• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I5 750 vs Q9550

JJ91284

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Messages
696
Guys I'm contemplating selling my Evga 790i ultra Sli motherboard which has a Q9550 cpu OC to 3.8 ghz. I can get a EVGA P55 FTW motherboard with I5 750 cpu for $280 new. Do you think its worth changing platforms since I think I can break even transferring from one platform to the next. I am utilizing 2 gtx 260's in sli so the P55 FTW should be fine I believe. I also have my main OS on two samsung spinpoint 1 tb hard drives in raid 1. Is the P55 pretty good with the raid setups, or are people having corruption problems

Thanks for the input
 
I honestly doubt you will see much difference at all.

I haven't looked at SLI much on the P55 but I don't believe it supports 16x/16x.
 
depends on if you can sell your current stuff for a good price. need new ram 2
 
Well, if you can sell your current mobo/ram/CPU at a good price then I'd say it's worth changing, especially if you're working with video encoding/decoding applications, perform large compressions etc, then at the same frequency i5 750 would offer around 20 - 25% performance increase over Q9550 due to added new instructions (like SSE4.2) and other architectural changes. Like digitalgunfire has already noticed, you'd have to run SLI at 8x/8x, since EVGA P55 FTW doesn't have NF200 chip, but you should not be worried, since even crossfired HD5870s at 8x/8x PCI-E 2.0 have no performance loss campared to 16x/16x.
 
depends on if you can sell your current stuff for a good price. need new ram 2

Actually the 790i uses ddr3 ram so I'm ok in that department right now. I have four 2gb sticks of ddr3 in my rig now
 
I agree, should've clarified that it depends what you used it for. I always assume 95% gaming on this forum :)
 
If your happy with what you have now then I'd stay with what you got. I don't think it's really worth it at all to switch. Your q9550 at 3.8ghz should be plenty enough. Your obviously gaming with your sli and it runs good on your current setup I'd just keep what you have.
 
If your happy with what you have now then I'd stay with what you got. I don't think it's really worth it at all to switch. Your q9550 at 3.8ghz should be plenty enough. Your obviously gaming with your sli and it runs good on your current setup I'd just keep what you have.

i agree with Bman123....not worth it IMHO.
 
Deffo not worth it in my opinion. I just went from a 2.66ghz Q6700 to an i7 860 and that was probably BARELY worth it.

Your chip to an i5 would almost be a downgrade imo.
 
I don't think you should waste your money with that upgrade. It's not worth it. The one thing I noticed about enthusiasts is that they try to find somewhat pathetic excuses to justify a cpu/gpu/ any other type of component upgrade. I get that there's kind of a thrill in getting new hardware, but going from a q9550 ro an i5 750 is not worth it IMO.
 
Performance wise I would say it’s not much of an upgrade. However that’s not a bad deal for that combo and if you can come close to breaking even on the upgrade I would say go for it. If for no other reason then you have a good chance to get off that Nvidia chipset. I have little to no faith in the reliability of the Nvidia chipsets of the recent past. Even with the EVGA warranty propping up the long term viability of the board you still have the down time during RMA to contend with.

But if you’re confident in the Nvidia chipset and only looking at the i5 as a potential performance upgrade I would pass.
 
If your doing SLI or Crossfire I'd skip the i5/P55 and go for a i7/X58 combo. The X58 chipset supports 2 x16 PCIe slots (and often a third x8 for 3GPUs). The incremental money is worth it since the X58 platform will have a longer life and also supports 6 core Gulftown. To save money I'm using dual channel for now and will upgrade to triple channel later when memory prices drop.
 
Actually the 790i uses ddr3 ram so I'm ok in that department right now. I have four 2gb sticks of ddr3 in my rig now


i would make sure your ram will work with the p55 before you pull the trigger.

as long as it runs 1.65v or lower you'll be fine.
 
If you're breaking even definitely go for it, make the move and don't look back :D
 
Well if you can break even then go for it.

i5 750 will be faster
you will have new parts with 2-3 years of warranty
 
The 750 is faster. If you can make the upgrade for no extra investment, then there's really no reason not to. You'll be basically getting a free performance upgrade.
 
