• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

i5 760 vs i7 930

i5 760 vs i7 930


  • Total voters
    161
The reason I bought an i7 over an i5 was because of advantages of the X58 chipset over the P55 chipset. This was some months ago that I did the research so I can't even remember exactly what the advantages are. I think advantages involved SLI speed, SATA3 and USB3 handling.

Um, if I'm not mistaken doesn't the i5 (P55) have USB3 and SATA3?

EDIT: I knew I wasn't crazy. The P55/i5 does have USB3 and SATA3. I've also heard that the SLI speed is nearly negligible (unless someone has a benchmark around to prove otherwise).
 
Then this isn't a "is i7 or i5 better thread" that can be universally relevant to people who are making this choice in the future that you've made it out to be. This is a "my specific needs" based on some very perticular board choices.
Sure it is. But unless one of these readers has pricing control over @ newegg, the i7 setup I posted will always be pricier than the i5. Just because we disagree on parts, doesn't mean the information or our opinions are any less valuable to others.

I do not know why you came in here this morning w/ such a judgemental attitude. And I'm not sure why you continue to persist in such a rude manner, but it needs to stop.

Look, you can either...

1. Offer advice, comment, or discuss the OP question and anything related in a friendly manner.

2. Leave.

But the constant disagreement and "prove me wrong" attacks aren't helping anyone except maybe your online personna's ego. And now you've made this into a pissing contest by quoting my words and attempting to rearrange them out of context in a manner that suits you best. Good luck w/ whatever you decide. ;)


Here's some system power consumption numbers from various sites comparing an i7 920/X58 vs an i5 750/P55. The amount shown is how much more power the i7 uses than the i5 @ idle and load.

Hexus: 45 watts idle, 70 watts load
X-bit labs: 30 watts idle, 74 watts load
PC Perspective: 52 watts idle, 59 watts load
Tom's Hardware:41 watts idle, 59 watts load
Legion Hardware: 32 watts idle, 93 watts load
Hardware Canucks: 48 watts idle, 89 watts load

1252272815k6EQGKewfA_6_1.gif


No surprise here, HT kicks temps up and Lynnfield's have been reworked for even less power consumption, both idle, and load.

Here's my real world example. Browsing the web, nothing intensive. I left the pc to grab a snack and when I came back, I could feel myself walking through heat. That never happened w/ the Q9550/X38 in here. The 930 running @ stock speeds w/ default BIOS options and all power management features on noticeably increases the temperature with light office work. I can only imagine what a 3 hour BC2 session would do.
 
People are always talking about how many watts a cpu or gpu uses but they never talk about real life differences. Suppose you run both cpus on 100% load 24/7 for 1 friggin' year. How much money are we talking about here in electricity bills? Is there a $5 or $100 difference?





Sure it is. But unless one of these readers has pricing control over @ newegg, the i7 setup I posted will always be pricier than the i5. Just because we disagree on parts, doesn't mean the information or our opinions are any less valuable to others.

I do not know why you came in here this morning w/ such a judgemental attitude. And I'm not sure why you continue to persist in such a rude manner, but it needs to stop.

Look, you can either...

1. Offer advice, comment, or discuss the OP question and anything related in a friendly manner.

2. Leave.

But the constant disagreement and "prove me wrong" attacks aren't helping anyone except maybe your online personna's ego. And now you've made this into a pissing contest by quoting my words and attempting to rearrange them out of context in a manner that suits you best. Good luck w/ whatever you decide. ;)


Here's some system power consumption numbers from various sites comparing an i7 920/X58 vs an i5 750/P55. The amount shown is how much more power the i7 uses than the i5 @ idle and load.

Hexus: 45 watts idle, 70 watts load
X-bit labs: 30 watts idle, 74 watts load
PC Perspective: 52 watts idle, 59 watts load
Tom's Hardware:41 watts idle, 59 watts load
Legion Hardware: 32 watts idle, 93 watts load
Hardware Canucks: 48 watts idle, 89 watts load

1252272815k6EQGKewfA_6_1.gif


No surprise here, HT kicks temps up and Lynnfield's have been reworked for even less power consumption, both idle, and load.

