• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i5 760 vs i7 930

i5 760 vs i7 930


  • Total voters
    161
Venomous X

I know the arrow and DH14 cool better, but they're fugly IMO. And they take up the whole damn case. I want to see the slick G.Skill stix!

I've got a Thermaltake Smart Fan Blue LED TT A2018 that I like to move around 1450 RPM so it keeps the sound signature @ the 5 SFLEX E intake/middle fans noise level. I did order one of the Slipstream 1200 RPM's, but might not use it since it's got no color or flashy lights. :D

Edit: I would have kept the true, but I don't care for the mount and I'm a little broken when it comes to coolers, so the vx with its killer easy and solid mounting hardware was an easy choice. Plus it looks sinister so it'll frighten the dust bunnies away.
 
Last edited:
ninja EDIT:

Not what you wanna hear, but I tried moving from a Stacker 810 to this for ease of moving to LAN's w/ no success. It's small, tight, cramped, louder, and doesn't cool as well either. Sucks carrying a big ridiculous case around, but I'll be damned if I sacrifice cooling, noise, and ease of working inside the case. You might even find a used one for $80. It has wheels man...wheels. It's def pricer, but IMO, a setup as fast as yours deserves a HAF X.

Wait which case are you going with again my Comment was for K6 and the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced.

The Haf does look nice but also $120 bucks more are there better choices at the $200 price level?

Which version True is that? And I agree that arrow and DH14 just take up way too much space.

As for the fan choices i'm starting to go away from LED lit fans kinda grew out of it even tho my current case is lit up like a christmas tree. With the case swap coming i'm going to stick with just all black Scythe fans
 
I've had a Stacker 810 for four years now. During that time, I've cut holes for wire management, installed a 4 drive hdd suspension kit, and laid out carpeting. So as much as I'd like something with a better looking external appearance, I put too much work into the Stacker.

I tried to move everything over into the original 690, but it didn't work out. :/

There's plenty of options in the $200 arena. Kyle just did an article on the new raven with its unique 90 degree rotation that puts the gpus and everything else in a way that all the air goes right up through the top. Antec has that new lanboy air too.

EDIT: It's the original TRUE vs the new Venomous X. Basically, it's an updated TRUE w/ a VASTLY improved mounting system. I'm not a fan of all kinds of lights. The blue TT's the only light in there aside from the board's various diag lights and what not. It's not super bright, more of a chill blue that looks really good. I do have 2 white cathodes in there, but they're mostly used for when I'm checking on things inside, ie. copping a feel on a heatsink or checking fan airflow/movement, etc.

Here's some images from my CM690 original build...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Cases/IMG_2121-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Cases/IMG_2119-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Cases/IMG_2117-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Cases/IMG_2097-1.jpg

And the Stacker 810...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Stacker 810 Black/810lanpartyp35.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Stacker 810 Black/IMG_2186.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Stacker 810 Black/IMG_2866.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Stacker 810 Black/IMG_2865.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Stacker 810 Black/IMG_3165.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jodiuh/Stacker 810 Black/IMG_2890.jpg

As you can see, a big case makes life much easier.
 
Last edited:
Yup. Taking a look @ even the Raven, it's still a little cramped compared to the good ol stacker or the bigger HAF's. Not to mention the top's got holes, so you better watch ur sodas! Lian Li's also offer ginormous working areas. And they're crazy light too. The only cramped quarters case I'd go w/ would be the P183. It's so quiet and "normal" looking.
 
haha soda's my current case has a top mounted 92mm fan and I don't allow anyone close to my computer with a drink unless they sign a form agreeing to replace the machine if they cause any damage.








I'm joking about the form ;)
 
It's not other's I'm concerned about. I once dumped a can of Jone's Cream Soda on this...

gtsli.jpg


Thankfully, everyone lived. I've never powered on a system outside of a case since that day.
 
Indeed

:)

Question for you actually i'm looking to upgrade my case possibly to the one you have can pick it up for around 79.99 on sale did you enjoy the build process in it?

I got a 6 knob fan controller so thinking of replacing the stock fans also with some Scythe ones.

How is the air flow?
I don't think I can say enough good things about the 690 II Advanced :D. I was mostly an Antec man because I loved the "solidness" of their cases, and I occasionally dabbled with CM cases, usually on cheaper builds. However, this case has completely changed my opinion. I went with it because it was the smallest case I could find that fit two 240mm radiators without modding. It also looks really good and is really well built. Here are some pics of my build:

The case is designed really well for airflow, and there's a lot of flexibility with how you can set it up. For only $90 shipped, it comes with a lot of extras, like dust filters for the front, bottom, PSU, and top fans (although nothing for the side panel :(), 1x clear 140mm blue LED, 1x 140mm black and 1x120mm fans, switch to control lighting, eSATA port, HDD docking station, all-black interior, side expansion slot for ports, water cooling ports, etc. etc. Although it's designed well for airflow, the fans that come with it are kind of crap I thought. The 120mm is silent, but spins very slowly and doesn't move much air. I tried both 140mm's on the side panel and the front and both made too much noise for my liking (read: weren't silent), so, contrary to the pics, I currently have no case fans installed and rely on the rad fans to move air. My temps are still fantastic though. Lemme know if you have more questions (PM if you want).

I shed a little tear upon opening the box and discovering a foxconn socket. One of the reasons I went with this over the gigabyte was because it didnt have the foxconn socket.
I wouldn't worry. I have a Gigabyte board with a Foxconn socket from the launch of socket 1156, when all those reports of sockets blowing up surfaced. I've checked my socket several times over the last year and there's no issues there. I think a lot of those sockets blew up because naive/ignorant testers were pumping way too much VTT, thinking these CPU's were like their socket 1366 older brothers, and frying the chips.

