• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7-2600k running hot?

MrReplay

n00b
Joined
Mar 24, 2012
Messages
41
I'm getting idle temps around 44 degrees, after watching some clips online with similar set ups idling around 28 I wonder why mine is so much hotter?

My setup is:

i7-2600k
Asus P8Z68-V Mobo
16GB Ripjaws RAM
Corsair H70 cooling
Antec P180 case


I'm only clocking to 4GHz now


Is this running too hot? What changes should I make if so?

Any help appreciated :D
 
Mine has been running at 4.6Ghz at 1.4v for two years. Minimal loads of about 45c. I think you are probably fine with that H70.
 
Does your cpu clock down when your system is idle? (intel speedstep I think it's called) Mine drops to 1600mhz when idle, and my voltage drops down too.
That will make your idle temps a bit lower then if you're running your OC 24/7

My 2600k is overclocked to 4.8Ghz@ 1.450v and at idle with speedstep on my cpu floats around 34C. When I start working it stays in the 40C range. Under load I've never seen it break 74C. I do keep it pretty cool in my office though. I don't call it too hot till it hits 90C
 
you need to tell us what kind of configuration you have, plus what are your room temperature.. for a that minimal 4GHZ you do no need even a voltage bump. so no reason for dissable all the "C" States and C package State also Intel speedstep..so yes your idle are kinda hot compared to other configurations but how about the Load temps? with that low overclock with an H70 I guess your gamin load temps should be in the mid to high 50s. and synthetic bench in the mid to high 60s.. i had exactly that chip long time ago at 4.2GHZ with a H70 too, and my idle temps was in the line of 29C to 31C and load temps the same I mentioned in a room temp of 28C-30C.(yeah really hot in my place:mad:) so go enter in bios and active all C States + Speedstep and you will see the drop of idle temperature..
 
you need to tell us what kind of configuration you have, plus what are your room temperature.. for a that minimal 4GHZ you do no need even a voltage bump. so no reason for dissable all the "C" States and C package State also Intel speedstep..so yes your idle are kinda hot compared to other configurations but how about the Load temps? with that low overclock with an H70 I guess your gamin load temps should be in the mid to high 50s. and synthetic bench in the mid to high 60s.. i had exactly that chip long time ago at 4.2GHZ with a H70 too, and my idle temps was in the line of 29C to 31C and load temps the same I mentioned in a room temp of 28C-30C.(yeah really hot in my place:mad:) so go enter in bios and active all C States + Speedstep and you will see the drop of idle temperature..


I have speedstep on but I'm unsure what you mean about C States?

At 5% load one pair of cores are around 39 deg, another pair 45 deg, 1600MHz @ 0.968v

At 100% load (approx 1 min) one pair of cores are 85 deg, other pair 90 deg, 4000MHz @ 1.232v
 
I have the H70 set to the slowest speed, even if I put it at the fastest it hardly makes a difference - say 5 deg??
 
well yes its reaaaaally hot. your chip, i would start reseating the cooler, i know its kinda tricky to mount the H70 correctly, another thing you have to take into consideration is your room temp, and how positioned its your cooler with this i mean Exhaust Or intake. and yes, with the H70 Stock fans at full 2000RPM you will see a diference of 5 Degrees of more, specially at long periods of loads thats why i never i used those resistor to slowdown the speed.. check the mounting first.

about the C States i mean This depending on your Motherboard brand you should find those options in the same area under CPU power Managements another example Here be sure to activate all of the options and you will for sure see a drop of temperatures under idle.. and i have to say again reseat your cooler. voltage are normal, speed normal, temps aren't... so i can guess a bad mount or the cooler its death..
 
I'd say 85-90 degrees at load is quite high for your chip. Are you sure you haven't left the voltage to be auto-regulated by the mobo? Decreasing Vcore gave me around a 7 degree drop on my 3570 (non-k).
 
I have speedstep on but I'm unsure what you mean about C States?