Here's my real world example. Browsing the web, nothing intensive. I left the pc to grab a snack and when I came back, I could feel myself walking through heat. That never happened w/ the Q9550/X38 in here. The 930 running @ stock speeds w/ default BIOS options and all power management features on noticeably increases the temperature with light office work. I can only imagine what a 3 hour BC2 session would do.
 
The real life problem is that it warms my office considerably and causes discomfort.

But I think you're getting @ the cost of the extra power, which I would have no idea about. This isn't what's putting me off the i7 however, it's the heat the extra power brings with it.
 
yeah my i7 920 is a hot cpu even with my dual fan H50 my temps are 38c for idle and 55c - 60c under load.
 
I'm pushing 80c @ those speeds w/ a TRUE and a 1400 RPM fan, but the mount's off so it wasn't quite making full contact. With the Intel stock fan, I'm seeing 90c w/ stock settings, haha. I never got a chance to see how much more heat HT adds though. I wonder how much the gap would close w/ HT off...compared to an i5 750 that is.
 
People are always talking about how many watts a cpu or gpu uses but they never talk about real life differences. Suppose you run both cpus on 100% load 24/7 for 1 friggin' year. How much money are we talking about here in electricity bills? Is there a $5 or $100 difference?

Its easy to calculate and depends on how much you pay per kWh. Just multiplay the wattage by 24 hours then by 7 days then 52 weeks in a year and divide by 1000 to get kWh, then multiply that by how much you pay per kWh.

So 100W running 24/7 all year is 100*24*7*52/1000 = 873.6 kWh per year. So if you pay $0.20 per kWh, that'd cost you $174.72 per year.
 
So to my earlier post - is there much life left in LGA1156/1366?
Nope, both are being replaced in 2011.

EDIT: Also, I voted for the i5 760. I really like the 1156 platform, it offers the same performance with much less power consumption/heat.
 
Its easy to calculate and depends on how much you pay per kWh. Just multiplay the wattage by 24 hours then by 7 days then 52 weeks in a year and divide by 1000 to get kWh, then multiply that by how much you pay per kWh.

So 100W running 24/7 all year is 100*24*7*52/1000 = 873.6 kWh per year. So if you pay $0.20 per kWh, that'd cost you $174.72 per year.

Yeah, but most people only have their computer on 8 hours a day, and they only pay 0.10$/kwHour. Even using his load numbers above of 75W average (high 60, low 90) that's 22$/year.
 
Nope, both are being replaced in 2011.

EDIT: Also, I voted for the i5 760. I really like the 1156 platform, it offers the same performance with much less power consumption/heat.

Thanks.

Interesting thread BTW.
 
When looking at a potential build, I like predict where my bottlenecks will likely manifest themselves. I'd choose the i5-760 if I was running a single GPU configuration because very rarely would the i5-760 be the limiting factor in a modern game. If you're not into encoding or using heavy cpu-bound programs, when would you ever fully take advantage of the i7-930 and its triple-lane memory? On top of that, the i5 runs much cooler and is a lot less expensive to build. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but then again, Jodiuh and I have already discussed this at length :)
 
Few cubes of ice
12 oz of soy milk
1 scoop of bananas
2 scoops of strawberies
2 tablespoons of agave (substitute honey)

Mmmmmmm! And it'll cool you down so the i7 doesn't melt ur face off. :/

Look who broke the post per year tradition! Don't get too crazy now.

So I disabled ht and removed a stick of ram to get a feel for an i5 700 series and I gotta say, I didn't notice any difference aside from 5+ threaded apps. So I packed everything up and headed back to fry's. Unfortunately, they didn't have any boards or ram I could live with, so ill be waiting awhile on the ups man. Really wish we had a microcenter instead of a fry's.

What X58 or P55 boards would you guys pick out?

The revised MSI p55a-60? looks nice, bit apparently it doesn't support SLI. I don't really see anything of value aside from the ud3r or sabertooth on the X58 front tho.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, but most people only have their computer on 8 hours a day, and they only pay 0.10$/kwHour. Even using his load numbers above of 75W average (high 60, low 90) that's 22$/year.


