i7 3930K LGA2011 vs i7 2700K LGA1155 vs waiting for Ivey Bridge?

A point to remember is that the -K processors lacks VT-d, which Q9450 have. So you will move to a processor with less virtualisations capabilities and performance.

A point to remember is that the -K processors lacks VT-d, which Q9450 have. So you will move to a processor with less virtualisations capabilities and performance.

A new stepping for the LGA 2011 is suppose to be coming out soon that will fix the VT-d problems in the 39xx CPUs. I think a few websites reported Jan. 20 as the date these should start shipping to customers.

Seems Intel does provides some fairness given the price of Sandy Bridge E :) To bad they do not write it on the spec page.

I was disappointed with that too (My sig is no longer coming soon, its in play, but I haven't overclocked it yet). The next stepping in a month or so is supposed to re-enable VT-d, but I didn't feel like waiting. I had the opportuinity and I jumped on it. That being said, I upgraded from a Q9650 (also un-overclocked, this one I will OC though eventually when i can figure things out).

The difference to me is night and day. At stock with the h100 (medium pump setting) I don't go above 40C while jamming out to SWTOR, I see all 12 cores getting hit at different times while running many background apps and HW monitors on my second monitor. But those hits are barely blipps with the Windows 7 'gadget' that tracks the core useage (not sure how accurate that is though) Its also the first time I pushed past 4 Gigs of Ram useage, I sometimes see six + getting used up.

Its smooth as butter and though I payed alot for it, the opportunity was there to do so and I took it. I am certain Sony Vegas editing will definitely see benefits once i reinstall it, right now I am addicted to SWTOR for the time being and play when I can. For me, knocking of minutes of video processing is worth the extra cash, even though I don't do it that often. Games are games, but my opinion is, if i have the cash, those brief moments of tear assedness will make my inner geek giddy with nerdtastic pleasure :D

In my search for confirmation that 3930K was supposed to support VT-d, then I stumpled across this topic about 3930K replace
Edit: Seems there is a bit confusion whether it is indeed possible or not

Yeah the best bet might be to wait until sometime after Jan. 20 when the retailers are suppose to have them to sell. Kind of shitty that Intel had that big of a mistake and may not allow customers who wanted/needed this future to RMA for the stepping which is suppose to fix it.

I am not sure why Intel would inplement a feature such as VT-d in a non enterprise chip to begin with. I understand that non K sku's with the 1155's typically have VT-d.

However what is confusing is that Asus just released a new bios for the Rampage IV which had some VT-d fixes in it. Is this in preparaton for people that might slap a Xeon on the board or does Asus know something that we do not i.e. VT-d is in fact going to be 100% released on the new stepping.

Also I whole heartedly intend to get Intel to warranty my current chip in order to get the new stepping because I was under the "As advertised" assumption that these processors were in fact going to have VT-d. I also in fact do use my machine as a very heavy use corporate VM test platform for some of my clients. It is a shame that Intel ARK did say that they had vT-d before they released.

They are going to have to honor to some extent this screw up on their part.

I am sure they will on a case by case basis but DO NOT count on a general recall or offer to exchange chips. I can almost gaurantee that.

No matter how "heavy" your VM use is, you either need VT-d or you don't (and you will know when you're using it). VT-d is what allows for passing through a physical pcie or sometimes pci device into a VM. This is called VMDirectpath in VMWare or passthrough in Xen.

VT-x is the set of normal virtualization features.

No matter how "heavy" your VM use is, you either need VT-d or you don't (and you will know when you're using it). VT-d is what allows for passing through a physical pcie or sometimes pci device into a VM. This is called VMDirectpath in VMWare or passthrough in Xen.

VT-x is the set of normal virtualization features.

+1

Most people will never need it.

+1

Most people will never need it.
+2

I whole heartedly agree. I use it because I use VMware ESX on an alternate drive on my PC in order to test various multi-server configurations. Hence the 32GB of ram in my signature.

Sorry to thread hijack again, but I am having the same debate on LGA1155 vs. LGA2011 and felt this was a good thread to post in.

My wife is needing a new computer for school, and I am considering getting a 2700k or waiting until the 3820 comes out and getting that with an LGA2011 board.

Currently her computer is a very old Athlon X2 4400 on Socket 939, so we have about exhausted its useability. She plays games, more specifically she really wants to play Skyrim, so that's very important, but her school load is surrounding Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, and Maya. That sort of a workload is what was pushing me to LGA2011 with the greater memory bandwidth.

