i7 6700k or i5 6600k, moving from a phenom II x6 3.5GHz

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
I'm looking to make a move from my AMD Phenom II x6 system, to a newer intel build. This system still gets it done for me playing newer games at 1080, however I am planning to purchase a vive. I can buy the more expensive processor, but the question is whether it's worth it. What are your thoughts? Yes, I will plan to OC, but I don't need to break a record.

Thanks for your input.

Personally, I think it'd be hard to go from 6 cores to 4.

If you're building a new system, get [H]ard and go for the 6700K.

Last edited:
6700K, specially since you seem to keep your CPUs for a very long time, but both options are massively faster in any task and any amount of threads compared to the Phenom.

Remember that most games (for now) do not benefit from hyper threading, although that may change. How long do you plan on keeping this CPU?

I would probably recommend the 6600k, since its enough for gaming. You did not mention any editing, which is what the i7 is really good for.

I was in this debacle the last couple days and thought to myself, what's a $100 spanned over the time of my next upgrade? Not much.... I mean, my 2500k lasted since 2011 and if game do start using hyper threading, I'm good-to-go. I do some video editing here and there but it's so far and few in-between I don't really care that much about its performance. I care more about games but it will be nice to have all bases covered.

I went from an 8320@ 4.5 to 6600k @ 4.5. Night and day differences, even in gaming. Huge gains from Diablo 3 to Fallout 4

Back