i7-3970x 5.0 ghz stable for 24/7. Thoughts And Opinions

Thorin08

Limp Gawd
Currently taking my cpu for a spin, and 5.0 is stable at 1.49 vcore on load and peaks are 79c degrees. I have the intel tuning plan so overclocking it and keeping it running 24/7 isn't really a bothersome issue. Since I've only had mine for 2 weeks I was wondering what other members were doing to theirs to achieve high speeds and nominal temps, and then just let it run and run and run.

More importantly a question that keeps nagging in my head is that I'm surely gonna run into cpu degradation and how much voltage it will keep taking to keep it running at the same speeds before, well she melts. Thermaltake Pro 2.0 extreme water cooler and a MK-1 chassis with superior ventilation is my setup.The temps don't peak 65c degrees ambient in my room for months until the middle of dead summer (Eugene, OR, USA).

are you sure thats the lower voltage you can use for achieve those 5.0ghz?. trust me at 1.49V for 24/7 you will really degrade it FAST as hell.. i've even saw some 3960X degraded fast (even dead) at 1.45V for 24/7 i would instead turn back a bit to 4.5-4.7ghz for 24/7. in a more or less rule most 3960X/3970X require just 1.35V for 4.6ghz.. i would try to not use more than 1.4V or keep the 1.4v as the highest wall and keep some 4.8-4.9ghz..

are you sure thats the lower voltage you can use for achieve those 5.0ghz?. trust me at 1.49V for 24/7 you will really degrade it FAST as hell.. i've even saw some 3960X degraded fast (even dead) at 1.45V for 24/7 i would instead turn back a bit to 4.5-4.7ghz for 24/7. in a more or less rule most 3960X/3970X require just 1.35V for 4.6ghz.. i would try to not use more than 1.4V or keep the 1.4v as the highest wall and keep some 4.8-4.9ghz..

Over clocking is a lot like parenting, you tend to not be as hard on the 2nd one. With that said anyone else running stable above 1.4 vcore?

Hi I have a 3970x since 8 months. At full load temp reach 65, while playing max temp of about 55c.
Overclocked to 4,6ghz with the asrock x79 champion automatic offset overclock. On full load Vcore to 1.4 dropping to 1.34.
I played crysis2 multiplayer (wich I very much suggest) for about 400hours with it.
Now since a month about the oc isn't stable anymore.
I guess your cpu will last for a few months if not a few weeks with that temps, I regret not having delidded mine at the beginning. And very much suggest you to delid it, check also temps behind the cpu if it feels hot a fan on the back of the cpu doesn't hurt, and use liquid metal thermal paste if you delid or in any case the best thermal paste you find. My personal suggestion ;). Don't wait until it degrades!!!

Hi I have a 3970x since 8 months. At full load temp reach 65, while playing max temp of about 55c.
Overclocked to 4,6ghz with the asrock x79 champion automatic offset overclock. On full load Vcore to 1.4 dropping to 1.34.
I played crysis2 multiplayer (wich I very much suggest) for about 400hours with it.
Now since a month about the oc isn't stable anymore.
I guess your cpu will last for a few months if not a few weeks with that temps, I regret not having delidded mine at the beginning. And very much suggest you to delid it, check also temps behind the cpu if it feels hot a fan on the back of the cpu doesn't hurt, and use liquid metal thermal paste if you delid or in any case the best thermal paste you find. My personal suggestion ;). Don't wait until it degrades!!!

what really degrade a CPU in fact its the Voltage much more than temperature, high temperature will cause the CPU to draw a bit more voltage than what it really need.

in the other hand you can't delid that chip or other socket 2011 chip because those chips are soldered internally so no, thats not gonna happen.

I've taken to heart in keeping the v.core under 1.4 for longevity with the chip at the suggestion of many. I had my fun with a couple of bench tests at 5.0 ghz never did get stable above that.

For now she runs at 4.6 ghz 24/7 at 1.368v full load temps never pass 70c.

I'll update if anything changes. Plan to keep it like this.

Last edited:
4.8 if you can get 1.4v stables is def more worth it than 1.5v at 5.0ghz.
you can do records for fun but 24/7 is not a good idea over 1.4

Back