I7 2600k 4.8 ghz 1.4v extremly bad temps

borkaman

n00b
hey guys i am having a huge temp problem i overclocked my cpu to 4.8ghz using 1.410voltage so i did 20 runs of linx and i am getting those temps:
29nxp4o.jpg

-I am using 1.410V.
-I did reseat for like 20 times.
-I am using MX3 thermal paste.
-My cooler is noctua nh-d14 with 2 regular fans.
-I am on 100% fans.
-Case haf x
What can be cause the problem??

Last edited:
That seems to be not too horrible but yes it seems slightly high. More than likely your CPU fans are not getting the cool air they need to properly do their job to the maximum. My vcore was slightly higher and my temps were lower on my megahalems (its not higher now and its under water but to make a comparison).

hey guys i am having a huge temp problem i overclocked my cpu to 4.8ghz using 1.410voltage so i did 20 runs of linx and i am getting those temps:
29nxp4o.jpg

-I am using 1.410V.
-I did reseat for like 20 times.
-I am using MX3 thermal paste.
-My cooler is noctua nh-d14 with 2 regular fans.
-I am on 100% fans.

What can be cause the problem??

uh, where are the temps?

see my post: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037410528#post1037410528
seems like you have the same issue (provided your temps are actually high like mine).

the temps at max load is:
75-86-84-84

Yeah, seems like almost exactly what I'm getting. From what I'm gathering, it's just that we have hotter chips. Period. It sucks, and I wish I could get one of the cooler chips everyone else seems to have, but I don't think it's a hardware "problem" per se.

If anything, it's somewhat comforting to me that I'm not the only one, though I'm sure that's no solace to you... :(

I can tell you this - my temps are actually quite reasonable as long as I stay below about 1.35 V. It just seems that heat rises almost geometrically with increase in V Core past that. At 1.35 V my max temps are in the 62-71 range. What's unfortunate is that I can't do better than about 4.5-4.6 GHz at that voltage, so that seems to be about where my limit is unless I'm willing to spend $$$ on cooling.

Don't feel bad guys, some chips just run hot. My i7 920 runs at 70C load on an H70 at very low vcore. :(

They seem somewhere in the area from what to expect from 4800MHz at 1.41V. Post your case, cooling and ambient temps

case HAF X
regular fans that comes with that case
2 regular fans on noctua nh-d14
how do i check ambient temps?

lol guys those temps happends only if i am using LINX i tested with prime95 and i am getting WAYYYYYYY lower temps 70-79-75-76

Yep, the stock HAF X fans are good but don't bring in the cool air like they should, that's why I modded my side and front fan for 17v and that dropped temps several degrees. If you are not stressing it at 100% for long periods I wouldn't really worry about it. You can also add a 120mm to the 5.25 drive bays like some have to help with bringing cool air in.

Those temps are 10C hotter than mine.

My CPU runs at 5.0GHz 1.43v @ 75C after 20 passes with LinX - Corsair H60 Cooler push/pull.
Idle temps are around 37-40C

Either you need better paste, cooler or both.

Number one rule when posting temps is to always post what your ambients are. For all we know those temps are normal if you're in a fairly warm room.

Also LinX ran hotter probably because of the AVX instructions.

Number one rule when posting temps is to always post what your ambients are. For all we know those temps are normal if you're in a fairly warm room.

Also LinX ran hotter probably because of the AVX instructions.

Ambient is only 25C. Average. Doesn't make a difference, his chip is running hot.

case HAF X
regular fans that comes with that case
2 regular fans on noctua nh-d14
how do i check ambient temps?

lol guys those temps happends only if i am using LINX i tested with prime95 and i am getting WAYYYYYYY lower temps 70-79-75-76

ok, i officially feel like shit again. you've got exactly my cooling setup and your temps are at least 5-6 C below mine at slightly higher voltages...and people think your temps are high :eek:

I think I might look into swapping out my chip for a new one. something isn't right

Neon01 and borkaman. chillax.

