• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i7-2600k installation

Zontar

n00b
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
27
I have never installed a CPU before. Does it normally take an unusually high level of force to get the lever down on the socket after dropping it in? Will something snap if I force it down? I can almost hear the pins moving when I try to push it down.
 
Just sit the cpu in the socket correct so it's laying on top of the pins, make sure it's level, pull the lever down til it's locked. It applies force, this is normal. Unless you put the cpu in the wrong way, you shouldn't bend any pins.
 
Biggest thing to ensure is that it's properly inserted. There's a little gold/yellow tab on one of the edges that you have to match up with the correct corner.

It won't break anything but it does require a tad bit of force (not like trying to put a square peg into a round hole kinda thing).
 
Biggest thing I HATE is Intel's Shitty HSF clip's! Ive broke 2 Heat sink's trying to install.
 
Biggest thing I HATE is Intel's Shitty HSF clip's! Ive broke 2 Heat sink's trying to install.

That's not an issue I've had.

If you're breaking HSFs, then you're either mis-angling the HSF (which is why the pin-shroud is not lining up and thus breaking) or you have a poor surface (non-flat surfaces are BAD).

For all CPUs, it pays to mount the CPU and HSF to the motherboard outside the case. This applies regardless of brand/socket type/what-have-you.

For Intel HSFs, the cross-corner rule applies - press-down on diagonally-opposing corners at the same time, then twist (first one corner, then the other) in the same direction. (Intel has stayed with the push-pin HSF design with 775, 1366, 1156, and 1155.)

Also, Intel has video that shows the proper method for attaching a stock HSF on the CPU section of their website.
 
Yes, it takes a good amount of force...however, my 2500k install was the scariest I've ever done. I think it was so tight the mobo kind of bowed a little.
 
Back
Top