i5 clock for clock review

I haven't seen any C2Q vs I5 comparo's yet

So? I don't need one. I have plenty of i7 vs C2Q reviews to show me that the i7 isn't that much faster, if at all, at gaming. Therefore, like I said, I have no reason to upgrade. I'm not too fond of wasting money for a negligible improvement just to have the latest tech/bragging rights/e-peen.

Isn't this a repost? I wouldn't know why anyone would upgrade from a C2Q to an i5 especially for gaming. You'd have to be stupid or have nothing better to do with your time/money.

If you encode then you'd know exactly why someone would step up from a C2Q to an i7. It's funny when people mention how their cpu is adequate at gaming when compared to the i7. I just want to say "really, no sh|t!?!"

Yeah I'm really not understanding why anyone is excited about i5's.

Sounds like a personal problem; there's plenty of reason to be excited about i5s. Sorry for my rudeness, but the "I'm not excited about i5s (for whatever reason) so no one else should be either" attitude annoys the shit out of me.

In all the benchmarks I've seen, the i7 750 performs similarly to the i7 920 and not only will the processor itself be significantly cheaper but the platform cost will be too. That's something to be excited about, especially if you can't afford to buy the top of the line.

Sounds like a personal problem; there's plenty of reason to be excited about i5s. Sorry for my rudeness, but the "I'm not excited about i5s (for whatever reason) so no one else should be either" attitude annoys the shit out of me.

In all the benchmarks I've seen, the i7 750 performs similarly to the i7 920 and not only will the processor itself be significantly cheaper but the platform cost will be too. That's something to be excited about, especially if you can't afford to buy the top of the line.

just basing my opinion on what's already available and benchmarks. Why in the world would you pick this over something like an e8400 (if all you car about is gaming), or a Q9550 (for gaming and everything else).

The i7 gets beat by the Q9550 in multiple (I didn't say most) gaming benchmarks, but it's great for video editing/rendering/3d modeling.

What exactly is the slower i5 bringing to the market that I'm apparently missing?

x58 offers better sli/xfire support with their additional lanes.

If you're a gamer, that and cash are pretty much the deciding factors for you.

And perhaps the hope that games will be optimized for additional cores/threads.

I expect they will eventually.

just basing my opinion on what's already available and benchmarks. Why in the world would you pick this over something like an e8400 (if all you car about is gaming), or a Q9550 (for gaming and everything else).

The i7 gets beat by the Q9550 in multiple (I didn't say most) gaming benchmarks, but it's great for video editing/rendering/3d modeling.

What exactly is the slower i5 bringing to the market that I'm apparently missing?

Why would anyone waste money on a 775 chip now? It's a dead socket

x58 offers better sli/xfire support with their additional lanes.

If you're a gamer, that and cash are pretty much the deciding factors for you.

And perhaps the hope that games will be optimized for additional cores/threads.

I expect they will eventually.

If you're going sli then you might as well spend the extra and get the i7. The future is with the i7 not i5.

I'm sure everyone will be loving there i5 setups when the 6 cores start rolling out. Look at Intels future plans, the i5 doesn't make any sense.

i5 is as dead as 775 and it's not even out yet.

i5 is as dead as 775 and it's not even out yet.

honestly, do you have a time machine that no one knows about ? Jesus, why are you so quick in coming to conclusions ? 1156 chips are not even out yet and you're saying it's dead lol:p and we don't know what's coming out. Just because the 'first' 6-core cpu is coming to 1136 doesn't mean that there won't be any for 1156. and btw that i9 is gonna be $1.5k, well good luck buying that because it won't ever drop in price, because in will be in 'extreme' lineup, which never drop in price.

honestly, do you have a time machine that no one knows about ? Jesus, why are you so quick in coming to conclusions ? 1156 chips are not even out yet and you're saying it's dead lol:p and we don't know what's coming out. Just because the 'first' 6-core cpu is coming to 1136 doesn't mean that there won't be any for 1156. and btw that i9 is gonna be $1.5k, well good luck buying that because it won't ever drop in price, because in will be in 'extreme' lineup, which never drop in price.

I'd actually agree with him, they're pinning a slower technology on everyone after they already hit a homerun with the i7.

I am going to stay with i7 920 because it's not wise to dump 1366 to adopt 1156 economically.

I'd actually agree with him, they're pinning a slower technology on everyone after they already hit a homerun with the i7.
AMD is selling Phenom II CPUs even though they're slower clock for clock than LGA1366 CPUs, LGA1156 CPUs, and even LGA775 Core 2 CPUs. Is AM2+/3 a dead socket as well? No. LGA1156 won't be dead until Intel stops supporting it, which won't happen any time soon and might not even happen for a very long time since I don't believe they've even disclosed exactly how long they plan on keeping it for. It's possible that they'll carry it through the Sandy Bridge generation's mid-range platform or even further.

Why would anyone waste money on a 775 chip now? It's a dead socket

And why would anyone waste money on a 1156 chip now if they already have a pretty capable C2D/C2Q?

And 775 is not dead. New processors are still being released and they will be available until at least 2011. Far from dead.

Back