll get that hail mary.

By the time CL is here, I will regardless of the gains.
second coming won't happen until a material change or some game changer that magically boosts single thread. But ignore the facts :/ not like common knowledge from the 80s matters...35 years later and people are still willfully ignorant.

let me guess you never heard of IBMs study from the 80s?

http://jlelliotton.blogspot.com/p/the-economic-value-of-rapid-response.html

now STFU.

Do yourself a favor and remove all those heinous OS delays and worry about single thread since everything you do uses single thread.

web browsing, PDFs, word, excel, basic OS functions, >99% of all programs, OCR, EVERYTHING uses single thread and close to instant responses the better. If you use 7 remove that heinous fade shit that adds a forced 250ms transition.

every windows wastes not 250ms of your time but >1s of your time....how many windows do you open and close a day? I do that 100s if not 1000s of times a day. I save a lot of freakin time by removing OS BS and having a snappy system.

Let me guess your system also doesn't stay at max freqs too? force max feqs since you dont have intel speed shift...intel speed shift has made a huge difference.

SpeedShift.png

yes thats right SKL/Kaby lake isn't just 30-35% faster. It is actually >2x faster and maybe even 3x due to IPC and speed shift assuming you aren't forcing max clocks.

so yes STFU :p

I've owned a PC repair shop for the last 13 years and have been upgrading, repairing and building rigs for little fucks like you that love to blow mommy daddy's money for the latest and greatest tech, for the last 20.

So yes I think I know my way around a OS.

And by the way, you should change your name to SomeGuyThatsJustAfuckingTroll.

If you don't like what I post, see your way out of this fucking thread, Your just a glorified armchair expert trying to justify your SL purchase with daddy's money.

You need to get out of the basement, your looking a little pale.

I've owned a PC repair shop for the last 13 years and have been upgrading, repairing and building rigs for little fucks like you that love to blow mommy daddy's money for the latest and greatest tech, for the last 20.

If you don't like what I post, see your way out of this fucking thread, Your just a glorified armchair expert trying to justify your SL purchase with daddy's money.

ah ad hominems at their best ;)

Personal attacks because you have 0 factual basis for your stance.

I guess object evidence hurts your triggered little feelings :'(

evrrt3.jpg

OMG here is some cold hard facts proven 35 years ago showing you how much 30-300% faster system can help.

BTW you avoided saying whether or not you left all those terrible transitions on. Since you used ad hominems and didn't say yes i turned that trash off 7 years ago when the OS came out. I shall assume you haven't lol

it is a pitty IBM never tried 50 and 100 ms response times but this was 1982 so 300ms was pretty awesome back than.

Last edited:

Damn man, be careful with that edge.

ah ad hominems at their best ;)

Personal attacks because you have 0 factual basis for your stance.

I guess object evidence hurts your triggered little feelings :'(

evrrt3.jpg

OMG here is some cold hard facts proven 35 years ago showing you how much 30-300% faster system can help.

BTW you avoided saying whether or not you left all those terrible transitions on. Since you used ad hominems and didn't say yes i turned that trash off 7 years ago when the OS came out. I shall assume you haven't lol

it is a pitty IBM never tried 50 and 100 ms response times but this was 1982 so 300ms was pretty awesome back than.

My personal attacks were in direct response to your personal attacks assuming that I'm ignorant in failing to upgrade from SB, and that I know dick about my OS.

And the reason IBM never tried a lower response time is because Dell was kicking the shit out of them in sales, and the only "response" they could come up with was to make a new radical architecture that was incompatible with their previous software base, thus allowing Dell to swoop in for the kill.

As for the transitions, I'm not using 7, but I am using 8.1. And the only thing I do on that rig is game and watch movies and shows, so if it was to slow down MPC-HT or Steam, I wont shed a tear.

My personal attacks were in direct response to your personal attacks assuming that I'm ignorant in failing to upgrade from SB, and that I know dick about my OS.

And the reason IBM never tried a lower response time is because Dell was kicking the shit out of them in sales, and the only "response" they could come up with was to make a new radical architecture that was incompatible with their previous software base, thus allowing Dell to swoop in for the kill. because i totally made this whole section up to sound smart.