The RAM looks ridiculously awesome. So much so that everything else sort of falls by the wayside. That it'll run at 1. 35 just adds to the package. Great skill through memory!! Seriously dos that company ever do anything wrong? I've had nothing but grade a product from them.
I've been using the Gigabyte mobo/G.Skill RAM combo for the last few years and have yet to not be amazed, never mind disappointed. And those sticks look damn good :D.
 
From what I saw, there were chips without the little scratches on them from the socket. Is that what you checked for?

You really pushed that little 690!

I really wish ram slot it at an angle like it used to. Not only would we be able to see the shields, but there'd more clearance for the giant air coolers.
 
Thanks for the pics K6 i'm going to grab one of these for sure, you can't go wrong at that price.Also I tend to stick with medium size towers over full tower based on where I have my computer located just works better for me.I looked at the 600T aswell but I think the 690 advanced has it beat in price/performance tho I do love the cable hiding holes in the Corsair cases. And I always replace stock fans, once you go scythe its hard to go back to generic no brand name stuff. If I have any other questions I will PM don't want interupt the OP's thread.
 
From what I saw, there were chips without the little scratches on them from the socket. Is that what you checked for?

You really pushed that little 690!

I really wish ram slot it at an angle like it used to. Not only would we be able to see the shields, but there'd more clearance for the giant air coolers.
Yep, I check that all pins are making contact and that there aren't any signs of damage (burning, etc.). I think RAM sockets are straight because of the constrain for board real estate - if they were angled, I don't know how much you could fit under them or if it would make sense in the circuitry.
Thanks for the pics K6 i'm going to grab one of these for sure, you can't go wrong at that price.Also I tend to stick with medium size towers over full tower based on where I have my computer located just works better for me.I looked at the 600T aswell but I think the 690 advanced has it beat in price/performance tho I do love the cable hiding holes in the Corsair cases. And I always replace stock fans, once you go scythe its hard to go back to generic no brand name stuff. If I have any other questions I will PM don't want interupt the OP's thread.
I don't think you'll be disappointed :cool:.
 
nice lookin' setup you got there K6, mind if I ask what rad you've got set up on top and what kind of clearance it has with the board? I was thinkin' of doing something similar when I pick up up this case and have the money to put together a nice loop. also, do you think there's enough clearance between the bottom and HDD cage to use a push-pull fan setup with shrouds on that size radiator?
 
If I have any other questions I will PM don't want interupt the OP's thread.
Dude, I don't mind. Whatever helps you out works for me. ;)

Red Bull...check.
Hot Dogs...check.
Big Ass Table...check.
Computer Parts...check.
Bears SNF Game...check.

We are go for good times.
6ba5b25b.gif
 
Not good times...

2010-10-09%2004.13.50.jpg


Watching Cutler get sacked 9 times in the first 1/2 sort of killed any motivation I had to put this together last night. Thank God I had one of these to distract me.
 
+2 on your rig mr.k6
nice lookin' setup you got there K6, mind if I ask what rad you've got set up on top and what kind of clearance it has with the board? I was thinkin' of doing something similar when I pick up up this case and have the money to put together a nice loop. also, do you think there's enough clearance between the bottom and HDD cage to use a push-pull fan setup with shrouds on that size radiator?
Thanks guys :cool:. The top has minimal clearance. Really, the only setup possible is a single row rad a la the MCR220 (what I have), an RS240 from XSPC, etc. Here's some close ups to show what I'm talking about, there's literally about 1mm from the top of the board to the bottom of the rad. The rad actually has to be mounted with the barbs toward the front of the case, because on my board (and I think most MB's) they hit the top PS2 and USB ports on the I/O panel.

The bottom has plenty of room for a 120x120x25mm push/pull setup even with a dual row rad like the RX240. Honestly though, if you have something like the RX240 it really isn't necessary because the fpi is so low.

Watching Cutler get sacked 9 times in the first 1/2 sort of killed any motivation I had to put this together last night. Thank God I had one of these to distract me.
Lol, man, that's when you turn it off and put your head into your other hobbies. :cool:
 
It looks alright. To be honest, that isn't much flex at all. Hell, most old school watercoolers put at least twice that on a motherboard when they bow a mount. I think it's a sign that you're getting a nice, tight fit, as is evident from your shots of your CPU. It looks like you're making good contact on all the pins.
 
What about the blacked out pin in the socket? And the crazy noise it's making? Also, the pads have little pin marks, but not the line scratches on all of them. I'm sure I'm being a little overzealous w/ this, but I have the worst luck w/ electronics. I bet I could explode a HDD simply by staring it down...sort of like that goats movie.
 
K6, now that I think about it, what are the odds of being able to mount a slim 2x140mm rad up top in the CM692? there aren't many I know of, but I know they make them and if it's possible it'd make up for needing to use a slim rad (it's just finding the right 140mm fans is going to be a bitch, lol).

trying to get a good idea for how to make my finished build live up to it's name (sleeping monster), haha.
 
Put a can of monster on the bottom of the chassis and tuck it under a blanket.
 
2010-10-16142432-1.jpg


2010-10-16151241-1.jpg


AsusP7P55D-EProandIntelCorei5760fromNeweggidleandloadvoltagesandtempswithLinX.jpg


Runs MUCH cooler than the i7 930/470 setup before it. It's a little weird seeing 24C and 30C idle temps on CPU and GPU... :eek:
 
Back
Top