i7 4930K to xeon e5 v2 upgrade?

marcus905

n00b
Hi everyone,

I currently have a desktop that I inherited from my job, a very high end machine at the time, that I wanted to upgrade to accelerate the workloads a bit.

The system is currently:
i7 4930K with no overclock cooled with a Corsair H80i on a GA-X79-UP4 rev 1.1
64GB RAM 8x8GB nonECC ddr3 1600, 4xsamsung on 2 channels, 4xelpida on another 2, 11-11-11-29.
2xR9 280 3GB in crossfire
840 EVO 1TB ssd and, WD Black 2TB and Seagate 4TB HDDs.

My workloads are mainly DB queries on large datasets, 3D renderings and OpenCL, physics simulations and programming.

I was looking at mainly 3 CPUs, all of them are Xeons.

I found a 1680v2 and a 2697v2 at the same price, with one being an unlocked 8 core and the second a locked 12 core. Very different CPUs but due to the overclockability I'd go with the first, even though 5MB more L3 cache might help the DB.

At slightly more than half the price, though, I can find a 2690v2 which is a locked 10 core and more like a middle ground between those, with slightly less performance but more value.

I could buy any of the three CPUs honestly, but I'm a bit undecided since it's not a new platform and I don't want to spend too much on a computer that will probably be replaced in a couple years' time.

EDIT: I'd probably also buy a NVMe or PCIe SSD to further speed it up, but that is something I could carry over to the new configuration so it's not the same.

Thanks.

It would appear at a glance at your workload that you would benefit greatest from more CPU/Threads. Also the 2697 has more extensions. THe MB appears to support 4x Crossfire, probably another 290 or two would help with your 3D.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean when you say that the 2697 has more extensions.

Extra GPUs are a no go, the quad crossfire is unusable as the slots are too close together and only 2 GPUs fit. I could probably replace them if I get better ones at firesale prices, but with the current prices it's very very unlikely.

To be clear with the prices for each option, the 1680v2 is $450 to $500, the 2697v2 is almost the same at $470 to $550, while the 2690v2 is about $270 to $330 -- all of them used.

Any other opinion?

Thanks!

You should be able to get 4.6-4.7Ghz out of the 4930k pretty easily.

Faster RAM would also help with the DB tasks. DDR3-2133 is the sweet/easy to attain speed with an overclocked 4930k.

If it were me and I wanted more cores, I would go with the 1680v2. Pretty sure with the locked ones, you can't even overclock via bclk (base clock). With the unlocked ones, you can run 125Mhz bclk in order to get some different RAM speeds than the default ones and also possibly tweak the CPU speed a bit if it isn't stable at a normal multiplier.

Extensions == CPU Instruction Set

Depending on how your programs utilize them, this may greatly enhance or slow down your performance.

a 1680v2 does not have (the 4930k and the 2697v2 does):
SSE2

MMX

SSE4

SSE3

SSE

SSE4.1

SSE4.2

Supplemental SSE3

I tried overclocking the 4930 already but it's not really stable if I go over 4.1 4.2 on all cores, even increasing the voltage by .15v. I might have gotten a marginal processor to start with.

With all that said I'll probably try to see if I can do something with the bclk straps or if I can get the ram to go at least at 1866 but I'm doubtful about that.

Regarding the extensions they are the same for all processors as the cores are all ivy bridge, so you might have read an incomplete list, Mega6.

Thanks again!
If any of you has any other opinion I'm all ears!

Yeah thats what cpuboss said, Intel would be a better reference. Looked elsewhere and it appears you are correct. blclk typically wont get you much and destabilizes the system by overclocking everything. Not recommended.

Yeah thats what cpuboss said, Intel would be a better reference. Looked elsewhere and it appears you are correct. blclk typically wont get you much and destabilizes the system by overclocking everything. Not recommended.

If you go straight to 125bclk, it uses a different divider so it doesn't overclock everything.

2011 is a completely different beast compared to the more consumer oriented platforms.

