• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i5-3570K Temps @ Stock

Cod

Gawd
Joined
Mar 21, 2003
Messages
642
I'm using the stock cooler with new Slip Stream case fans and wanted to get some opinions on some temps I received running an Intel Burn Test. I ran 15 passes on maximum with full RAM (8GB). The highest temp received was 85-degrees C on one of the cores. The others maxed out at 83-degrees C. Are these suitable temps for a stock cooler? I'm asking because I recently had to reseat the cooler after moving my PC. How much benefit should I expect to get from an aftermarket cooler? I was looking at getting a Noctua NH-L12, but wasn't sure if the $60 would be "well spent".
 
Seams to be a lot high. I'll give you my example, I got a 2500k with aftermarket Hyper 212+ push/pull. I got 20 degrees on my lowest temps at idle and 55 with prime OC'ed at 4.5 ghz. If you got money to spend, take the Noctua, you wont regret it if you plain to OC. You can take an Hyper 212 too, they are pretty cheap and do a great job.
 
Even some of the $30 "Tower" heatsink coolers will take you a long, long way.

You're getting up into the premium range of tower coolers.

Pay attention to the number of heat pipes and aluminum fins, and 120mm fan support.

Having the possibility of push-pull configuration is also very valuable.
 
Without ambient temperature it's kind of pointless...

That said, if you are around 23-25C then that sounds about right. Ivy gets much hotter than sandy, so again a pointless comparison there. (The 212 is a good cooler though, but less for ivy).

I run my 3770K at around 1.077V for stock, the auto put it at like 1.1 or something, so you can probably lower it even more (I think 0.9 might work, just play with it).
 
Sounds about right for a stock cooler and 15 passes of burn test. I usually see about 60-70c load temps on my 3570k with an H60 cooler. Idle temps are down around 20-25c.

An aftermarket cooler will defiantly help lower the temperature across the board. By how much, it's hard to say. You should be able to get some more life out of your Ivy Bridge with a nice cooler though. Any aftermarket cooler will help keep things cool when you want to push that processor a little bit further.
 
Thanks for the words y'all. Like xIronCrossx mentioned, I should have passed the ambient temps. I live in Hawaii and my house stays around 73-degrees F year round. Also, for those that talked about the Hyper 212+, sadly, I cannot use it since I'm limited to a height of 120mm due to the case. I should've also mentioned that I'm going for a very silent setup as well since this PC is in the living room hooked up to a HDTV. Looks like my next Newegg or Amazon order will include the NH-L12 unless I find one better soon...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top