Neon01, Have you made sure your h70 is working correctly (pump at full speed??? no fins bent to prevent air flow???)

borkaman, those temps are fine when on a air cooler. If you had those temps on water cooling then you have some serious issues.... Are you only putting a little bit of paste on each time you remount your cooler??? (after cleaning when you take it off obviously...)

Neon01, Have you made sure your h70 is working correctly (pump at full speed??? no fins bent to prevent air flow???)

I'm using a Noctua NH-D14. But everything I've read says that it slightly surpasses the performance of the H70 with stock fans, so I don't think this really changes the situation.

Nah, I wouldn't say I'm flipping out, but I figure it's best to realize this now while I can actually do something about it rather than 6 months from now.

And with that I'll stop threadjacking.

If you look at a thread a few below this, you will see a friend of mine has almost the same exact setup as I do, and his chip runs much warmer than mine. We are thinking it is either due to the cooler not working as well, or just his chip runs hotter. I have a really good cooling setup, pics of my rig are in the show your box thread as well. We both use a push - pull through an antec 620. I just put mine together, didn't tweak anything, just changed the multiplier to 48, and turned it on. My ambients are nearly identical to his, roughly 21.1C, and after 40 hours of prime 95 stress, my temps max at 65C while his are at or over 80C.

~edit: the only real difference between eXc and my system is he upped his voltage to get the OC stable, where mine is stock. I think he is running at like 1.36 or something. Not sure if that is causing the 15 degree C difference though. Going to have him lower his to stock and see what happens.

Last edited:
I am experiencing around the same temps as you. My 2600k is as well clocked at 4.8 @ ~1.36v-1.4v, and too on an D14 - though not at 100% fan.

Ambient is only 25C. Average. Doesn't make a difference, his chip is running hot.

...perhaps I'm missing it, but I didn't see him say anywhere that his ambient was 25C. And it does make a difference. A huge difference. If he's comparing it to people whose rooms are at 21C and his room is actually at 30C, that's huge.

borkaman, those temps are fine when on a air cooler. If you had those temps on water cooling then you have some serious issues.... Are you only putting a little bit of paste on each time you remount your cooler??? (after cleaning when you take it off obviously...)

All-in-one watercooling solutions are not any better than air coolers in their respective price ranges. To think otherwise is a huge mistake, and sadly a very common misconception. Which is why HardOCP needs a chart that compares all-in-one solutions with regular air coolers, not keep them separate.

Also, while AMD chips tend to all perform similarly that are marketed the same (a Phenom II 955 performs similarly to another 955 90% of the time), Intel seems to be more dependent on the batch. Which is very apparent with the first generation i7's, with some "good" batch 920's overclocking higher than a "bad" batch 950. Comparing Intel chips with others even if they're the same model cannot be done unless they're the same batch.

Can't even do that now with what has been seen so far with SB chips. Some OC well some don't same batch or not. Just like some run hot and some don't.

Unfourtunately, not all SB chips will hit 4.8.

As suggested, I would check for the proper amount and application of thermal paste.

Those temps aren't completely unreasonable for a chip that's pushed to it's limit with the cooler you're using. I would also check the fans to make sure they're in push-pull config. I know it sounds silly, but you never know.

FYI, I'm using the H60 (with push-pull fans) on my 2500K at 4.6GHz with 1.35V and my temps are upper 50's, low 60s while folding.

...perhaps I'm missing it, but I didn't see him say anywhere that his ambient was 25C. And it does make a difference. A huge difference. If he's comparing it to people whose rooms are at 21C and his room is actually at 30C, that's huge.

