• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

i5 and i7

TheCommander

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
2,999
Are there any major differences between an i5 and i7 CPU of the same speed? Would it be worth it to shell out the extra cash for an i7 over an i5?
 
are you referring to 1336 i7 or 1156 i7?

for 1336 you have both triple channel memory and hyper threading.

for the 1156 i7 (800 series) you have only hyper threading. the i5 has no hyper threading or triple channel. how these differences will impact you depends on what you do on PC. if you use photoshop or video editing stick with i7 but if gaming is your only concern the the i5 will be fine for you.
 
Last edited:
I was mainly looking at the 900 series such as the 920 and 930. I thought 1156 does not support triple channel memory.
 
Theres no s1366 i5s, either.
i5/i7 on s1156 the difference is HT
moving to s1366 gets you greater forward compatibility, triple channel, easier OC. And more heat and expense.
 
if the most cpu intensive task for you is gaming i would recommend a i3 cpu.

look at this article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i3-gaming,2588.html

The good news for low-budget Intel buyers is that jumping in with the cheapest i3 model yields virtually no performance deficit at the highest gaming details, at least when the system is limited to a single high-end, single-GPU card like the Radeon HD 5850.
 
I use an i3 to play world of warcraft with a 9800gt and 8gigs of ddr3. I have the i3 overclocked to 4.51ghz with a coolermaster hyper 212+ it doesn't get over 60c at 100% load using prime95. I looked at getting an i7 but it was more fun to build a budget rig that outperforms other cpus that cost $150+. Overall I'm super happy with my i3, I wouldn't pay the difference for an i7. Like others have said, i3s are plenty of processor if you are focused on gaming.
 
Did correcting that make you horny?

WTF? hahaha...

Don't have a 1156 to compare with, but @OP if you're gaming, Hyperthreading seems to be negligible, but it's great for media encoding and anything else that gets queued up.

Hyperthreading does give a silky smooth OS experience. So that may matter to you.
 
Last edited:
if you have a MicroCenter near by go with i7 1366, well worth it. I love the performance of my 920@ 4.0ghz
 
Back
Top