• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

i5 750 to IB?

beklemmung

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
96
I currently have an i5 750 @ 3.67ghz and a 5850 modestly OCed. Next month I plan to either pick up a 6970 or a 7950, depending on prices and 7950 reviews (I can't/won't CF with another 5850). I game at 1920x1200. Even though IB is still a few months away, I'm trying to determine if my 750 will bottleneck my 6970/7950 or if it'll be enough to let me wait until Haswell in 2013. I can afford to build a new IB system but if I'm not going to see any real difference when gaming then I'll save my money and wait for Haswell.

Thanks in advance!
 
Wait for Haswell. Your system can easily make it another 18 months or so for gaming.
 
Your system should bottleneck neither of two cards. As for myself, I`m waiting for Haswell to hit the market before I upgrade.
 
+1 on wait for haswell, ivy bridge is just a die shrink, so we shouldn't see a huge performance increase over SB.
 
If i were you i'd wait for haswell, i'm currently waiting for IB-E, but may jump on them SB-E and then add a IB-E cpu down the road....decisions decisions....
 
Sorry probably noobish but what is so amazing about Haswell that everyone is recommending wait? I ask because i have the system shown in my sig (Socket 775) and am planning on upgrading. Either to Ivy-Bridge or SB-E. I havent fully figured out which is going to be best for gaming and their price points.

I bet i could squeeze another year out of my Q9550 but am really hankering for a brand new build. So whats so special about Haswell?
 
^It's an entirely new architecture, so it should yield major performance increases, like the change from Core 2 to Core i7. Ivy Bridge, on the other hand, is just a die shrink and will likely offer only modest improvements over Sandy Bridge.
 
if you cant wait...get sb-e right now, if you can wait a little get ivybridge, if you can wait a little more get ivybridge extreme, and if you can wait even longer get haswell.....there i think that sums it up
 
if you cant wait...get sb-e right now, if you can wait a little get ivybridge, if you can wait a little more get ivybridge extreme, and if you can wait even longer get haswell.....there i think that sums it up

Haha yes it does, however i am curious if one (SB-E / Ivy Bridge) then IB-E will be best when it comes to gaming. So i take it Haswell will be a completely new socket considering its a completely new architecture...that sucks for me, i just dont think i want to wait THAT long to upgrade.

Btw what is rumored/leaked Ivy Bridge release date?
 
I'm gonna echo what everyone else is saying, you're system is plenty good enough to stretch out until Haswell.

I don't want to be left out of the Haswell train, but can't hold out quite that long with my Q6600 but my next laptop will certainly be Haswell based. Very excited to see what kind of battery life will be capable with those.
 
Thanks for the responses everyone, I thought that my 750 was probably adequate, just have the itch to build something new after 2.5 years. I'll probably try to OC my 750 a bit more without burning it up before Haswell is out. :)
 
1. if you cant wait...get sb-e right now
2. if you can wait a little get ivybridge
3. if you can wait a little more get ivybridge extreme
4. if you can wait even longer get haswell

.....there i think that sums it up

If money/budget is a factor, I'm going to disagree. Since LGA2011 SB-E has almost no real-world advantages over LGA1155 performance-wise in a plethora of apps and games, it makes the added cost for the LGA2011 unredeemable and a bit hard to swallow. And who knows at this time if the gains that IB-E on LGA2011 provides will be leaps and bounds greater than SB-E, and by a MUCH larger margin than LGA1155 IB over SB? Sure, LGA2011 may seem to have a longer lifespan than 1155; but really, after SB-E/IB-E comes Haswell with yet another socket, so it doesn't matter if it's an LGA1155 or an LGA2011 platform transitioning to Haswell: the change to the new socket is mandatory, regardless. Meaning: both 1155 and 2011 are super-capable platforms and will remain so until Haswell comes along.

The only way I would recommend the higher cost of LGA2011 is if the 6C+HT capabilities are put to use in a manner where the time savings of productivity over a 4C or 4C+HT are justified, such as a business critical situation with things like CONSTANT image rendering or video conversion...or if money just isn't a factor and said owner just want the bragging rights.