Most likely we will get an H100 and will overclock, but we aren't going to be shooting for any record numbers, so the fact the LGA2011 doesn't overclock as easily isn't a deal breaker. The main thing we are concerned about is price vs. performance vs. future upgradeability, considering an LGA2011 board is more expensive, and we would have to spend a little bit extra on RAM to take advantage of the memory bandwidth.

Does it make sense to go 3820 or should I go 2700 and save some cash? For the workload she will have, should I forget the 3820 and cough up the cash for 3930?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry to thread hijack again, but I am having the same debate on LGA1155 vs. LGA2011 and felt this was a good thread to post in.

My wife is needing a new computer for school, and I am considering getting a 2700k or waiting until the 3820 comes out and getting that with an LGA2011 board.

Currently her computer is a very old Athlon X2 4400 on Socket 939, so we have about exhausted its useability. She plays games, more specifically she really wants to play Skyrim, so that's very important, but her school load is surrounding Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, and Maya. That sort of a workload is what was pushing me to LGA2011 with the greater memory bandwidth.

Most likely we will get an H100 and will overclock, but we aren't going to be shooting for any record numbers, so the fact the LGA2011 doesn't overclock as easily isn't a deal breaker. The main thing we are concerned about is price vs. performance vs. future upgradeability, considering an LGA2011 board is more expensive, and we would have to spend a little bit extra on RAM to take advantage of the memory bandwidth.

Does it make sense to go 3820 or should I go 2700 and save some cash? For the workload she will have, should I forget the 3820 and cough up the cash for 3930?

Thanks for the help!

Just get the 2700K and overclock it.

Thanks for the help!

3820 comes out in February. I'd wait for it. But, I think you guys would benefit from 6 core or even the 8 core processor that comes out in March. I'm sure those programs would see great benefit.

I think its pretty on-topic and i dont want to start a new thread so:

So what is the processor to buy for gaming? Obviously with these SB-E being $599 and 6 cores...they arent really cost effective if i basically only game on my PC. So are the SB-E quad cores just not out yet? Or i should wait for Ivy Bridge? Or what? Basically looking for the next gen equivalent of the i7 2600K (even tho technically i know that also isnt prime for gaming, technically the i5 2500K is best bang for buck).

Wanting to build a new rig and trying to figure out what i should buy,
Thanks

So I had my heart set on doing a new powerful build which would last me 3 to 4 years and hoped the SandyBridge-E CPUs would provide some degree of future proofing and longevity.

I mainly use my desktop for gaming and occasional media watching/archiving, but nothing in terms of intensive encoding.

Based on what I had read so far, the i7 3930K clock for clock does not offer much improvement in game performance compared to the i7 2700K except with heavily threaded games like ArmA 2 and Shogun 2, but runs hotter, consumes more power and overclocks less.

That being said, I like the notion of having the power of 2 additional cpu cores to take advantage of future software which is optimised for heavier multi threading, but of course this reassurance demands a pretty hefty price premium. I am however open to being persuaded otherwise, and would be interested to know if there are any other major advantages which LGA2011 offers over LGA1155.

Alternatively I am not in a position where I desperately need an upgrade (currently have a Q9450 clocked 3.2 ghz which handles most things capably), so should I play the waiting game for Iveybridge or just opt for what is available now?

Thanks in advance for any input people may give.

I went with the 2700k at first when upgrading from a Q6600.

The speed increase was great. But I thought about it after having the system for a few days, and realized that I want to be more future proof. I don't think there will be a 6/8 core CPU for the 1155 socket, and while that isn't a problem right now; it will be in 2-4 years when more and more applications and games are utilizing the additional cores/threads.

I also wanted to be able to have more PCIE lanes for when/if I decide to Tri-fire/sli. The Maximus Z was great, but I was having there was latency when I was using the NF200 chipset. Even if it was only 5-10 FPS, it was still a drop, and I would rather not have that.

so I am going the route of the 3820, and the Rampage IV Formula. Should suit me for a while, and give me the option of upgrading to a 6-8 core CPU in the future.

I'm waiting for IB Extreme. But there's a lot going on this year within a short time from, IB, Kepler and Windows 8. A great time to build a rig is when everything is getting an upgrade. Of course the downside is that there more potential for bugs. Still I plan to drop every dime I can afford into my next rig with the best of breed and if it works out as well as my sig rig I'll be very happy.

