i5-2550K - IB Sneaks Out @ MC?

PGHammer

2[H]4U
I got the latest version of the MicroCenter catalog today, and, as usual, drill-down to double-check on stocking on specific items. One that has, naturally, had me curious (since it's a drop-in swap), is, of course, the i5-version of Ivy Bridge - specifically, the i5-2550K. If MicroCenter's pricing and stock is believable, they have them in stock - and now - and for a mere $20 above the Sandy Bridge part.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384721

The question therefore begs - despite my not looking for tall overclocks - due to the very small price difference, would IB make more sense than Sandy Bridge?

Ivy Bridge still hasn't been released, it is due in April.
What I would want to know is why on earth someone would pay more for less.

And this:

tumblrlvejq0yw7g1qc9up6.png

Wow all I can say is wow. I have heard a number of people saying that they don't need the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor). That they think even having it on the processor makes it harder to overclock so now we release a processor to help easy up the demand for the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K that runs 100MHz faster and has the IGP deabled and you guys are complaining about it. It is simple if you want the IGP stay with the Intel Core i5-2500K and if you dont want it go with the Intel Core i5-2550K.

Also I think that you will find that the TDP (Thermal Design Power) for the Intel Core i5-2550K is misstated. On our Intel Xeon® E3s with the disabled IGP they have a TDP of 80w. http://ark.intel.com/compare/52273,52210,65647

Wow all I can say is wow. I have heard a number of people saying that they don't need the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor). That they think even having it on the processor makes it harder to overclock so now we release a processor to help easy up the demand for the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K that runs 100MHz faster and has the IGP deabled and you guys are complaining about it. It is simple if you want the IGP stay with the Intel Core i5-2500K and if you dont want it go with the Intel Core i5-2550K.

Also I think that you will find that the TDP (Thermal Design Power) for the Intel Core i5-2550K is misstated. On our Intel Xeon® E3s with the disabled IGP they have a TDP of 80w. http://ark.intel.com/compare/52273,52210,65647

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!! Some people just like bitching..;)

I'd NEVER consider using IGP anyways, and with the most likely reduced TDP (80W), one would expect better OC-ing.... Haven't seen anybody test the 2550k yet though....

The IGP is still physically present just permanently disabled correct?

If so is there any technical advantage to having it permanently disabled VS having it disabled in the normal way?

so does it actually help overclocking? Or have you just heard users state the think that is the case? And what is the real tdp? You're actually an intel rep?

People are bitching because they don't want to pay extra for a crippled chip.
I don't think this is too hard to understand. Who cares about the extra 100 Mhz when it's an unlocked chip which will be overclocked by everyone who buys it?

who is complaining? I see only one person with anything close to a complaint and it's more of a question

Am I like the only person with a SB that uses the IGP to power a second monitor and take the load off my main video card?? I think its great, lol.

I know a lot of people that are running 2 or 3 monitors with 1 off the IGP (Integraded Graphics on Processor). Personally I like to have the IGP on my processor for backup graphics and for trouble shooting issues so I would continue to select the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K over the Intel Core i5-2550K. I do know that there are people out there who will be very happy to get the Intel Core i5-2550K because they are not happy with the IGP at all.

The majority of us does not understand the thought behind the pricing on the 2550k. Would the intel rep care to elaborate on why it is priced higher than the 2500k when it isn't more expensive to produce?

The majority of us does not understand the thought behind the pricing on the 2550k. Would the intel rep care to elaborate on why it is priced higher than the 2500k when it isn't more expensive to produce?

He just explained it.

The 2550K has the potential to OC further without the IGP, just as people have speculated for the last year. Since most enthusiasts are using discrete graphics anyway, the idea of a 2500K that has more headroom at the expense of the unused IGP is awesome.

As for the pricing... since when has production cost had any meaningful impact on consumer prices? It's called supply and demand, not Intel's Politburo For The Peoples Production of Pentiums. This chip is marketed at enthusiasts, ergo it has a price geared towards enthusiasts.

I'd rather have this than a 2500k. Sounds cool and fast. Still happy with my i5-2500k though.

He just explained it.

The 2550K has the potential to OC further without the IGP, just as people have speculated for the last year. Since most enthusiasts are using discrete graphics anyway, the idea of a 2500K that has more headroom at the expense of the unused IGP is awesome.

As for the pricing... since when has production cost had any meaningful impact on consumer prices? It's called supply and demand, not Intel's Politburo For The Peoples Production of Pentiums. This chip is marketed at enthusiasts, ergo it has a price geared towards enthusiasts.

It doesn't have anymore headroom for Overclocking...that is just pure BS marketing. Stop believing everything on the Internet. How can you argue that it has potential? Every chip is different when you OC it so that price bump is meaningless. It's like saying this bucket of water "has the potential" of holding more water than the one without a handle...the IGP is normally switched off when enabling a discrete card as most tend to do it that way, so there is no significant OC gain either way.

It doesn't have anymore headroom for Overclocking...that is just pure BS marketing. Stop believing everything on the Internet. How can you argue that it has potential? Every chip is different when you OC it so that price bump is meaningless. It's like saying this bucket of water "has the potential" of holding more water than the one without a handle...the IGP is normally switched off when enabling a discrete card as most tend to do it that way, so there is no significant OC gain either way.
It is not marketing bs. Reread what Intel Enthusiast said
"Wow all I can say is wow. I have heard a number of people saying that they don't need the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor). That they think even having it on the processor makes it harder to overclock so now we release a processor to help easy up," [in the eyes of those who have previously stated opinion] "the demand for the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K that runs 100MHz faster and has the IGP deabled and you guys are complaining about it. It is simple if you want the IGP stay with the Intel Core i5-2500K and if you dont want it go with the Intel Core i5-2550K."

