i5 7600K vs 8600K

revv

Weaksauce
If I have an i5 7600K, is there a huge advantage in upgrading to a 8600K given that I also have to buy a mobo? I mostly use it to play Battlefield, Elite Dangerous and a few other games.

Will it provide a significant and noticeable difference in speed?

For gaming, the difference isn't gonna be great enough for what it would cost for a new cpu and platform. You could get a 2 fps increase in some games, 5-10fps in others, and maybe 20fps in 1 or 2 games you don't even play. I would wait another couple years or for some change in the gaming landscape that requires more cpu power to get a decent experience.

all the way around, depending on the games and resolution, the difference can be HUGE due the limitation that just 4 threads present on some games that will stutter, and present choppy behavior, not everything it's just about average FPS, but about minimum FPS and FPS stability. quad core without HT struggle to deliver a smooth experience on a lot of games specially the newer ones that will peg those 4 cores easily at 80 - 100%.. however I would not upgrade from a 7600k to 8600k I would straight to the 8700K. actually even the 8 threads on my 6700K are not enough on some game seven at 4.8ghz so obviously im going to upgrade to the 8700K soon.

all the way around, depending on the games and resolution, the difference can be HUGE due the limitation that just 4 threads present on some games that will stutter, and present choppy behavior, not everything it's just about average FPS, but about minimum FPS and FPS stability. quad core without HT struggle to deliver a smooth experience on a lot of games specially the newer ones that will peg those 4 cores easily at 80 - 100%.. however I would not upgrade from a 7600k to 8600k I would straight to the 8700K. actually even the 8 threads on my 6700K are not enough on some game seven at 4.8ghz so obviously im going to upgrade to the 8700K soon.

What are those games? From all the reviews there's almost no advantage in gaming even at 1080p over 7700k (which is essentially same as 6700k). At 1440p there's no advantage at all anywhere to be seen. 8700k looks more like a sidegrade tbh for any i7 sky/kaby and even haswell owner.

How is 50% more performance a sidestep? As Araxie stated, it is not always about average FPS, which is what most reviewers focus on. Crysis 3 is an example where the i5 7600k really struggles. Tomb raider as well:

Furthermore, you might want to run projects in the background that use up CPU resources as well. The 8600k would be a nice upgrade, but I agree that going 8700k would have you covered for years in the future.

Back