I say upgrade every year, sell off your old system, and you will find the cost is less than you imagine. I usually only take about a 20% hit, and I budget 2.5k for my builds. Last year I broke even. Do I need to? of course not, but thats because I keep current on whats in my box. I enjoy the fun of building a new rig each year, and sometimes I come across some real bargains, such as the ES cpu I purchased for this years build. At the end of the day, I own a top of line pc for a bottom of the line price.

Rather than start a new thread, I'd like to chime in on this one because I'm in the same boat as noise850. I'm currently running a stale Q6600 and am looking to build a new rig this year. The problem is I don't have a lot of cash, but I can mitigate that by buying the components a little at a time. If I'm getting something that's a bit future-proof, I can deal with that.

I've been tossing and turning over going with LGA2011 or LGA1155. Everyone says how the 2x00K series OC's like a champ, and that will be great for single-core apps. At the same time, multiple cores would come in handy for me as well.

I do game on my PC, but mostly just WoW and some FPS's like Half-Life 2 (I game more on my 360 nowadays.) Primarily my rig is an all-purpose box, and I do heavy Photoshop/Lightroom work and have been really getting into 3D rendering with DAZ Studio. Those extra cores would come in handy for those apps, mostly. I also dabble in Premiere and After Effects. Neither chips are really *suited* for gaming from what I hear, but honestly, is there a big bottleneck, and where is it?

Any suggestions on what I should get based on my usage? Any questions are welcome.

Again, sorry to hijack this thread, but I felt it was relevant :p

^For you, I would suggest going with 2011. It will be more future proof then the 1155.

Plus with your 3D rendering, the 6 and future 8 core CPU's will be great for your application use

And for straight up gaming what upcoming CPU is recommended? I asked earlier but no one answered. I am looking to build a new rig, i dont do anything of any significance except game on the PC. Future proof is nice though, hence why i dont just pick up a steal of a deal i7 2600k etc build.

^For you, I would suggest going with 2011. It will be more future proof then the 1155.

Plus with your 3D rendering, the 6 and future 8 core CPU's will be great for your application use

Thanks, Goku. I was leaning that way, but because it's more money, I'm hesitant. Well, maybe a little impatient to build a new rig too :p

Thanks, Goku. I was leaning that way, but because it's more money, I'm hesitant. Well, maybe a little impatient to build a new rig too :p

To be honest, I'm in the same boat as you..BUT..with the release of the 4 core SB-E CPU for $285, its a great way to get into the 2011 Socket. Then wait for prices to come down, and more CPU's to be released.

I'm also going with the Asus Rampage IV Formula. Great for gaming, and overclocking. Supposed to be around 330-350. Which is 100 bucks less than the Rampage IV Extreme

And for straight up gaming what upcoming CPU is recommended? I asked earlier but no one answered. I am looking to build a new rig, i dont do anything of any significance except game on the PC. Future proof is nice though, hence why i dont just pick up a steal of a deal i7 2600k etc build.

Since you won't need the 6 core CPU's for just gaming(yet). I would recommend the I7 3820 as well, when it is released next month.

To be honest, I'm in the same boat as you..BUT..with the release of the 4 core SB-E CPU for $285, its a great way to get into the 2011 Socket. Then wait for prices to come down, and more CPU's to be released.

I'm also going with the Asus Rampage IV Formula. Great for gaming, and overclocking. Supposed to be around 330-350. Which is 100 bucks less than the Rampage IV Extreme

Which CPU is going to be an E-series/Socket 2011 at $285? I was looking at a 2700K and that's $369. If I can save myself almost $100, I can get the components sooner.

Also, why the Formula over the Extreme? I'm too lazy to check the specs. Haha.

One thing I was considering if I was going with 2011 is PCI-e 3.0 x16/x16 support. Not that anyone has noticed any real-world differences between that and x8/x8, I'm building for the future. Things I'm considering:

Asus 2011 mobo (undecided)
3930K (because there are only 2 LGA 2011 chips out and it's the cheaper of the two)
560 GTX Ti
2x SATA 6 hard drives (maybe Samsung Spinpoints. SSD is expensive)
G-Skill RAM, 8GB or so.

The RAM, HDs and VC I can always add to/replace later on. The mobo really is what I'm debating on and that determines the CPU I can use as well as if I'll have USB 3.0 and SATA6, and how many of each.