They seem very similar in terms of over clock ability and performance.

IMO a better upgrade would be to a X58 i7 930 or a AMD X6.


Either that or wait for the next generation of Intel CPU's to come out.
 
Yes, if you can make the upgrade w/o paying extra from what you make selling your used parts definitely do it. You'll have new hardware w/ new warranties.
 
Even a small investment to move from an obsolete platform would be worth considering, but if the only cost of the upgrade is your labor, its a no brainer.
 
Q9550 to an i7 930 isn;'t worth the money to upgrade in my opinon

i just built an i7 930 system with 6gb of ram on an x58 motherboard and its slightly faster
maybe a bit more zippier but i don't feel its worth the cost to upgrade. I would wait til they have 6 core cpu available to upgrade.
 
When someone says they don't notice much of a difference from a 775 quad to an i7 they obviously aren't doing much to push it to it's limits.

web browsing for grandmas recipes and surfing through your file folders don't count as testing a computer's abilities :p
 
Q9550 to an i7 930 isn;'t worth the money to upgrade in my opinon

i just built an i7 930 system with 6gb of ram on an x58 motherboard and its slightly faster
maybe a bit more zippier but i don't feel its worth the cost to upgrade. I would wait til they have 6 core cpu available to upgrade.


Did you sell your old hardware? If so how much was the difference in cost after selling your old hardware for the new?

I'm in the middle of upgrading my S775 system to a i7 930 system. I have had alot of fun building my S775 machine. The journey was great and now it's time for another adventure. That is the way that I look at it. I'm getting good deals on my X58 hardware so far.

So far I have secured a i7-930 and a DFI X58 JR. All I need is some good DDR3 and I'm done with the upgrades from S775.
 
When someone says they don't notice much of a difference from a 775 quad to an i7 they obviously aren't doing much to push it to it's limits.

web browsing for grandmas recipes and surfing through your file folders don't count as testing a computer's abilities :p

I agree, I just went from an E8400 @ 4ghz to an i7 930 @ 4ghz. After selling my parts the upgrade cost was pretty cheap. I'm not sure if my CPU maxes out in Bad Company 2 or L4D2 but my minimum FPS feels much higher.
 
I agree, I just went from an E8400 @ 4ghz to an i7 930 @ 4ghz. After selling my parts the upgrade cost was pretty cheap. I'm not sure if my CPU maxes out in Bad Company 2 or L4D2 but my minimum FPS feels much higher.
with your i7 at 4.0 its your 5850 that is the limitation for games. honestly if gaming is your main concern then I would even bring that oc down to 3.8 or 3.6 until you get a much faster gpu. the power consumption jump from 3.8 to 4.0 is massive on the i7 so all you are doing is making more heat and using more power with no benefits.
 
I agree, I just went from an E8400 @ 4ghz to an i7 930 @ 4ghz. After selling my parts the upgrade cost was pretty cheap. I'm not sure if my CPU maxes out in Bad Company 2 or L4D2 but my minimum FPS feels much higher.

You went from a dual-core to a quad-core and noticed an improvement? Well no shit Sherlock (especially in BC2).


Try saying the same about a Q9550/Q9650 to an i7 upgrade.
 
Q9550 to an i7 930 isn;'t worth the money to upgrade in my opinon

i just built an i7 930 system with 6gb of ram on an x58 motherboard and its slightly faster
maybe a bit more zippier but i don't feel its worth the cost to upgrade. I would wait til they have 6 core cpu available to upgrade.

I don’t get this statement at all.

You went from a quad core to a quad core with hyper threading and don’t feel it was an upgrade but somehow think a hex core would have been better.

Now I know not all programs benefit from the logical cores but I think it’s more like you were not doing anything that was taxing even your old quad. Hex cores are great but only faster than a quad if you can use the extra cores.

So anyway what is it your doing with your PC that doesn’t benefit from the higher performance per clock of the i7 quad or hyper threading but would benefit from a hex core i7?


Many computer users have no need for a quad except for a few games they may play that make use of it even less people have a use for a hex core. And I suspect for you a hex core would have been an even bigger disappointment with them costing significantly more than the 930 you purchased.



