• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i5 750...

wol-va-rine

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
2,122
wow, just...wow...

I bought an i5 combo in the for sale forum and installed it today replacing my MSI X48C Platinum (reused the same Transcend DDR3 aXeRAM that I bought off CL a while back, $50 for 4x1GB 1800MHz DDR3...lol) and Q6600@2.8 GHz and the performance boost was absolutely shocking, and the motherboard (Intel DH55HC) is not a performance board by any means but it was basically free considering the price of the cpu, I did a quick SuperPI run and it was five seconds faster than it was with my sig setup which I haven't edited yet...yes, FIVE seconds...

:eek:

not only that, my cpu temps with the coolIT ECO ALC I bought on [H]ere as well dropped about 15°C, probably because the i5 is running at stock everything but as long as it performs better I really don't give a shit about OCing right now...lol...

I want to pick up the MSI P55 GD80 later on when I do decide to OC but I am totally satisfied as it is right now, maybe I'll wait until someone has one for sale [H]ere even though I have the cash on hand already and an open box at teh 'egg would be around $120 IIRC, it just makes it twice as nice getting the performance boost while helping out someone on [H]ere in the process...

again...wow, just.........wow...

EDIT: I've OCed it a little now, 3.2GHz (~1.05v) with the memory at 1280MHz (1.65v) stable after running LinX, the SuperPI score decreased by 1 second to make it 6 seconds faster than my old Q6600 setup, and the temps while running LinX never rached 75°C (one core hit 74°C for a few seconds while the others were in the high 60s)...
 
Last edited:
They overclock really well in my experience. If you wanted some specs to keep in mind, check mine out here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035524427#post1035524427

I will definitely check this out once I get an overclocking board, I'm looking very seriously at the MSI P55 GD80 right now, but I want to wait until someone posts one in the for sale forum, that way I can help out two people, of course myself by saving a little skrilla and taking it off someone's hands that may need the extra cashola...

I may not be able to wait too long though, Newegg has the open box right now for less than $130 IIRC...

:confused:
 
Its a great cpu. I love mine. An absolute great bang for buck.
 
nice, i5 750@4ghz here with a corsair h50 cooling system. cpu is a superstar.
 
yeah, I want to push it because the voltage and temps are so low right now on the DH55HC (high 20s at idle and never hits 70 under LinX after the Shin Etsu cured), I wanted to help out a [H]ard member by waiting to see if one popped up in the FS forum, but just simply couldn't wait and bought an open box for less than $130 shipped at teh 'egg before they sell out, it came to $151 and some change because I also included 4 syringes of the Masscool Shin Etsu 751 (not the X23-7783D I know), but it's all they had and the 4 syringes made the shipping cost worthwhile as buying multiple syringes did not simply multiply the Shin Etsu by the original shipping amount)...

now I can only sit back and wait to see if I get the I/O panel and other accessories, but considering that I'm not using an air cooler (I've been very, very impressed with the coolIT ECO ALC, thanks dracos), the airflow in the case shouldn't be as much of a factor...

I am excited like a kid a few days before Christmas, it is a fucking amazing feeling at my age, definitely makes me feel young again, thanks to [H] for a great review of the board which made up my mind the moment I read it...
 
yeah, I want to push it because the voltage and temps are so low right now on the DH55HC (high 20s at idle and never hits 70 under LinX after the Shin Etsu cured), I wanted to help out a [H]ard member by waiting to see if one popped up in the FS forum, but just simply couldn't wait and bought an open box for less than $130 shipped at teh 'egg before they sell out, it came to $151 and some change because I also included 4 syringes of the Masscool Shin Etsu 751 (not the X23-7783D I know), but it's all they had and the 4 syringes made the shipping cost worthwhile as buying multiple syringes did not simply multiply the Shin Etsu by the original shipping amount)...

now I can only sit back and wait to see if I get the I/O panel and other accessories, but considering that I'm not using an air cooler (I've been very, very impressed with the coolIT ECO ALC, thanks dracos), the airflow in the case shouldn't be as much of a factor...

I am excited like a kid a few days before Christmas, it is a fucking amazing feeling at my age, definitely makes me feel young again, thanks to [H] for a great review of the board which made up my mind the moment I read it...

Awesome :) Well, enjoy, and report back with whatever you manage to get out of it!
 
Awesome :) Well, enjoy, and report back with whatever you manage to get out of it!

FML...

the board is being shipped from Whittier, CA, next week at the earliest is my guess, fuck, the kids were going to be with their mother this weekend and I could've took my time setting it up with no distractions...

of course the smaller of my two orders, the Shin Etsu 751 is being shipped from Edison, NJ, I'll probably get that tomorrow or Saturday...

:mad:

EDIT: yeah, I guess 3 day select shipping is not really 3 days...fuck...no weekend nerd session for me now...estimated arrival is Tuesday the 24th...

GD80shipping.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm using Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in push/pull to cool the i5 750 @ 3.91GHz 1.24v. The cooler does its job really well and is nice to look at. :D
 
I'm using Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in push/pull to cool the i5 750 @ 3.91GHz 1.24v. The cooler does its job really well and is nice to look at. :D

I know opinions will vary on this considering you just gave yours and it differs from mine, but there has never been anything sexier in any of my cases than looking at the cpu area and seeing only a low profile heat exchanger instead of a towering heatsink...

ECO.jpg


insidebuild.jpg


and yeah, I know shit needs to be cleaned, I also need to straighten out the cables and such but I'm waiting until my P55 GD80 comes, this setup was temporary just to make sure down time was kept to a minimum whilst installing the new cpu and mobo...

also that red thing needs to go, I need a black or blue video card to not clash with the interior color scheme (wow, I can't believe I just said that :confused: )...
 
Back
Top