I may build a 2011 system this year, but if I do it'll be a dual socket. I don't think single socket 2011 is worth the price premium. Compared to 1155, single socket, can either get you the same performance for 25-30% more money, if you wait for the quad core. Or 1.5x more performance some of the time for more than 2x the price, if you go for the 6 core now. At least with a 2 socket system, you'll be able to get 2.0x to 3.0x more performance, some of the time, for 2.5-4x the price.

On paper, going quad core 2011, with the intention to upgrade it later, looks good. But if you look at the history of such upgrades, it probably won't pan out.

Dual core 939 continued to demand significant premiums long after it was obsolete. Q9xxx is currently doing the same for socket 775, you can sell them for a good portion of the price of a new 1155 CPU. It is likely 6 and especially 8 core 2011 CPUs will have similar premiums at the same point in their life time, in the 2012-2013 time frame. Due to low supply(not many people buy the higher end chips, and a lot that do find the money from reselling to be not worth the effort), and high demand(lots of people want to upgrade without doing a new build).

Also, if you have access to a Microcenter, their bundles make for very good 1155 system pricing, as long as you like one of the motherboards they offer.

Which CPU is going to be an E-series/Socket 2011 at $285? I was looking at a 2700K and that's $369. If I can save myself almost $100, I can get the components sooner.

Also, why the Formula over the Extreme? I'm too lazy to check the specs. Haha.

One thing I was considering if I was going with 2011 is PCI-e 3.0 x16/x16 support. Not that anyone has noticed any real-world differences between that and x8/x8, I'm building for the future. Things I'm considering:

Asus 2011 mobo (undecided)
3930K (because there are only 2 LGA 2011 chips out and it's the cheaper of the two)
560 GTX Ti
2x SATA 6 hard drives (maybe Samsung Spinpoints. SSD is expensive)
G-Skill RAM, 8GB or so.

The RAM, HDs and VC I can always add to/replace later on. The mobo really is what I'm debating on and that determines the CPU I can use as well as if I'll have USB 3.0 and SATA6, and how many of each.

The newest sb-e socket 2011 CPU is going to be the i7 3820. It's a quad core CPU and will be 285 bucks.

Main reason the formula over extreme is the 100 dollar difference. Plus I don't need all the Extreme features.

Last edited:
I read that the Ivy bridge chips will be for 1155 socket mobos, with "maybe" an extreme Ivy bridge chip for 2011socket mobos. I read that the x79 Intel drivers don't support Win XP 32bit in AHCI or Raid. IRST for X79 must be on a flash drive for Win7 or Vista install, since it doesn't detect sata ODD drives until after it is installed. Sounds like 2011 has no future or is DOA. So why bother upgrading to 2011 now, you might as well wait for Ivy bridge & see what's up after the smoke clears.

I read that the Ivy bridge chips will be for 1155 socket mobos, with "maybe" an extreme Ivy bridge chip for 2011socket mobos. I read that the x79 Intel drivers don't support Win XP 32bit in AHCI or Raid. IRST for X79 must be on a flash drive for Win7 or Vista install, since it doesn't detect sata ODD drives until after it is installed. Sounds like 2011 has no future or is DOA. So why bother upgrading to 2011 now, you might as well wait for Ivy bridge & see what's up after the smoke clears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

It looks like it will be both. Really not sure about release dates, but April? This is a tough decision to uprgrade in the near future.

The 3820 is going to be partially unlocked. Won't that be very limiting in terms of single-core applications? Point being that if I go 2011, the only "affordable" CPU available will be the 3820 (the asking price for the K series is not worth the upgrade.) Dantrax brings up a good point about most of the Ivy Bridge series being 1155. Though if I go 2011, I can get a 3820 and then later upgrade to a 3930K. Just not sure how pricing is going to be on them. A 2700K is a great bang for your buck right now, I'm just not sure about upgradeability later. Looks like there will be no 6-core 1155 chips.

How long is the 2011 socket going to last? Just curious. With Ivy Bridge, then IB-E, then the brand new architecture coming out that everyone is hoping is the second coming..is 2011 valid for like 6-12 months then its done?

Since you won't need the 6 core CPU's for just gaming(yet). I would recommend the I7 3820 as well, when it is released next month.

Sweet thanks.

