i5 750 available at frys.com

Those are dual processor boards? I am confused.

http://www.provantage.com/asus-p7p55d~7ASUS1UU.htm

[EDIT] From the caption: This single image represents more than one product. Photo may not necessarily reflect this variant.[/EDIT]

[EDIT2] Here is a real pic: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=752 [/EDIT2]
yea i was confused at first to, but i saw that the board had a different model number on the PCB, so i assumed it was just a generic picture for the time being.

the search link i posted shows some other boards as well, theres like 5 gigabyte boards and another asus.

It says 3 memory channels, surely that is a mistake.

Whoa, whoa! If the new I7s are all going to be socket 1156, aren't there going to be a lot of angry 1366 motherboard owners who won't be able to upgrade?

Projected prices:

Core i7 870 Lynnfield Specifications:
Speed: 2.93 GHz
Cores: 4 (8 threads)
Cache Size: 8 MB
Memory controller: DDR3 1066/1333 MHz
Socket: LGA1156
Power TDP: 95 W
Price: $562

Core i7 860 Lynnfield Specifications:
Speed: 2.80 GHz
Cores: 4 (8 threads)
Price: $284

Core i5 750 Lynnfield Specifications:
Speed: 2.66 GHz
Cores: 4 (4 threads)
Price: $196

http://techiton.blogspot.com/2009/07/intel-core-i7-870-860-and-core-i5-750.html

If this is true, then I don't really see any reason not to go 1156 mobo + core i7 860. New chip value champ?

Whoa, whoa! If the new I7s are all going to be socket 1156, aren't there going to be a lot of angry 1366 motherboard owners who won't be able to upgrade?
umm, that doesnt mean the 1366 socket wont get new i7s, also the 1366 is the high end socket for intel and will be getting the 6 core gulftowns next year.

too many damn sockets.

I'll wait a year or so to get a new mobo, too many different ones coming out.

too many damn sockets.

I'll wait a year or so to get a new mobo, too many different ones coming out.

And in a year or so you'll find there will be Socket 775, Socket 1156, and Socket 1366, along with AM3 for AMD...

And in a year or so you'll find there will be Socket 775, Socket 1156, and Socket 1366, along with AM3 for AMD...

I'm thinking more along the lines of there being a "best" cpu by then, since you can't quite judge with all the new ones yet. Then i'll choose mobo accordingly.

I'm thinking more along the lines of there being a "best" cpu by then, since you can't quite judge with all the new ones yet.
The best CPUs are still the LGA1366 i7 chips, and will stay that way until the 6-core CPUs are released. It's pretty clear-cut that LGA1366 is the high-end platform and LGA1156 is the mid-range/mainstream platform.

What's up with those Gigabyte mobos on that page, they look like something from 2001 with the single pci-e and all those pci slots?!

I'm just wondering why you would spend the same amount as a i7 920 is going for. Microcenter has been running the 920's at $199 for over a month now. I couldnt be happier with mine.

I'm just wondering why you would spend the same amount as a i7 920 is going for. Microcenter has been running the 920's at $199 for over a month now. I couldnt be happier with mine.

Okay...

http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/

They have an AMAZING 22 locations. I've currently been in a huge debate what to upgrade to, because I currently am running an e6750 @ 3.2ghz and have recently started converting ~1.5tb of videos into compatible media. One 3gig file takes ~11 hours when it's at a high priority. If I'm doing anything else, then that goes upwards of 20.

Back to my original point...I've been debating on upgrading to the current i7 920, waiting for the new core i7 860, or simply buying a Q9550 and overclocking it.

The difference is that the i7 920, yes - it's $200 at microcenter. The cheapest I can get it on ebay is 260+. I can get a new i7 860 with a board I can UPGRADE on in the future (I'm not paying out the butt for the extreme processors) for about the same price.

THAT is why people don't just "go buy a i7 920 from microcenter for $200"

If you want to go buy one for me, I'll gladly pay you $200+shipping for it. Be my guest, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'd jump on the i5 had intel gave us a more cost effective way to get more than 8GBs of memory for the P55.The price of 4GB memory modules are not falling like they should.

I'd jump on the i5 had intel gave us a more cost effective way to get more than 8GBs of memory for the P55.The price of 4GB memory modules are not falling like they should.

they're not getting easier to produce as I understand it.

Okay...

They have an AMAZING 22 locations. I've currently been in a huge debate what to upgrade to, because I currently am running an e6750 @ 3.2ghz and have recently started converting ~1.5tb of videos into compatible media. One 3gig file takes ~11 hours when it's at a high priority. If I'm doing anything else, then that goes upwards of 20.

Back to my original point...I've been debating on upgrading to the current i7 920, waiting for the new core i7 860, or simply buying a Q9550 and overclocking it.

The difference is that the i7 920, yes - it's $200 at microcenter. The cheapest I can get it on ebay is 260+. I can get a new i7 860 with a board I can UPGRADE on in the future (I'm not paying out the butt for the extreme processors) for about the same price.

If you want to go buy one for me, I'll gladly pay you $200+shipping for it. Be my guest, I'd greatly appreciate it.
why would you wait for an i7-860 when its the same price, if not more, than the 920? x58 boards arent that expensive anymore and you can get a really good board for under $200.

also have you tried looking around the forums for a new i7 920? i bought mine on here for $225, i would think that you can do the same if not better. i saw a 920 BNIB, sell for $200 shipped on here not so long ago, just keep an eye on the FS forum.

i saw a board on an anandtech preview, and it had 6 dimm slots on a p55 board, they still ran in dual channel mode though.

EDIT: found the article

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=622

Those 3.6ghz i5 dual core with h/t look very tempting at $275 when they ship. Would make a killer gaming chip.

Has anyone found more stores where the I5 can be bought? It already appeared in multiple places in China

Who would buy an i5 for $205 when an i7 can be had for $200?

I would. I'd rather have a Phenom 2 or a i5 setup than an i7. Call me picky but the x58 motherboards that interest me are all like $250-$350. I can get a nice Ph2 board for $100-$170 and I'm assuming i5 will also fall into that price point. Both systems would be comparable to i7 in performance for the things I do and I'd be able to afford a nicer GPU and some SSD.

lastly.

MICRO CENTER DOES NOT COUNT

Okay...

I purchased a i7 920, and all the parts for a new build. I got all of these parts months ago, but if I were to buy now, these new chips are very enticing. The turbo multi on the 750s are higher than on the 920s, and these chips don't have HT, so they'll run cooler too. With regards to encoding video, a DVD (MPEG2) transcode on a fast raid 0 array (all work done on the same drive) clocked in at 1000FPS on a 920 at 4.0GHz with HT on. So if you're going to encode video, the nehalem architecture is great! The difference in usage patterns for me on an i7 is like when the first dual cores were first introduced. Less bogging down of the system, while multitasking. At $205 the 750 is a steal.

I'd use that saved money in getting an SSD to balance out the rig.

Last edited:
So if you're going to encode video, the nehalem architecture is great! The difference in usage patterns for me on an i7 is like when the first dual cores were first introduced. Less bogging down of the system, while multitasking. At $205 the 750 is a steal.

I'd use that saved money in getting an SSD to balance out the rig.

Pssst! The 750 does not have hyperthreading. That's why it's signficantly cheaper. The i7 920 does have hyperthreading. The 750's only advantage is a more aggressive turbo mode. The 920 will have triple channel memory and the 750 will have dual channel memory controller. In addition the 1366 platform can be upgraded to gulftown, 6 cores i9. The 1156 will be limited to quads and dual cores.

Back