As for the transitions, I'm not using 7, but I am using 8.1. And the only thing I do on that rig is game and watch movies and shows, so if it was to slow down MPC-HT or Steam, I wont shed a tear.

FTFY

what personal attacks? I clearly pointed out obvious things you did not know or willfully ignored.......

and 8.1....ugh have fun with that.

Anyways have fun wasting 1-3 extra second on every click you do with a shotty OS and a non-optimized system. You have been educated. Do as you please.

And the reason IBM never tried a lower response time is because Dell was kicking the shit out of them in sales, and the only "response" they could come up with was to make a new radical architecture that was incompatible with their previous software base, thus allowing Dell to swoop in for the kill.

leaving out the personal attacks,

KB looks to be just a higher clocked SL. So its not ment for people with Skylake to upgrade too. Intel has been doing this for a while now, its just replacement of older systems that is creating money from them. The same old thing will happen till Zen hits.

Now to ignore the changes of IPC from SB all the way to what Intel has now, is kinda misleading. Yeah Intel chips now perform better per core than in the past, but software hasn't been driving the need for more cores, more ipc, etc for quite some time now. That is what you are seeing with peoples buying habits. In the past prior to Windows 7, new OS, new programs have pushed the need fore more CPU horsepower, more CPU cores (once windows and other os's were able to utilize more cores).

There are other parts in the CPU that wasn't talked about either, branch performance has improved greatly per generation base too. Features have been updated and added as well that software take advantage of. But the base performance of the CPU from the amount of cores and IPC hasn't changed, so the need for upgraded, like yourself, wasn't there for most people.

FTFY

what personal attacks? I clearly pointed out obvious things you did not know or willfully ignored.......

and 8.1....ugh have fun with that.

Anyways have fun wasting 1-3 extra second on every click you do with a shotty OS and a non-optimized system. You have been educated. Do as you please.

Yes I willfully ignored the gains, I will forever be scorned now.
And it's common knowledge that IBM fucked over their user base to stop Dell and many other clone makers from making money off of them. But that backfired.
I really wish that you could educate me, but I'll give you a gold star and a A for effort. ;)

leaving out the personal attacks,

KB looks to be just a higher clocked SL. So its not ment for people with Skylake to upgrade too. Intel has been doing this for a while now, its just replacement of older systems that is creating money from them. The same old thing will happen till Zen hits.

Now to ignore the changes of IPC from SB all the way to what Intel has now, is kinda misleading. Yeah Intel chips now perform better per core than in the past, but software hasn't been driving the need for more cores, more ipc, etc for quite some time now. That is what you are seeing with peoples buying habits. In the past prior to Windows 7, new OS, new programs have pushed the need fore more CPU horsepower, more CPU cores (once windows and other os's were able to utilize more cores).

There are other parts in the CPU that wasn't talked about either, branch performance has improved greatly per generation base too. Features have been updated and added as well that software take advantage of. But the base performance of the CPU from the amount of cores and IPC hasn't changed, so the need for upgraded, like yourself, wasn't there for most people.

Well put, I thank you for not trying to cram it down my throat.

Well put, I thank you for not trying to cram it down my throat.

NP I forgot to add some stuff lol

markets/products don't sell if there is no need for them and this is what we have been seeing for the past decade and half. The need for upgrading CPU's to the latest and greatest hasn't been there for software because of the mobile market.

Mobile users want the same software or similar software to run on their systems, because they have less CPU horsepower, developers have been making sure software works on both types of systems which works better for them (larger/ more markets, more sales).

On the gaming front same thing, consoles and mobile are holding back developers from using the most out of today's CPU's. Consoles with paltry graphics and 5 year old CPU cores...... if developers want to maximize profits they make one game that spans over all the base hardware available to them, down side it doesn't push tech forward as much.

I guess I will also continue with my willful ignorance on my SB system because I have seen no real reason to shell out a bunch more money for a new processor just so my OS is more "snappy". It just doesn't make much monetary sense when everything I use my system for works extremely well as is.

If it proves the system can hit over 5Ghz in an extended review, then perhaps I might think about it. But really the only thing making me want to upgrade soon is for an entirely new system with a new Titan XP, not any new Intel chips.

OK, two folks just got days off. Anybody else feel the need to put petty bickering and attacks in my thread? Please just let me know by continuing that behavior below. Thanks.

Back