You went from a dual-core to a quad-core and noticed an improvement? Well no shit Sherlock (especially in BC2).


Try saying the same about a Q9550/Q9650 to an i7 upgrade.

If gaming is the most demanding thing you do with your PC why would you even expect such a move to be worthwhile from a performance standpoint of the CPU alone? We’re talking about the X58 platform here and from a gaming standpoint its advantage is in the SLI and crossfire options it provides. If you were after gaming performance this is where you would have found it on the x58 platform and not in the CPU.
 
Last edited:
Wow. Some of you need to read more carefully. He's not wasting money. He thinks he can break even doing this upgrade. It's like swapping his older, used gear for new gear w/o paying for anything.
 
What I can't believe is why someone would buy his old used system for the same price as upgrading it to a newer unused system. I mean yeah you can get good deals now on older equipment but to actually break even, who would be so stupid to buy it?
 
What I can't believe is why someone would buy his old used system for the same price as upgrading it to a newer unused system. I mean yeah you can get good deals now on older equipment but to actually break even, who would be so stupid to buy it?

part it out and buy the newer tech on deals or used. it's actually quite simple. play the cards right and you can upgrade every cycle for not much $$.
 
I could tell a huge difference from q9550 to i7 920..

When I went to i5 750 @ 3.6ghz I still felt as if I had the i7 920, similar bench scores but transcoding was just slightly slower.

The i5/i7 are much faster than the 775 q9550. and totally worth the upgrade.

i5 750 @ 3.6 pulls low 10's on superPi
 
I went q9550 to i5 750 for almost even money on a p55 mobo, and I would again. 16x/16x to 8x/8x is about a 5% difference at worse case with 2 cards more powerful than 260s. Sell your 9550 setup while you can still get a good bit back for it.
 
part it out and buy the newer tech on deals or used. it's actually quite simple. play the cards right and you can upgrade every cycle for not much $$.

+1 this is my feeling also, always looking for a upgrade for cheap.
 
I could tell a huge difference from q9550 to i7 920..

When I went to i5 750 @ 3.6ghz I still felt as if I had the i7 920, similar bench scores but transcoding was just slightly slower.

The i5/i7 are much faster than the 775 q9550. and totally worth the upgrade.

i5 750 @ 3.6 pulls low 10's on superPi


Super pi is ridiculous software to run and gauge anything but I'm guilty of going thru the benchnign craze with it for years. lol. But honestly, a i5 750 at even 3.6 is the way to go.
 
I'm in a similar predicament. I have dual velociraptor 300 in raid0, a q9550 at 3.6, but am looking for extra cpu power for crunching a lot of data. Obviously an ssd and a 980x would be faster, but how much?

A factor of 2 might pay for the upgrade, since its for business use.
 
You went from a dual-core to a quad-core and noticed an improvement? Well no shit Sherlock (especially in BC2).


Try saying the same about a Q9550/Q9650 to an i7 upgrade.

Best comment in the whole thread......but, I'm sure the i7 is faster.
 
Having used all of the above mentioned systems: Q9550 LGA775, i5-750 LGA1156, and i7-930 LGA1366, I can, with great confidence, suggest that going up to the LGA1366 systems would suit your taste. You are currently running what most would agree is the best setup available for a LGA775 system, so why upgrade to what is now middle of the road of the current architecture?

There are so many good deals to be had for each type of system, but the additional headroom is quite noticeable once you get into actual deep use of a core i7 (LGA1366) system.

Having said that, you asked whether to stick with a Q9550 or part out the system and go for core i5-750... I would definitely upgrade. The new hardware just simply rocks, and with the new k series coming out, you could get an extreme cpu down the road for cheap. IIRC, they are coming out at release for just under $300 (core i7-875k is my reference cpu)
 
What I can't believe is why someone would buy his old used system for the same price as upgrading it to a newer unused system. I mean yeah you can get good deals now on older equipment but to actually break even, who would be so stupid to buy it?