I would give up my 2500k any day for the 2550k. I wouldn't care too much to overclock it either. Although I would like to know if they REALLY overclock any further than the normal 2500k. Most people that have an 2500k have a dedicated GPU.

I would give up my 2500k any day for the 2550k. I wouldn't care too much to overclock it either. Although I would like to know if they REALLY overclock any further than the normal 2500k. Most people that have an 2500k have a dedicated GPU.

I really don't get the mentality behind this. The 2550k is the 2500k with a higher default multiplier and the graphics portion permanently disabled. It's still the same chip. If anything, it MIGHT be better binned, like the 2700k vs 2600k, but that's about it. And with the 2700k, they kept the IGP.

The IGP is still physically present just permanently disabled correct?

If so is there any technical advantage to having it permanently disabled VS having it disabled in the normal way?

Most likely Intel lasered off the IGP portion, so there is NO voltage/amperage leakage is that part.

for a normal 2500k with IGP, but you don't use the IGP at all (either P67 board, or Z68/H67/H61 board with discreet card), there might still be SOME voltage going to the IGP portion of the chip... but i doubt its a lot

It is not marketing bs. Reread what Intel Enthusiast said
"Wow all I can say is wow. I have heard a number of people saying that they don't need the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor). That they think even having it on the processor makes it harder to overclock so now we release a processor to help easy up," [in the eyes of those who have previously stated opinion] "the demand for the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K that runs 100MHz faster and has the IGP deabled and you guys are complaining about it. It is simple if you want the IGP stay with the Intel Core i5-2500K and if you dont want it go with the Intel Core i5-2550K."

You put in RED "I have heard.." and "they think"
Translation: rumor and speculation

Facts? Proof? Benchmark results? Nope, none.

Until we see some real results there is no proof that these 2550k cpus are better at overclocking than the 2500k.
Intel is charging more for these 2550k cpus so they feel they are better and worth more.
I can understand some calling it marketing bs until proven otherwise. This is simple logic.

Until we see some real results there is no proof that these 2550k cpus are better at overclocking than the 2500k.
Intel is charging more for these 2550k cpus so they feel they are better and worth more.
I can understand some calling it marketing bs until proven otherwise. This is simple logic.

1) People think chips with a disbled IGP have the potential to OC better than IGP-enabled chips.

2) Intel obliges and releases IGP-disabled chips, while simultaneously finding a profitable way to dispose of chips with defective IGP's.

What part of this is hard to understand? And why are you bitching at the lack of benchmarks when the chip was literally JUST made available at retail outlets a couple days ago?

No one is hyping up this processor... not even Intel. Why are you acting like theres some barrage of FUD and hype surrounding this release when there isn't any? Seriously, it's like you're just desperate for controversy.

Ivy Bridge still hasn't been released, it is due in April.
What I would want to know is why on earth someone would pay more for less.

It is clocked 100mhz higher.

You lose quicksync and you gain NOTHING.

This is a total waste until the price is atleast $20 lower than the 2500K.

Then DON'T BUY IT, and move on.

/epic facepalm.

But... But... I NEED to complain about something that affects me in no way, at all, what so ever.

I don't pretend to be some modsquad, but this is a forum for exchanging thoughts and experiences. I think he is entitled to write why he does not think the 2550k is worth buying. I think he has a valid point, and at least he sticks to the topic instead of just bashing other members.

I might just add, that I too have a hard time understanding the 2550k's price point - especially here in Europe. The price here seems way too close to the 2600k.

lol I have a P67 chipset and 2500k.

I dont use/have quicksync or IGP options.

Not why the 2550k is more money either?

this chip makes tons of sense at a way lower price point. It would be the ultimate enthusiast chip.

I'd NEVER consider using IGP anyways, and with the most likely reduced TDP (80W), one would expect better OC-ing.... Haven't seen anybody test the 2550k yet though....

Pretty sure if you have 2500k and not using IGP, the TDP would be pretty much the same as 2550k. But at least with 2500k you have an option to use IGP in case your dedicated card goes haywire...

2550k has one unproven potential benefit of higher overclocks - but its higher cost completely negates it.

I think marylandman's point was that "rumor and speculation" != "marketing bs." In other words, some people think it, but Intel isn't marketing it this way.

I am thinking about getting this chip. Its $10 bucks more than the 2500k. I just bought a bulldozer and I really think it pulls a good vacuum.
However the idea of running a 2cd monitor off of it sounds cool. But isn't that why I paid almost $300 for a 6950 that will run like a 6970? My video card should handle 3 monitors without bogging down.

I don't understand the price point argument for intel making more money for less of a chip. Its $10 more than the 2500k and its not like they have discontinued the 2500k so if you want that one you can still get it. :confused:

Intel wants you to spend your money on things you already own. Do you have a 2500K on a P67 mobo, then you have a 2550K. Seriously, this was a marketing guy's idea? Think about it:

Scientist: "What should we do with the chips that have broken IGPs? Throw them out?"
Marketing: "Sell it!"
Scientist: "How?"
Marketing: "Give it a new name. Tell everyone this broken IGP is a 'diabled feature' (one that the end user can never turn on). Sell it for $10 more".

Intel wants you to spend your money on things you already own. Do you have a 2500K on a P67 mobo, then you have a 2550K. Seriously, this was a marketing guy's idea? Think about it:

Scientist: "What should we do with the chips that have broken IGPs? Throw them out?"
Marketing: "Sell it!"
Scientist: "How?"
Marketing: "Give it a new name. Tell everyone this broken IGP is a 'diabled feature' (one that the end user can never turn on). Sell it for $10 more".

Totally this.

Back