• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

i5 ivy

AP514

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2006
Messages
487
Hi guys --about that time agian to upgrade the computer..

I will be doing my upgrade in Dec. but a buddy of mine wants to upgrade his very old computer.....old p-3/4 not sure.(old as durt in Computer time)

So here is the question..he says he wants to do some video/slide shows editing ect. Do I need to have HT like in i7 ivy ...or will the i5 ivy be ok for that. Got to remember he is coming off of a very old system..but i want it to be able to hang in there if he and his wife really get into the Video editing/ making.
He wants to stay on a small budget.......$800
1) he says his old ATX tower will work.....yet to be seen
2) not sure if he needs a new power supply.... but i would say yes(have not seen his old one and a good power supply is a must IMO
3) he wants to run off of the Ivy CPU for graphic..ok seeing he has a 19" monitor.(figure he can upgrade to a GPU later if he wants) He does no gaming....but not sure how the GPU in the IVY's are....

So here is what I think might be good for him

i5 ivy 3.4 Ghz *
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 *
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB -DDR3 1600 *
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard -bare *
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 *

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Anything I missed let me know.....any suggestions are welcome.....Remember he is on a Budget.....

Most of all try to stay on topic...NO JACKING :p ---PLz


AP514
 
i bought the i5-3570K for 189.00 at microcenter it has been a good value so far
 
I would say if you are going to do a lot of video editing that the i7 will help for sure, but I somehow doubt the i5 would be a complete slouch at it.
 
No plans to overclock, right? Ditch the CPU cooler. The Intel-provided cooler is completely adequate.
 
No plans to overclock, right? Ditch the CPU cooler. The Intel-provided cooler is completely adequate.

I would still get the cooler, as it will exit the heat out towards a fan.
No sense in keeping heat inside the case, and it allows for OC'n if he ever decided to in the future.
 
Even if I didn't overclock, I say to hell with that stock cooler. Every time I've ever used one it has failed to keep a stock clock CPU's temps in check and is noisy.
 
Yup no Over clcking for this guy......he is just putting Slideshows and home video's together


So really No-HT on the Ivy i5 is not going to be a big deal ?

And the MOBO is ok too ?


AP514
 
I do video encoding on a dual-hexa-core XEON system and HT only really kicks in when I'm doing six or seven simultaneous transcodes (though it takes that many to blip all 12 physical cores). Not having HT will slow you down a bit but I don't think it's all that necessary unless it's how you earn your living. For my next home build where my work will have some spillover onto my home system I don't plan on getting an i7.

EDIT: I personally would look at the 1 TB Velociraptor drive instead of the Caviar Black unless the budget can't afford that.
 
Well, I like the Velociraptor but his budget only allows for 150 on the HD.....so i could go down to 250-300 GB for the raptor .....just wwondering how much of a spped jump the Raptor will be...and for that matter if I go Raptor..why not go SSD ?
 
SSD would be a phenomenal speed bump for the system, assuming lots of seeks or pokes to the drive. I do most of my encoding through a FireWire which is much slower than going to a SATA and it doesn't matter much for direct encoding...

I'm not yet on the SSD bandwagon.
 
He wants to stay on a small budget.......$800

The I5 is fine. If you look at benchmarks the hyperthreading has a 10% to 20% increase is some kinds of transcoding operations, but compared to the jump your friend is going to see with the upgrade the additional performance isn't worth $100 on an $800 budget in my opinion.

You don't need an aftermarket cooler to run at stock speed, so you can save a few bucks there.

Find room in the $800 budget for an SSD. At least for Windows, and even better is if you can fit his commonly used programs on there. 120GB or so would work, and nothing else makes as much difference. Put it this way: if you put an SSD in his current machine, and installed the OS and his programs on it, it would feel faster at start up and launching programs than the upgraded system if it has no SSD. Having both storage systems also will let you use Window Backup to easily save a system image to the HDD so if something goes wrong restoring the system is easy and fast.

If you decide you need a power supply, I like the Seasonic X series.
 
Last edited:
Well thanks for the info......I was looking into a 64Gb Cruicail 4M SSD....but read alot about them Getting the BSOD. I would have him use it For OS and maybe Partition part of it to use as Cache. Not sure if I would even need to Partition..Im a bit new to SSD's


My biggest worry is that the iGPU will be enough...but he has told me that his monitor is 17-19 inch...and im sure he is not running a high res...But seeing I have never used a iGPU I have no idea ...

Thoughts.....

AP514
P.S. maybe i will post over in the Video card area and ask ?
 
HD4000 would be more than enough to push three 1080p displays for regular desktop usage. It's also suitable for some very light 1080p gaming.
 
...

My biggest worry is that the iGPU will be enough...but he has told me that his monitor is 17-19 inch...and im sure he is not running a high res...But seeing I have never used a iGPU I have no idea ...
...

For the last year my wife has been running a 2500 non-K with HD2000 only, no discrete cards, and she runs dual monitors, one 24" 1920x1200, the other 19" 1280x1024. She works on this setup doing scientific research and does run a number of graphical programs (but none as intense as games) and often is watching streaming video either across the web or off our unRaid server or htpc. She has never complained about any issues related to running the iGPU, and she is one of those "users" who tells her "IT Support Group" (me) about every little technical thing.

For no gaming nor any hard core CAD-like work, any SB or IB iGPU will work fine imho. Of course the plus is a discrete card can be added later.
 
Well, I like the Velociraptor but his budget only allows for 150 on the HD.....so i could go down to 250-300 GB for the raptor .....just wwondering how much of a spped jump the Raptor will be...and for that matter if I go Raptor..why not go SSD ?

Drop the cooler, get this drive for $110 today only, then get an SSD with the rest of the budget. 64GB if you must, but I'd try to find something closer to 100GB.
 
well the HDD you pointed out is a SATA II ......might go smaller HDD and get the SSD
 
Mechanical hard drives cannot saturate SATA II. SATA III on mechanical hard drives is mostly a marketing gimmick.
 
Back
Top