At 5% load one pair of cores are around 39 deg, another pair 45 deg, 1600MHz @ 0.968v

At 100% load (approx 1 min) one pair of cores are 85 deg, other pair 90 deg, 4000MHz @ 1.232v

Agreed, its too hot, aim for around 72C max under load in hard use (not testing).
Extended testing at those temps will age the CPU a fair bit quicker (more with a high voltage).

As you arent using a high voltage and your temps are excessive, it looks like your cooling isnt working properly.
Especially as that is the load temp after only 1 minute !

Maybe the cooler isnt seated properly or the heatsink paste is badly applied.
What is your rooms ambient temp?
Do the temps drop with the case side removed?
What are you using to measure temps? Can you get the temps with Coretemp or Realtemp?
 
Thanks for all the input...

I reapplied thermal paste & reseated the cooler & now getting temps ranging from 38-70 at idle & 100% loads respectively
 
Lots better, a little high still for the voltage used unless you have high ambient temps.
(assuming you tested with prime95 or similar for 1/2hr+, otherwise it could be worse)
 
When you did your O/C, what did you change? With that chip, you should only really have to change the multiplier, so if you happen to have a bus O/C as well, (like some auto O/C functions do), you would probably get much better temps, stability and O/C potential if you just change the multiplier only.
 
Thanks for all the input...

I reapplied thermal paste & reseated the cooler & now getting temps ranging from 38-70 at idle & 100% loads respectively

have you checked what i suggested? (C States)... your temps are much better now, also i have to ask again, are you using stock fans and intake or exhaust?. and what are the room temp?..
 
Ok so I finally worked out what was going on - one side of the radiator was almost completely caked in dust...

Cleaned it up & new I'm getting 30-35 deg idle temps. I now realise the stock fans aren't really up to scratch so I've ordered 4 x Noctua NF-F12's

Thanks to everyone for all the help :D
 
I bought 2 x Noctua NF-F12's & fitted them to the Corsair H70 rad in push/pull

Idle temps are 27-34 but 100% load temps @ 4400GHz are pushing 89 deg - I'm baffled why people here say they get 70 deg under full load & mine is nearly 20 degrees hotter??? :(
 
I bought 2 x Noctua NF-F12's & fitted them to the Corsair H70 rad in push/pull

Idle temps are 27-34 but 100% load temps @ 4400GHz are pushing 89 deg - I'm baffled why people here say they get 70 deg under full load & mine is nearly 20 degrees hotter??? :(

are you on 2600k too?. what voltage are using? from those 89C at 4400mhz i only can imagine that you are using autovoltage and your motherboard are delivering more than needed causing the chip heat more than necessary..
 
yea 2600k

it ramps up to 1.288v @ 100% load

LOL forget my early post, i didn't notice you was the OP sorry:confused: did not read the name..

1.288 are good voltage for 4.4GHZ.. nothing wrong there.. can I ask if you disabled the Motherboard Control over the Fan header where you plugged the Pump?.. one thing that happens to a friend was he connected the Pump to a secondary fan header that was on "Silent" profile.. so the pump was undervolting, working soooo slow.. so he changed the fan control to "Disabled" in bios then voilá.. problem solved 30C droped on full stress.. have you checked that?.
 
Did you do the auto O/C or adjust the fsb at all? I have seen this impact temps dramatically. If you are not sure, just restore optimized defaults and then change only the multiplier. That is all I did with my 2600k.
 
Did you do the auto O/C or adjust the fsb at all? I have seen this impact temps dramatically. If you are not sure, just restore optimized defaults and then change only the multiplier. That is all I did with my 2600k.

you mean BCLK i guess, FSB based chip aren't longer based O_O... and on sandy after 103mhz could cause seriously problems of stability but no that increased amount of heat.. i guess the bios its good with that voltage and speed, i guess the problem its the cooler itself..
 
What temp is the room where the pc sits? does the pc have access to fresh air or in a good spot for ventilating hot air when its running hot?
 
Back
Top