i7 2700k Throttling?

Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
650
I'm trying to get more out of my 2700k. I'm currently in windows @ 4.5ghz with voltage set to auto. CPU-Z however, is showing my multiplier is at 41 as i run IntelBurnTest. Hottest core in RealTemp is 75C. Any idea why my proc thinks it needs to run at 41 multi when I tell it to run at 45 and put load on it?
 
While I don't recommend internal CPU stress/QA testing utilities like Linpack being used while overclocking and raising vcore (Linpack can cause degradation, heck even prime can, at 1.4v+), and I don't know your bios settings, see if you can disable OS multiplier control so you use a fixed multiplier for all cores, and maximize the power and amp and current limits (like, set them to 300 if possible). Also disable TM monitor.
 
As Falkentyne mentioned, it may be the current limiting it - normally there is a BIOS setting that you can change, it normally reads in percent, so changing it from 100% to 120% or something might help.

It does run at 45 sometimes though?
 
its current limiting or TDP limiting

if you don't care (have a good board with good power phases (6+2?)), then set the current limit to 99999 and TDP short/long to somethign like 300/300W

otherwise, current limit of 250 is fine, TDP short/long limit to 140/130W (IBT will require more than 130W at 5ghz. PRime requires ~115W at 5ghz)
 
Back
Top