Yeah of course... I was responding to the post asking what the $$ value when running 24/7 is and my example was simply to show how to calculate it based off your own usage and pricing. ;) I pay almost $0.2/kWh :p
 
Well, I went against popular opinion. If Duke Nukem uses HT, I'm gonna be pissed!

Asus P7P55D-E Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621

i5 760
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115067

G.Skill Eco 4GB 1600 CL7 1.35V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321

Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185058

Thermalright Venomous
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-VENOMX&title=Thermalright-Venomous-X-CPU-Cooler

Good, yeah? Still need a GPU, but w/ ATI's new stuff coming out so soon, I'm gonna hang back a bit. So any changes you guys woulda made? I be sure to post back w/ comparisons to the i7 setup in a week or so. I hope the OC's as easy.
 
I don't know if I would chose the 760 or the 930... good thing I'm not in a similar situation. :p
 
I was pretty unsure too. Actually using the 930 alleviated any problems I had with the decision. If I was smart like u, I'd at least wait for the 2500k. But I'm not. ;)
 
Yeah of course... I was responding to the post asking what the $$ value when running 24/7 is and my example was simply to show how to calculate it based off your own usage and pricing. ;) I pay almost $0.2/kWh :p

Sucks to be you. I the national average is between 10-11 cents/kWhr
 
I don't know if I would chose the 760 or the 930... good thing I'm not in a similar situation. :p

I am in that situation. I can assure you, it is a bitch. But I guess I can't really complain that much, it's nice to have choices. :D
 
The only reasons to get the i5 are:

1-Cant afford the i7
and
2-Cant afford the i7

If you can afford the i7, get it. This nonsense about quieter is just that. There are tons of solutions for the noise... As for power consumption stock for stock both are going to idle a lot less than when at full load and overclocked and how often is that is your consideration since you know more than us how much you are going to use it. Electrical costs long term are usually not worth considering because they are costs over time of course and there are ways to diminish their impact as well (PS efficiency, load, OCing, usage elsewhere tradeoff, etc).

For instance my system runs in a room that is not air conditioned, I consider that a push then because I dont actively cool it with A/C. But your location climate will dictate in many cases.

In so many of these, "Which one should I get" scenarios I find the OP already has an intended solution, but wants user validation... If you just want us to tell you to spend the money, I say go for it and find some cost savings somewhere else...
 
The only reasons to get the i5 are:

1-Cant afford the i7
and
2-Cant afford the i7...For instance my system runs in a room that is not air conditioned...
Fine, but why? What performance advantages or extra capabilities does the i7 build offer over the i5? For example, how does triple channel or HT improve your computing experience?

I made the thread in hopes of finding someone that's used both and can give actual usage comparisons. Secondly, I wanted to hear from others about why they chose or would chose one over the other.

If I lived in a region that required no AC, the i7 / 470 build would have much more traction. Unfortunately its over 100 nearly 1/2 the year and my office space is not large enough to deal with the heat. After using the i7 / x58 setup for extended periods of time the room temp became too high for my tastes.

I only used it briefly, but I would list reasons to get an i5 as this...

-HT software is not a priority
-triple channel ram will not offer real world performance gains
-no intention to plug in gulftown later on
-not interested in 3x or 4x gpu configurations
-heat output is a concern
-possibly lower overclock is acceptable or your cooling with air
-$ is a concern

For me, the decision became more clear as no one really mentioned any solid benefits of an i7 that appealed to me. Hopefully sandy bridge will make this decision easier for folks willing to wait a litlle longer. And maybe in another couple years we'll see real gains from HT in more than just encoding, rendering, and compression related programs.
 
Fine, but why? What performance advantages or extra capabilities does the i7 build offer over the i5? For example, how does triple channel or HT improve your computing experience?

I made the thread in hopes of finding someone that's used both and can give actual usage comparisons. Secondly, I wanted to hear from others about why they chose or would chose one over the other.

If I lived in a region that required no AC, the i7 / 470 build would have much more traction. Unfortunately its over 100 nearly 1/2 the year and my office space is not large enough to deal with the heat. After using the i7 / x58 setup for extended periods of time the room temp became too high for my tastes.

I only used it briefly, but I would list reasons to get an i5 as this...

