i5 750 to 2500k

ban916

Weaksauce
Anyone go from a i5 750 to a 2500k? My i5 is a 4.2 ghz. Will I notice anything? Or should I go for an ssd.

i have a 2500k and i have only over clocked it to 4.0 at the moment. everything is just right. I dont see the point of over clocking it any higher than 4.2. unless you are playing wickedly CPU intensive games...SSD sounds like a good move to me.

Depends on what youre using your rig for. If youre using it for gaming and are running at a 1920x1080 or better, I doubt youd see any difference at all.

I had a Phenom II 940 X4 before I went to a 2500k now overclocked to 4.2 and if you are concerned about gaming I have noted little change. (Using a 5850) The only difference that I can really say I have noticed is it installed Windows 7 faster :p So with your i5 750 you should be plenty good.

i went from an i5 @3.6 to a 2500k @4.8 - and i can tell a difference. is it as drastic as going from a p4-3.0ghz to the i5, no - but it's worth it if you sell your old mobo/cpu/ram.

You went from an [email protected] GHz to a [email protected] GHz? Wouldn't the performance increase be because of the 1.2 GHz increase in speed you got from the upgrade. Ban916, you would probably get more gain by moving to a SSD drive than upgrading to a new cpu.

I went from a Q9650 at 4.2ghz to a 2500k at 5.0ghz and didnt notice much of a difference at all other than in BC2. Considering you already have an i5 id go for the SSD and hold off til Ivy Bridge.

I would definitely invest in an SSD first and then maybe upgrade your RAM to 8 gigs before I would worry about another CPU upgrade until there's a more noticeble difference in what your upgrading to.

Last edited:
What applications or games are running slow in your current system? I bet there is none....so no point in upgrading.

Considering the fact that Sandy Bridge, on average, is roughly 10-12% faster per clock than Nehalem and you`re already running your i5 750 at 4,2GHz, I`d say it`s not worth upgrading whatsoever. Get the SSD now and hold off until Ivy Bridge is released.

Back