i7-2630 + 6770m

Trimlock

[H]F Junkie
So I'm getting some suspect performance out of the 6770m.

Issue #1 thats bugging me is none of the GPU-Z's out there can see my GPU correctly for some reason, 2 ROPS, 800sp's, 27mhz memory etc.

Issue #2 I have only really tested out single player StarCraft2 so far, and I'm able to get 20's FPS with some medium settings, I can post more of the selections later. When I put everything to low I can get it in the 30's. According to notebook check they were able to get 40's with "high" settings, are they on crack?

I'm testing out a few more games later on, if there are any other games I could check performance on I'd appreciate the heads up. I'm just a tad bit concerned with the performance at this point.

I'm on a HP DV6t. resolution is 1366x768, figured I could of gotten way better performance out of this so far.

Have you played around with different drivers ? I must say my 5870m's have been all over the play with performance on the new 11.8. I would suggest trying some older ones like 11.4,11.6 and seeing if your frames get any better. Cause my laptop has been having alot of mixed performance with games like Black Ops and WOW with the new drivers. Well if you give its a shot tell me what happens

11.4, 11.6 and 11.8 shows no improvement. MSI afterburn showing zero GPU activity (reporting accurate GPU, Memory speed and fan speed).

Now to find out why the 6770M is showing no activity...

edit: switchable graphics is defaulted to "power saver" for everything. When I reboot it goes back to the power saver option. Thanks for the help I think the 11.4's are doing slightly better then 11.8's.

Last edited:
sounds like your not switching graphics.....just set to high performance and you should be fine...

No it wasn't, I went ahead and created a profile to save all my game exe's on high performance, so when I reboot I can just re load the profile. No idea why its not saving but its possibly my least worry right now.

sounds like your not switching graphics.....just set to high performance and you should be fine...

Makes sense to me. Might want to set performances for everything to consider driver issues.

That or your system is throttling through power mode.

Did you try telling windows to go to "High Performance" before the game, i do NOT mean profile setup....actually put the laptop in High Performance....your frames are in line with the IGP on your CPU...meaning your dedicated card is not kicking in...

No it wasn't, I went ahead and created a profile to save all my game exe's on high performance, so when I reboot I can just re load the profile. No idea why its not saving but its possibly my least worry right now.

Ok sorry, MY resolution was not clear.

So I found out that after I set my game .exe's to high performance, the setting was not actually saving. So I instead (thinking high performance was set) launched game, saw crappy performance, came here to complain. Noticed shortly after the recommendation for 11.4's that it was set to power saver mode. Found out even shorter after that that my profile settings are not being saved. Set up a profile for gaming so all my exe's will be set to high performance after I reboot (wheneverthatis).

I actually placed the entire laptop in high performance which didn't enact the GPU, instead it placed the fans on alert mode, my cpu in assassination mode and my hard drive on thermal nuclear explosion mode. Kidding asside it took a few minutes, but I noticed the problem after I switched drivers, if I didn't, wouldn't of noticed. :D

Back