The 3820 is going to be partially unlocked. Won't that be very limiting in terms of single-core applications? Point being that if I go 2011, the only "affordable" CPU available will be the 3820 (the asking price for the K series is not worth the upgrade.) Dantrax brings up a good point about most of the Ivy Bridge series being 1155. Though if I go 2011, I can get a 3820 and then later upgrade to a 3930K. Just not sure how pricing is going to be on them. A 2700K is a great bang for your buck right now, I'm just not sure about upgradeability later. Looks like there will be no 6-core 1155 chips.

I loved this AnAndTech video (just watched it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkrZjYjP6OU&feature=player_embedded Basically says on stock core voltage he got their 3820 to 4.85Ghz and that he thinks it not being fully unlocked just adds one more step to getting it to a great overclock, that your actual end overclock will be very near if not identical to what you would get if the CPU was a "K" series (fully unlocked). Made that video cleared things up for me. Basically until Haswell it sure seems like the only people that would LOVE and NEED these CPU changes are the ones that encode, video and photoshop and all that other stuff. I will go with the 3820 over the i7 2700K because i want to future proof a little bit and get that PCI-Gen 3 and additional memory. But besides that, 6 cores, or Ivy Bridge, even IB-E all seem to be upgrades that only affect someone encoding, not gaming.

Last edited:
How long is the 2011 socket going to last? Just curious. With Ivy Bridge, then IB-E, then the brand new architecture coming out that everyone is hoping is the second coming..is 2011 valid for like 6-12 months then its done?

Sweet thanks.

I loved this AnAndTech video (just watched it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkrZjYjP6OU&feature=player_embedded Basically says on stock core voltage he got their 3820 to 4.85Ghz and that he thinks it not being fully unlocked just adds one more step to getting it to a great overclock, that your actual end overclock will be very near if not identical to what you would get if the CPU was a "K" series (fully unlocked). Made that video cleared things up for me. Basically until Haswell it sure seems like the only people that would LOVE and NEED these CPU changes are the ones that encode, video and photoshop and all that other stuff. I will go with the 3820 over the i7 2700K because i want to future proof a little bit and get that PCI-Gen 3 and additional memory. But besides that, 6 cores, or Ivy Bridge, even IB-E all seem to be upgrades that only affect someone encoding, not gaming.

I think it depends on how far you want to future-proof. Judging by that video, the 3820 does a decent job of OCing despite the locked modifier, but at the same time, the mobo's for 2011 are about $100 over 1155 ones, and the brunt of the IB chips seem to be made for 1155 (3300 series all the way up to 3700 series.) So for your purposes, it sounds to me like you should go 1155 and SB and save the money. You can still go IB later on, you just can't go 6 cores, which you will never need if you're only gaming. (Well, never as in not for quite some time)

*EDIT* Edit because I can't type today.

I think it depends on how far you want to future-proof. Judging by that video, the 3820 does a decent job of OCing despite the locked modifier, but at the same time, the mobo's for 2011 are about $100 over 1155 ones, and the brunt of the IB chips seem to be made for 1155 (3300 series all the way up to 3700 series.) So for your purposes, it sounds to me like you should go 1155 and SB and save the money. You can still go IB later on, you just can't go 6 cores, which you will never need if you're only gaming. (Well, never as in not for quite some time)

*EDIT* Edit because I can't type today.

Hmmm very good point. Is it just a assumption or has it been confirmed than any current motherboards out (1155) will get a bios update for IB? Just would want to make sure if i go that route which you are right, seems the route to take, dont get screwed and learn the motherboard i pick wont be compatible with IB.

So no IB will be more than Quad Core? Interesting, i didnt know that. Will the IB-E still be on 1155 as well? Will any of those be 6 cores? (asking out of curiosity, i dont need 6 cores like you said).

If i got with 1155 with the plan to eventually get either IB or IB-E, what CPU do you think i should get with the 1155 mobo purchase? i7 2700k? Considering Intel barely ever lowers their prices, i bet w/e i buy will resell quite well in terms of how much money i make compared to how much i paid.

Hmmm very good point. Is it just a assumption or has it been confirmed than any current motherboards out (1155) will get a bios update for IB? Just would want to make sure if i go that route which you are right, seems the route to take, dont get screwed and learn the motherboard i pick wont be compatible with IB.

So no IB will be more than Quad Core? Interesting, i didnt know that. Will the IB-E still be on 1155 as well? Will any of those be 6 cores? (asking out of curiosity, i dont need 6 cores like you said).

If i got with 1155 with the plan to eventually get either IB or IB-E, what CPU do you think i should get with the 1155 mobo purchase? i7 2700k? Considering Intel barely ever lowers their prices, i bet w/e i buy will resell quite well in terms of how much money i make compared to how much i paid.

