i5-750 < Xeon 3350 ?

Waypo

Weaksauce
So I'm looking at FAHSpy this morning and see that my phenom, Xeon, and i5 are all working on project 6701. I noticed that the Xeon at 3Ghz is beating the i5 at 4.01Ghz by about 2 mins a step. I know things can be different between runs in a project but with a 1Ghz difference I wouldn't have expected the Xeon to best the i5.

So I guess I should ask the question of build another i5/i7 rig or save some cash and find another Xeon? For folding of course.

BTW the Phenom is running 11 mins a step slower.

If you are folding on the 5770s then that's the problem. ATI cards eat up a lot of cpu cycles to fold. There is a fix, but even with the fix they still need more cpu time to fold than NV cards.

I have to recommend against running the Ati client with the SMP client. The Ati client produces far too little and bleeds far too much from the SMP client to be worth it. If we figure in the power consumption not to mention the extra heat running an Ati card and it's clear, IMO. The higher the performance potential of the CPU(s) in a system, the less worth it is to run a GPU client because it subtracts the bonus of the SMP client to a substantial degree and at a certain point becomes a net loss in total PPD.

I have to recommend against running the Ati client with the SMP client. The Ati client produces far too little and bleeds far too much from the SMP client to be worth it. If we figure in the power consumption not to mention the extra heat running an Ati card and it's clear, IMO. The higher the performance potential of the CPU(s) in a system, the less worth it is to run a GPU client because it subtracts the bonus of the SMP client to a substantial degree and at a certain point becomes a net loss in total PPD.

thats what boincs for :D boincs pretty much the only thing id use ATI cards for right now, until PG pulls their heads out of their asses and makes an ATI client that works right..

I'm gonna try running the SMP with out the GPU clients running and see how much of a gain I get over the next week.

Have any of you ever worked with the environment variables for the ATI drivers? I have the following set...

BROOK_YIELD=2
CAL_NO_FLUSH=1
CAL_PRE_FLUSH=1
FLUSH_INTERVAL=112

I ran those environ variables when I had ATI cards. They help a good bit, but the GPUs still impact your SMP client too much compared to NV cards.

Back