-HT software is not a priority
-triple channel ram will not offer real world performance gains
-no intention to plug in gulftown later on
-not interested in 3x or 4x gpu configurations
-heat output is a concern
-possibly lower overclock is acceptable or your cooling with air
-$ is a concern

For me, the decision became more clear as no one really mentioned any solid benefits of an i7 that appealed to me. Hopefully sandy bridge will make this decision easier for folks willing to wait a litlle longer. And maybe in another couple years we'll see real gains from HT in more than just encoding, rendering, and compression related programs.
It seems like this thread really spoke to you, excellent summary. It's true that the i7 9xx CPU's offer some extra features and performance over the i5 7xx CPU's, but the big question is, is it worth the money? For me, it's not a question of budget constraints so much as one of wasting money. When I purchased my i5 750 when they were released a year ago, it had everything I needed and nothing I didn't, and was a $150 cheaper platform than the i7 920 at the time. I'm still running it at 4.0GHz now, and there's no way to tell the difference between that and the possible ~4.2GHz I could get with an i7 920 D0 and triple channel memory. Never mind that Sandy Bridge is right around the corner, and if all previews are accurate, it'll wipe the floor with whatever is available today.
 
Never mind that Sandy Bridge is right around the corner, and if all previews are accurate, it'll wipe the floor with whatever is available today.
Gee, thanks for pointing that out. :D
 
Mr. K6 said:
Never mind that Sandy Bridge is right around the corner, and if all previews are accurate, it'll wipe the floor with whatever is available today.

I will, rather prematurely, do this. I'm just obliged:

shoopdawhoopwallpaper.jpg
 
It seems like this thread really spoke to you, excellent summary. It's true that the i7 9xx CPU's offer some extra features and performance over the i5 7xx CPU's, but the big question is, is it worth the money? For me, it's not a question of budget constraints so much as one of wasting money. When I purchased my i5 750 when they were released a year ago, it had everything I needed and nothing I didn't, and was a $150 cheaper platform than the i7 920 at the time. I'm still running it at 4.0GHz now, and there's no way to tell the difference between that and the possible ~4.2GHz I could get with an i7 920 D0 and triple channel memory. Never mind that Sandy Bridge is right around the corner, and if all previews are accurate, it'll wipe the floor with whatever is available today.

Exactly. And as I update my machine every 2 years or so (give or take 6 months), the jump in price just isn't worth the money to me. It's weird, part of me wants to think the i7 is this magical jump that really will help performance and remove this invisible performance ceiling that the i5 has, but the reality is the i5 really isn't that much slower than the i7- at least not from what I can tell. I've yet to see any huge gains to be had (at least gaming wise).
 
I went to the egg and the price difference is $76 between the two processors which doesn't seem like much when you factor in that building a new PC is going to cost like $700 to $1000+. I was all set on the i5 760 till I saw the price $209. I think I'll wait till the price drops to $125-150 before I build a new system. If you're going to build right now just pay the extra $76 for the better processor.
 
I went to the egg and the price difference is $76 between the two processors which doesn't seem like much when you factor in that building a new PC is going to cost like $700 to $1000+. I was all set on the i5 760 till I saw the price $209. I think I'll wait till the price drops to $125-150 before I build a new system. If you're going to build right now just pay the extra $76 for the better processor.

What were the exact parts you were comparing? Could you list them all please (both the i5 and i7 setups)? I mean if your math is right, then I'm all over that.
 
Never mind that Sandy Bridge is right around the corner, and if all previews are accurate, it'll wipe the floor with whatever is available today.


I've heard this about every single CPU release ;)
 
Well, it was pretty accurate when the core 2 duos came out.
 
Gee, thanks for pointing that out. :D
Sorry, just figured I throw in the relevance factor. Continuing on that though, it doesn't matter much if you're only gaming as you'll see no real difference.
I will, rather prematurely, do this. I'm just obliged:
Pretty much summarizes it actually :D.
I've heard this about every single CPU release ;)
How's 4.9GHz on air and 10-15% faster clock-for-clock sound? :D
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2106017 (more benches later in the thread). I'm not saying this will be the norm, but it shows this silicon has potential :).
 
