• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I5 2500K

Rajincajun

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
99
I'm ordering the i5 today. Looking at NewEgg for $215. What mother board would be a good match for the CPU being the CPU is a K and is unlocked what wold you guys run?

Also keep in mind a MoBo that will allow me to run 2 Video cards if I want... I was looking at the ATI and Nvidia, Ati has the Dual GPU and the nvidia has the 3gig vid card. Not sure which one I should go wit.
 
I like these two boards, have used both
msi p67a-g43 (p67a-g45 has firewire if you need it)
msi z68ma-g45

SLI and Crossfire supported on both (8x,8x)
both boards get the cpu to 4.9ghz (cpu's limit)
for memory gskill ripjaws and gskill value as well as corsair xms/vengenance work without any problems (standard 1333 or 1600mhz ram, never tried the faster stuff as it make no real world difference)
 
I like these two boards, have used both
msi p67a-g43 (p67a-g45 has firewire if you need it)
msi z68ma-g45

SLI and Crossfire supported on both (8x,8x)
both boards get the cpu to 4.9ghz (cpu's limit)
for memory gskill ripjaws and gskill value as well as corsair xms/vengenance work without any problems (standard 1333 or 1600mhz ram, never tried the faster stuff as it make no real world difference)

Thanks Spuds I'll look them over.
 
to give ya an idea of what the lower end msi board can do and since anyone can just make up numbers, here's a 50 multiplier on a 2500k .. without any load I can set the multiplier to 54 (5.4ghz) in MSI's control center, but any load and it bluescreens (more voltage could prob get it up, but not trying it)



(didn't try it long, I don't like the voltage that high)
 
Cooling / Air flow
Corsiar H70 with the 120mm stock fans
Thermaltake v6 case
3 120mm intake fans (top sata dock moved upwards by putting in a mobo standoff under it to fit them in front and use a blu-ray drive)
240mm top exhaust in the top rear (stock)
120mm side intake to give the video cards more airflow
All fans filtered

Not sure on stability @5ghz, I usually run it at 4.8 @ 1.45v (100% stable there)
Kicks out some heat for sure with the Toxic 6950's (unlocked) and the cpu pegged (BF3 beta @ 1920/1200), but it all exhausts out the back / top of the case
 
Cooling / Air flow
Corsiar H70 with the 120mm stock fans
Thermaltake v6 case
3 120mm intake fans (top sata dock moved upwards by putting in a mobo standoff under it to fit them in front and use a blu-ray drive)
240mm top exhaust in the top rear (stock)
120mm side intake to give the video cards more airflow
All fans filtered

Not sure on stability @5ghz, I usually run it at 4.8 @ 1.45v (100% stable there)
Kicks out some heat for sure with the Toxic 6950's (unlocked) and the cpu pegged (BF3 beta @ 1920/1200), but it all exhausts out the back / top of the case


What type of frame rate you getting in BF3?
 
With one card it stayed above 45
crossfired 70+ with everything set to high (ultra wasn't available in beta)

2x Sapphire Toxic 6950's 2gb (crossfire), pretty much 6970's in every aspect ([H] has a review of them)

The rear exit of the cards was a huge selling point as the case is packed, this image was when it had the 460's in there, the 6950's are huge in comparison
 
I'm thinking about running this MoBo MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 specially for future upgrades. I'm looking at the PCIe 3.0, will I be able to run the 6950 or the 450's in them slots?
 
WOW lol I can't even see the 6950 fitting in there.
I'll have to take an updated image the next time I open it up, the side fan is hardwired and has to be unscrewed from the sidepanel to open the case (ran out of 3pin fan adapters when I was putting it in) .. to get to the drives

I added two vantec ez-docks to the very bottom, inset to allow the fan to fit in the front. I've got another dock to put in, but will have to re-route some items so i can get it in there (the docks's are very long) they keep the drives nice and cool

These are the docks
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...ard_Drive_Cooler_-_Blue_LCD_MRK-200ST-BK.html

So it's actually way more packed now :D
 
I'm thinking about running this MoBo MSI Z68A-GD65 G3 specially for future upgrades. I'm looking at the PCIe 3.0, will I be able to run the 6950 or the 450's in them slots?
Yup, they will work as PCIe 2.0 as well, a buddy at work has the B3 revision of that board (before the updated PCIe slots), works great with no problems. [H] has a review of that board as well, the UEFI bios takes some getting used to, but it's easy enough to figure out.
 
Yup, they will work as PCIe 2.0 as well, a buddy at work has the B3 revision of that board (before the updated PCIe slots), works great with no problems. [H] has a review of that board as well, the UEFI bios takes some getting used to, but it's easy enough to figure out.

I read the [H] review that's shy I'm making the plunge.

Thanks Spud for all your help bro, you mind if I hit you up again for more questions if I need too?
 
I read the [H] review that's shy I'm making the plunge.

Thanks Spud for all your help bro, you mind if I hit you up again for more questions if I need too?

No problem, feel free to. There's lots of great information in these forums as well, that's why [H] is the place for real answers and reviews, and why i visit here :D
 
Yeah man no doubt about that. It's the reason why I'm going with the setup I'm running. Now just need for the SSD to drop in price and I'll be happy.
 
I was looking at it but it's a Small Form factor not sure if that will be a good choice for my setup.
 
Back
Top