Here's my list if budget/frugality is a factor:

1. Can't wait (now) = LGA1155 SB K series + Z68
2. Wait a little (Q1 2012) = LGA1155 IB K series + Z77
3. Wait a little longer (2013) = Haswell + Lynx Point
4. Wait a bit longer (2014) = Broadwell
5. Wait even longer (2015/2016) = Skylake/Skymont
 
Last edited:
If money/budget is a factor, I'm going to disagree. Since LGA2011 SB-E has almost no real-world advantages over LGA1155 performance-wise in a plethora of apps and games, it makes the added cost for the LGA2011 unredeemable and a bit hard to swallow. And who knows at this time if the gains that IB-E on LGA2011 provides will be leaps and bounds greater than SB-E, and by a MUCH larger margin than LGA1155 IB over SB? Sure, LGA2011 may seem to have a longer lifespan than 1155; but really, after SB-E/IB-E comes Haswell with yet another socket, so it doesn't matter if it's an LGA1155 or an LGA2011 platform transitioning to Haswell: the change to the new socket is mandatory, regardless. Meaning: both 1155 and 2011 are super-capable platforms and will remain so until Haswell comes along.

The only way I would recommend the higher cost of LGA2011 is if the 6C+HT capabilities are put to use in a manner where the time savings of productivity over a 4C or 4C+HT are justified, such as a business critical situation with things like CONSTANT image rendering or video conversion...or if money just isn't a factor and said owner just want the bragging rights.


Here's my list if budget/frugality is a factor:

1. Can't wait (now) = LGA1155 SB K series + Z68
2. Wait a little (Q1 2012) = LGA1155 IB K series + Z77
3. Wait a little longer (2013) = Haswell + Lynx Point
4. Wait a bit longer (2014) = Broadwell
5. Wait even longer (2015/2016) = Skylake/Skymont

Your list is more for the budget consumer IMO, except haswell and above which we have no info on other than names really. I'd still go my route if you got the money
 
Your list is more for the budget consumer IMO, except haswell and above which we have no info on other than names really. I'd still go my route if you got the money

Well, yeah. Exactly why I said that my list was for budget limitations or frugality purposes and that I'd only recommend LGA2011 if money was no object or bragging rights are to be had. :D :cool:


Not that there's a whole hell of a lot to brag about, unfortunately...
 
Interesting. So yet again, im wanting to upgrade and something amazingly better is down the road near enough to make me question building a new rig, but far enough to create a hundred doubts.

I wonder if what would be smarter is waiting until SB-E comes out soon, and if there is a price drop on anything (like SB-K) and their motherboards, take advantage and get a i7 2600K+Z68. Will be the best/cheapest option for gaming, im assuming SB-E will be its most expensive when just released. Then a year and half from now if Haswell is really all that and a bag of chips, i can sell my parts and buy Haswell.
Still have doubts though, i really wanted a PC that i could just keep for years and years and not upgrade, basically i wished haswell was coming out next month, so i could jump on that new architecture in a big way and stick with it for 4+ years.
Damn
 
^ If you can't wait, go SB-K + Z68 now. If you can wait a few months, get IB + Z77. Either one will do the job just fine until Haswell shows up in retail.
 
^ If you can't wait, go SB-K + Z68 now. If you can wait a few months, get IB + Z77. Either one will do the job just fine until Haswell shows up in retail.

I can deff wait a few months. Which do you think will have better resell-ability? I would think when Haswell comes out, the newer of the two (SB-K or IB) aka IB, would resell closest to what i paid considering...well its newer haha. You agree?
 
I can deff wait a few months. Which do you think will have better resell-ability? I would think when Haswell comes out, the newer of the two (SB-K or IB) aka IB, would resell closest to what i paid considering...well its newer haha. You agree?

I think any K series will, honestly. Unless IB blows away expectations and is truly 20% faster, which I kinda doubt.
 
Back
Top