Also what people are actually running for a test makes a huge difference. People even do stuff with Prime 95 that changes the results (some run the blend, other run just small FFTs, other run blend for a long time...). IntelBurnTest has different settings that people will adjust to their liking and it can change the temps. Recently someone listed very nice looking "load temps" and claimed their system was stable, and it turned out they were using Crysis 2 as the load :rolleyes:

You're fine. Check my setup and I learned to accept that my chip runs hotter than other chips. My idle temps around 37-40 and 100% load around 77-82. I even exchanged my antec 920 thinking it was my cooler, but it wasn't. At least I can run at 4.8 with 1.38v. I just hope this chip will last me for a while with this volt settings.

Try reseating it. If temps don't change, maybe you just got a hot chip. Though people say it's in the range for that voltage then you're fine :)

All-in-one watercooling solutions are not any better than air coolers in their respective price ranges. To think otherwise is a huge mistake, and sadly a very common misconception. Which is why HardOCP needs a chart that compares all-in-one solutions with regular air coolers, not keep them separate.

Also, while AMD chips tend to all perform similarly that are marketed the same (a Phenom II 955 performs similarly to another 955 90% of the time), Intel seems to be more dependent on the batch. Which is very apparent with the first generation i7's, with some "good" batch 920's overclocking higher than a "bad" batch 950. Comparing Intel chips with others even if they're the same model cannot be done unless they're the same batch.

Not entirely true, you have to keep in mind these high end air coolers have a rather large footprint compared to a closed loop system. A high end air cooler will block a good portion of the upper half of your case affecting overall case temperature.

Not entirely true, you have to keep in mind these high end air coolers have a rather large footprint compared to a closed loop system. A high end air cooler will block a good portion of the upper half of your case affecting overall case temperature.

Which in a case with good air circulation doesn't matter. Same can be said about the recommended Corsair setup, with the fans blowing from the back in, but you don't have a top exhaust. That would also increase case temps.

IMO the only real reasons to go with a all-in-one rather than an air cooler is to put less stress/weight on your motherboard, and to keep the area around the CPU clear and keep easy access to RAM modules. The upcoming H100 will change that somewhat, depending on its performance, but as of now with only 1x120 radiators, those are the only two reasons to go with a H50/60/70.

Which in a case with good air circulation doesn't matter. Same can be said about the recommended Corsair setup, with the fans blowing from the back in, but you don't have a top exhaust. That would also increase case temps.

IMO the only real reasons to go with a all-in-one rather than an air cooler is to put less stress/weight on your motherboard, and to keep the area around the CPU clear and keep easy access to RAM modules. The upcoming H100 will change that somewhat, depending on its performance, but as of now with only 1x120 radiators, those are the only two reasons to go with a H50/60/70.

I must be missing something here, why wouldn't you have a top exhaust in a HAF X? Perhaps you're referring to a different case?

I must be missing something here, why wouldn't you have a top exhaust in a HAF X? Perhaps you're referring to a different case?

You're missing the fact that your point only applies to poorly ventilated cases. And that same problem you pointed out also applies to the all-in-ones in the recommended configuration with poorly ventilated cases.

You're missing the fact that your point only applies to poorly ventilated cases. And that same problem you pointed out also applies to the all-in-ones in the recommended configuration with poorly ventilated cases.

You're pointing out the obvious, but the case in question here is a HAF X. Then again with a H70 you're only taking up the rear fan slot and gain unrestricted airflow for the top exhaust which the HAF X has. This is coming from a Hyper 212 and TR silver arrow user that has gone through numerous full tower cases. Keep in mind a high end air cooler will in most cases not have clearance for a side fan if the option is available.

In addition to that, one would not have to worry in regards to the memory heat spreaders being too tall for the heatsink

Last edited:
I wish I got those temps. Wanna know extremely bad? It's a 4770 at 105c (4.6/1.3v) on water. Just did a lap/delid and it knocked 10c off the top but still 10c worse than your temps on water. Woe is me!

Some 2600K's just run hotter than others. I get about the same temperatures with my H100 and some Noctua fans going 100% (still silent). Going to go full water with a 360 rad just for the CPU.

EDIT: I'm also at 1.4V.

Back