The best way to recover money on older systems is to part them out. A lot of people aren't willing to upgrade their whole system but they'll pay for a part that will make it faster, like more memory, a faster cpu, the motherboard, etc. Because the old tech isn't made anymore, it retains a surprising amount of value for those who want to upgrade their older tech. I sold a rare 939 AMD X2-4800+ that basically paid for my new i7 CPU. It was very nice! ^_^
 
People keep saying if you dont notice a difference then your not taxing your system hard enough. And im sure thats true, but just cause im not taxing my system enough to notice the difference, does that mean i should pick up Video encoding as a hobby just to notice the difference between my old CPU and this new intel i-x cpu? (or in my case my new Q9550)

I game, websurf, and watch movies on my PC. I used to have a E5200 OC'ed 3.5ghz, and upgraded and bought the Q9550. I am happy with the buy cause like someone said, i now have the best PC that socket 775 can be. But in all honesty, i haven't noticed a difference, so in that way i regret the upgrade. Nothing feels snappier, nothing seems faster.

I partly want to say well if you can upgrade and it cost you barely anything, go for it. But honestly i think your system can handle almost everything extremely well, even if you upgraded to a i7 and things were a bit snappier, a few seconds faster when encoding things..is that worth it? Do you need those 3 seconds? I know i dont.
I say wait not until 6 core comes out...or until ____ awesome component comes out. Wait until programmers and game creators start utilizing the tech we have had for the past year (aka Q6600-Q9550). The only real people that need to upgrade to these new components coming out are people that are either hardcore hobbiest of video/picture editing/encoding etc, or the people whos career is to do those things. Like someone said earlier, for PC users, assume 95% reason of being on this forum is gaming. And game creators arent utilizing our tech, they are going backwards...utilizing the tech inside of Xbox 360's, and then porting the game to PC.
All in all, yeah your score on benchmarks might be higher, yeah you might shave a second or 2 off of something or other, but overall, is that worth it? Seems more like being a part of the "NEED TO UPGRADE!!!!" cycle that these companies have created us to be. Write down on a piece of paper the CPU intensive things you do on your computer, and then how well your Q9550 system handles those tasks, next to that write down how much better a i5/i7 would do with those tasks.

I would bet that whats going to be written down is some basic tasks like gaming and websurfing ( i bet the hardest thing 85% of us do to our CPU is benchmark and stress test..not actually using their potential on a real program) And that next to those tasks i bet you will have written your Q9550 does them perfectly well, and next to that, how a i5/i7 would perform the tasks, written would be that the improvement would either be non-noticeable, or at best: "shaved a second or 2 off the program launch time".

For me personally, I can accept that theres nothing i do that creates a need for a upgrade to i7, as badly as i want a new system. I will see no real world performance boost cause the things i do, a overclocked Dual core 775 socket CPU can do perfectly. The biggest reason for that is almost all games utilize 2 cores not 4. The one thing i can upgrade on my system to improve it is my GPU, which isnt that great. BUT, i haven't yet cause i play all my games on 1680x1050 on highest settings and the games play perfectly. Once or IF programs/games start to utilize quad cores, hyper threading, hex-cores, etc...THEN i will jump onto the band wagon and get w/e intel is offering. BUT may i say, that even if that day ever does happen..im sure two intel CPU refreshes will have already happened by then, and your i5/i7 will be 1-3 years out of date. Basically we can scream all we want about wanting games made for PC (better graphics, dedicated servers), but our screams fall on deaf/greedy ears. The companies making games fully admit that all the money is in consoles, so they make games for consoles...and i doubt that it will ever change from that. And yes consoles will get better and better, but they refresh every 4-6 YEARS, and i highly doubt there will ever be a console in the next 10 years that meets what my $900 PC right now can do (when it comes to level of performance in games).
Just remember, upgrading for the sake of stress testing/benchmarking is like buying a new 600HP engine for your car, just to put it on the Dyno and show off the print out to your friends that it has 600HP...when in reality all the streets in your city have a speed limit of 35MPH and never in your life will you push the car to even half its potential. That's what our PC's are like right now, beasts that are being held back by the lack of utilization by games and operating systems and programs.
 
Last edited:
So did you go through with the buy to i5/i7 or you keeping your Q9550?

Lol i swear im like the forum thread killer. I come in and make my point and then the thread ends. Either you guys hate to read or you cant argue against what i said (not saying i want you to).
 
Back
Top