If we get 15% faster cfc and 5Ghz common on H2O, it'll be a real winner. We'll have to see what the inital reports come out as. But even 4Ghz common on Air at 15% would be a 4.6Ghz equivelent i5/7.
 
The only reasons to get the i5 are:

1-Cant afford the i7
and
2-Cant afford the i7

That's a rather simplistic way to look at things. The main disadvantage of i5 compared to i7 is obviously HT, and x8/x8 CF/SLI on P55 vs x16/x16 on X58. Everyone knows the benefits of HT in multithreaded scenarios so I won't rehash the obvious, and x8/x8 only becomes a limitation with high end GPUs, and let's face it, if you're going to splash out $1000 on a high end CF/SLI setup, i7+ X58 is a no brainer.

I should mention that (besides lower power consumption / CPU temps) i5 can actually have a performance advantage over i7 in single/dual threaded software because it is has a more aggressive Turbo mode than i7.

I know a lot of people turn Turbo off when overclocking but I find it beneficial for my needs because I don't run a lot of massively multithreaded software, and it gives me a good balance between single and multithreaded performance. With my i5 750, my base overclock in the BIOS is 175 x 20 (3.5GHz), and it turbos to x21 (3.67GHz) with 4 cores loaded, x23 (4GHz) with 2 cores loaded and x24 (4.2GHz) with 1 core loaded. This is all at stock volts as well (1.156V in BIOS, dynamically adjusts to ~1.25V when only 1 or 2 cores are loaded). You don't get this sort of flexibility on the i7 platform. It's all about multithreaded performance, which is great if you do a lot of encoding or 3D rendering, but for a gamer like myself, the i5 is the better choice overall, not to mention its a lot cheaper too. ;) :cool:

PS. I didn't vote on this thread because I believe each platform has its pros and cons and ultimately it comes down to your usage patterns and budget to determine what is 'best' for you.
 
That sounds awesome. I'm all about power management. S3 is our friend.

What board are you using?
 
That's a rather simplistic way to look at things. The main disadvantage of i5 compared to i7 is obviously HT, and x8/x8 CF/SLI on P55 vs x16/x16 on X58. Everyone knows the benefits of HT in multithreaded scenarios so I won't rehash the obvious, and x8/x8 only becomes a limitation with high end GPUs, and let's face it, if you're going to splash out $1000 on a high end CF/SLI setup, i7+ X58 is a no brainer.

I should mention that (besides lower power consumption / CPU temps) i5 can actually have a performance advantage over i7 in single/dual threaded software because it is has a more aggressive Turbo mode than i7.

I know a lot of people turn Turbo off when overclocking but I find it beneficial for my needs because I don't run a lot of massively multithreaded software, and it gives me a good balance between single and multithreaded performance. With my i5 750, my base overclock in the BIOS is 175 x 20 (3.5GHz), and it turbos to x21 (3.67GHz) with 4 cores loaded, x23 (4GHz) with 2 cores loaded and x24 (4.2GHz) with 1 core loaded. This is all at stock volts as well (1.156V in BIOS, dynamically adjusts to ~1.25V when only 1 or 2 cores are loaded). You don't get this sort of flexibility on the i7 platform. It's all about multithreaded performance, which is great if you do a lot of encoding or 3D rendering, but for a gamer like myself, the i5 is the better choice overall, not to mention its a lot cheaper too. ;) :cool:

PS. I didn't vote on this thread because I believe each platform has its pros and cons and ultimately it comes down to your usage patterns and budget to determine what is 'best' for you.

This.Is.Gold. Took the words right out of my mouth.
 
That sounds awesome. I'm all about power management. S3 is our friend.

What board are you using?

I'm using a Gigabyte P55-UD3. Entry level P55 mobo but is a great overclocker.

Yeah I'm all about power management too. I understand the argument that it doesn't effect your power bill *that* much, but I just like it when my PC is running efficiently. :cool: It also doesn't heat up your room as much in summer. :D
 
Ah. A friend has the ud6 doin the low volt, high volt show as well. I think giga calls it dynamic vid. Hopefully the asus has something similar.
 
Back
Top