• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I7 2600k overclock question.

bjrebo1

n00b
Joined
Apr 11, 2004
Messages
29
Ok, I wanted to see what everyone thought about which overclock I should run 24/7.

Currently, my i7 2600k can do 4.8 ht on 1.36 volts. Max temp is 72 degrees under prime 8 hrs.

My chip can also do 5.0 at 1.4 with ht off. Max temp 69 degrees. I use this system as a gaming rig and do not do any encoding or things that would potentially use ht. On a side note I have a decent water cooling setup. Ambient is 72.

What would you run the rig at 24/7? Max gaming temps either way 53 degrees... Would like multiple pro's and cons. Thanks
 
What water cooling setup do you have? Those degrees seem to be high for a water cooling setup. I have noctua cooler and it does a bit better then that.
 
Xspc 750 with 4 scythe 1850 rpm fans... 69 max at 5.0 prime small test... You get better than that? Idle in mid 20's...
 
If you plan on keeping the chip for awhile I would try to keep it under 1.4v, just for longevity sake. If your not benching or encoding try turning HT off and see how low you can get the voltage and be stable at 4.8ghz, and use that as your daily use setting. HT doesn't really do much for gaming or browsing unless you got 50 things running at once.
 
Gaming with multiple GPUs gives a quickly diminishing return above 4.4GhZ. If you're running a single GPU, you don't even need 4GhZ.

I consider mine about right, I have 2 mid-range GPUs and over 4.2GhZ I don't see any difference benchmarking using FRAPS (maybe 1-2fps @ 4.4). I don't play Starcraft II very often, though, and that is one of the few games you want as much out of your CPU as you can get.

For reference, mine did 5.05GhZ @ 1.46v with hyperthreading ON, OCCT/Linpack stable for 8 hrs and hit 70c with Corsair H50 in a Coolermaster HAF 932 with the top fan replaced by 2 120mm fans.
 
My 2600K is stable at 5.1 on air HT always on, plus all four dimm slots occupied (12gb ram) which is more taxing on everything.
 
You guys have some lucky chips... I'm peaking at 80-85C on an NH-D14 with this 2600k @ 48x100, 1.4-1.416v :( 4x intake fans, 3x exhaust, d14 fans at full speed, mx-2 TIM (multiple reseats and application methods, no difference). Doesn't go past 65 during normal gaming/use so I'll be running this 24/7 but it's still hot as shit considering the cooling setup I think.

Edit: On a related note, has anyone ever had their computer go into sleep mode during prime testing? Went to bed last night about 2 hours into a blend run, woke up to the computer sleeping. Pressed power button, came right back and continued to prime like nothing ever happened. No failed threads, nothing.
 
That is interesting cre3d. I have not had that happen. Your chip runs a bit hot, but many won't do 4.8. What is your ambient?
 
If you plan on keeping the chip for awhile I would try to keep it under 1.4v, just for longevity sake. If your not benching or encoding try turning HT off and see how low you can get the voltage and be stable at 4.8ghz, and use that as your daily use setting. HT doesn't really do much for gaming or browsing unless you got 50 things running at once.

Is there any proof of them degrading above 1.4 or is that just internet crap getting paraded everywhere?

I know of several examples, including my own that are above 1.4, and have been just fine.

OP, if you can really do 4.8 at 1.36, or 5.0 at 1.400, and run something like linpack or IBT or a very intensive game for an extended period of time - that is very, very good.
 
1.48 or so loaded,, but its been at this for months no diff in speeds or benches whatsoever no slowdowns or degredations.
 
At 4.8 1.36 volts with ht on... 8hrs prime small, 20 ibt and 20 Linx runs stable. I got a cherry picked chip lo51b138... It will load into windows up to 53 multi. I think for now I will keep 4.8... I ran another prime run for four hours and this time max temp was 68... I am about 5 lower ambient than my first run.
 
On a related note, has anyone ever had their computer go into sleep mode during prime testing? Went to bed last night about 2 hours into a blend run, woke up to the computer sleeping. Pressed power button, came right back and continued to prime like nothing ever happened. No failed threads, nothing.

Hm, that's a new one for me. Do you have any odd power settings in bios, or what power settings in windows are disabled/enabled? Still can't think that it'd sleep while cpu was pegged. You sure no one or no animal may have brushed against a power/sleep button? And has this happened again since then?

If you plan on keeping the chip for awhile I would try to keep it under 1.4v, just for longevity sake. If your not benching or encoding try turning HT off and see how low you can get the voltage and be stable at 4.8ghz, and use that as your daily use setting. HT doesn't really do much for gaming or browsing unless you got 50 things running at once.
Is there any proof of them degrading above 1.4 or is that just internet crap getting paraded everywhere?

I know of several examples, including my own that are above 1.4, and have been just fine.

OP, if you can really do 4.8 at 1.36, or 5.0 at 1.400, and run something like linpack or IBT or a very intensive game for an extended period of time - that is very, very good.

While I agree with you that a little over 1.4 seems ok, I don't think we've had these chips out quite long enough that we'd be able to know if there was any degradation or not, and where that line is drawn. While its pretty obvious that 1.6v+ will limit the chip life drastically, I'm not sure we could tell how many many months might be cut off, if at all, by running at 1.4+, since they've been out all of 4 months or so.

That being said, I'm happily running along at 5.0ghz with 1.41v w/HT on, I don't think there's a huge risk, so I'm taking the risk if there is one. But so are plenty of others, so if I do end up being on the bad side of that bet, at least I'll have company =).

My 2600K is stable at 5.1 on air HT always on, plus all four dimm slots occupied (12gb ram) which is more taxing on everything.

Sorry, maybe its just been a long day. But 4 dimm slots = 12gb ram? Am I thinking something wrong here, cause that doesn't sound right.
 
He probably has 2 * 2 and 2 * 4.... I think that we are fine up to 1.425 as long as cooling is adequate. I upgrade when the new stuff comes
Out anyway so if I shorten the life of the chip so be it... 5.1 at 1.48 volts is an amazing chip btw.
 
Ok, I wanted to see what everyone thought about which overclock I should run 24/7.

Currently, my i7 2600k can do 4.8 ht on 1.36 volts. Max temp is 72 degrees under prime 8 hrs.

My chip can also do 5.0 at 1.4 with ht off. Max temp 69 degrees. I use this system as a gaming rig and do not do any encoding or things that would potentially use ht. On a side note I have a decent water cooling setup. Ambient is 72.

What would you run the rig at 24/7? Max gaming temps either way 53 degrees... Would like multiple pro's and cons. Thanks

What game are you running where you need/want more FPS in? If there is no game your system doesn't handle the way you want it to, then you don't need an insane OC like that on a CPU, only unless your not maxing out your GPU('s) or not getting 60-120 steady FPS depending on monitor/screen you have. You know what I'm sayin' Man?

Even then you might just want to add another card to get the FPS rather than burning out your CPU. But if I was you I would just run it as fast as you can. :D
 
there's no benefit in anything except video editing you will get running your cpu at such a high clock unless you have 3 monster gpus on a low resolution or you want to challenge some benchmark scores. Drop it back to a nice 4.6Ghz or 4.7 leave ht on and enjoy it. If your looking for extra performance in gaming look at your gpu setup.
 
Back
Top