i7-4960X: New Socket 2011 Motherboards?

Phyltre

Limp Gawd
I know that the rumored September i7-4960X is Socket 2011, but has there been any word on whether it will be accompanied by new chipsets/motherboard releases? I'd heard speculation at the end of last year that future Socket 2011 entries might see or even need a chipset refresh, has there been any word on that?

Just getting my ducks in a row on whiteboarding a build I will need somewhere near the end of the year.

I can see something similar happening like what did with Z68 boards and IB compatibility: some (most) will be fine with a BIOS update, but there may be a few out there that just won't work with the new CPU.

May be best to just wait until IB-E is released and see which MoBos can adapt or if there will be a revisionary release of the X79 chipset.

So far EVGA and ASUS are going to release a new X79 motherboard, but I rather if Intel releases a refresh with more native SATA 3.0 ports, native USB 3.0 and true PCI 3.0 which current X79 boards don't have.

So far EVGA and ASUS are going to release a new X79 motherboard, but I rather if Intel releases a refresh with more native SATA 3.0 ports, native USB 3.0 and true PCI 3.0 which current X79 boards don't have.

There won't be new chipset until Haswell-E

Back