It's not confirmed, it's just a suspicion. Given that the 1155 chipset is still pretty new (relatively) the idea is that Intel isn't going to retire it for another year or two. Check the chart here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

There are 18 IB CPUs that are 1155. It would be pretty dumb if they require a new hardware purchase for them, especially considering how popular the 2x00K series is.

I'm actually rethinking going to 1155 instead. According to that chart, there will be no 6 core IB for 1155. There WILL be for 2011 and there will also be SB for 2011 that are 6 core. However, the price of the IB and IB-E are so high in comparison that for me, it may be worth going 1155 for now and then trading/selling/donating my 1155 board for a 2011 in 2 years when I can afford to get a better processor. All the other components will still be fairly interchangeable and I can upgrade to a 6 core CPU.

So obviously none of this is confirmed, but Haswell is coming out March/April of 2013?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

So I spend $2500 on a pimp LGA 2011 system now and a year and a couple months from now Haswell is out?

Definitely leaning towards going LGA 1155 + 2700K at this point. Why bother going nuts upgrading to IB when it's only going to be around for a year. Yes, I realize that IB processors will still be released, but this is not an architecture step like SB->IB, this is a whole new architecture (LGA 1150.) Ugh, maybe I should try and coax another year or so out of my existing machine :p

Littlemike, remember, whatever you get, is going to be replaced in a year anyway. Something new and updated is always around the corner. :)

Littlemike, remember, whatever you get, is going to be replaced in a year anyway. Something new and updated is always around the corner. :)

True - but that's all the more reason to not go crazy right now spending money. I'm like 3 steps behind with a Q6600. Going to a 2700K will see definite performance increases that will last me at least a year or two. After that, I could go trading up again, but I need to "catch up" a bit, so to speak.

It's like buying a cell phone. A year later, something newer and better is out. Eventually you have to decide what your budget is and what you'll be happy with. With Haswell much closer than I originally thought, I think I'd be happy with LGA 1155 for now and when processors drop in price, maybe go with IB-E Step 2 or something. I like to go mid-range/best bang for your buck in my builds until they get too old and need to be overhauled.

I agree, the "There will always be something new around the corner" argument doesnt always apply equally at all times. With the Intel "Tick Tock" style of processor releases, certain years, and even certain times of a particular year can affect if you should upgrade.

Obviously the smartest move is to hold onto our current still keeping up rigs (Little Mike with his Q6600, and me with my Q9550) until 2013 for Haswell, it being a "Tock" aka a big architecture change. Also making things difficult is Intel doesnt have just one line right now, but two, making it more difficult to decide which to go with.

I however, like LittleMike i think, really want to build a new rig. From the information i have currently, it sure seems like what i should do is build a rig now, 1155 socket, i7 2700k (why choose 2700k over 2600k btw? Whats the diff?) and then down the road, maybe when IB/IB-E 1155 is out for a while, or Haswell is out, i then decide if i can upgrade and break even or the price difference be worth it for Haswell/Ivy Bridge. Or if the i7 2700k build is so up to par that it can handle another Tick, and hell another Tock.

I agree, the "There will always be something new around the corner" argument doesnt always apply equally at all times. With the Intel "Tick Tock" style of processor releases, certain years, and even certain times of a particular year can affect if you should upgrade.

Obviously the smartest move is to hold onto our current still keeping up rigs (Little Mike with his Q6600, and me with my Q9550) until 2013 for Haswell, it being a "Tock" aka a big architecture change. Also making things difficult is Intel doesnt have just one line right now, but two, making it more difficult to decide which to go with.

I however, like LittleMike i think, really want to build a new rig. From the information i have currently, it sure seems like what i should do is build a rig now, 1155 socket, i7 2700k (why choose 2700k over 2600k btw? Whats the diff?) and then down the road, maybe when IB/IB-E 1155 is out for a while, or Haswell is out, i then decide if i can upgrade and break even or the price difference be worth it for Haswell/Ivy Bridge. Or if the i7 2700k build is so up to par that it can handle another Tick, and hell another Tock.

What if the world ends in December of 2012? Then you will never have known the briute powerhouse 6 core as your friend?

I do want to build a new rig. This one has served me well the past few years, but it's showing its age at this point. I also don't want to break the bank to upgrade - especially when a new "tick" is around the corner.

Back