Extensions == CPU Instruction Set

Depending on how your programs utilize them, this may greatly enhance or slow down your performance.

a 1680v2 does not have (the 4930k and the 2697v2 does):
SSE2

MMX

SSE4

SSE3

SSE

SSE4.1

SSE4.2

Supplemental SSE3

Are you sure the 1680V2 does not have those instructions? Thats sounds really strange that it would not have those basic instruction sets
Here is the CPU specs according to this websie
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-1680 v2.html
Features
  • MMX instructions
  • SSE / Streaming SIMD Extensions
  • SSE2 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
  • SSE3 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
  • SSSE3 / Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
  • SSE4 / SSE4.1 + SSE4.2 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 4 ?
  • AES / Advanced Encryption Standard instructions
  • AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions
  • F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion instructions
  • EM64T / Extended Memory 64 technology / Intel 64 ?
  • NX / XD / Execute disable bit ?
  • HT / Hyper-Threading technology ?
  • VT-x / Virtualization technology ?
  • VT-d / Virtualization for directed I/O
  • TBT 2.0 / Turbo Boost technology 2.0 ?
  • TXT / Trusted Execution technology

Maybe pick up a dual socket 2011 with a couple E5-2670 CPUs. I have an Asrock dual 2011 and an Intel 2600 dual socket.
They are EEB boards and will fit in a case that can fit an E-ATX and will use a standard PSU. I have been using the EVGA 650-850 Gold on my boards.
Figure 200$ or so for the board, 125$ or so for each CPU, I have been able to get 8 x 4gb Samsung DDR3 1333-R for 30 - 40 used. All parts off ebay.
16 cores and 32 threads, makes a nice work horse. Should last years to come
Then sell your board and i7-4930k, still worth some $$$

You can even use the 8 x 8gb sticks you already have. It does not have to be EEC-R memory.

On the 1680v2 you can get it for cheaper if you find the ones with best offers. I paid 340 for mine last month via Best Offer.

Currently running it at 4.4 GHz. It has all the instructions btw.

Of cou
On the 1680v2 you can get it for cheaper if you find the ones with best offers. I paid 340 for mine last month via Best Offer.

Currently running it at 4.4 GHz. It has all the instructions btw.

Of course it has all the instructions. Ca you post a CPUz pic showing what instructions it has?

jyKuGeg.png

This is before I finalized my OC, but gives you an idea of the instruction sets.

Thank you veery much for posting.
I have 2 duel 2011, e5-2670. And 7 single socket 2011 running 3930k, 4930k, E5-1650 AND 1650v2 CPUs
Running BOINC tasks, primegrid-WCG-Setti and so on. They are great work horses for sure. Love these boards. Xeon CPus are fairly cheap on ebay.
Been thinking my self of getting an E5-1680V2 unlocked 8core to go in my x79 Sabertooth still used as my gaming comp..
Also have no issue at all running memory at 1866 or 2133 with my xeons, or i7 either.

Will have to admit my i5-8600k hexcore smokes my 2011 CPUs because of the newer instructions like AVX2 and the others that some projects can use.
Maybe a good option OP, the 8600k or 8700K are nice CPus if you can make use of the newest instructions
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7 i7-8700K.html
Features
  • MMX instructions
  • SSE / Streaming SIMD Extensions
  • SSE2 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
  • SSE3 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
  • SSSE3 / Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
  • SSE4 / SSE4.1 + SSE4.2 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 4 ?
  • AES / Advanced Encryption Standard instructions
  • AVX / Advanced Vector Extensions
  • AVX2 / Advanced Vector Extensions 2.0
  • BMI / BMI1 + BMI2 / Bit Manipulation instructions
  • F16C / 16-bit Floating-Point conversion instructions
  • FMA3 / 3-operand Fused Multiply-Add instructions
  • EM64T / Extended Memory 64 technology / Intel 64 ?
  • NX / XD / Execute disable bit ?
  • HT / Hyper-Threading technology ?
  • VT-x / Virtualization technology ?
  • VT-d / Virtualization for directed I/O
  • TBT 2.0 / Turbo Boost technology 2.0 ?
  • MPX / Memory Protection Extensions
  • SGX / Software Guard Extensions
  • SMAP / Supervisor Mode Access Prevention
  • SMEP / Secure Mode Execution Protection
  • TXT / Trusted Execution technology
  • TSX / Transactional Synchronization Extensions
Low power features
  • Core C1/C1E, C3, C6, C7 and C8 states
  • Package C2, C3, C6, C7 and C8 states
  • Enhanced SpeedStep technology

Back