i5-2500k drastically underclocking itself

Valicious

n00b
I am having a bit of an issue...

I just upgraded my computer with a PNY SSD I got from Best Buy, and the following mobo and cpu I bought off a forum member.
i5-2500k:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582

I started to notice something was wrong when my computer was taking 30-45 seconds to open a new browser tab or transfer a 2MB file. I decided to run some tests.

CPU-Z benchmarking tool: slight issue....
VN8eAJY.png

Task Manager:
Rd09aDB.png

The BIOS lists the correct speeds, but the cpu is not running at that. Any attempt to overclock just cycles the boot process. (starts up for 2-3 seconds, restarts, repeats until I do a CMOS clear.)

I'd run CrystalDisk, but that won't even load.

Please help here....

Looks liker you have the most aggressive power saving features enable. This will drop both voltage and the multiplier down which on some boards will cause problems when trying to O/C. I would read up on your mobo manual to see how to disable it. But even in this state, normal desktop my system is still responsive if it was running at its full O/C speed of 4.2GHZ or its under clocked speed of 1600MHZ. I have a 2500K as well.

I am using that motherboard, you can overclock and still have some power features enabled.

Go into Green Power in the BIOS and set it up like this if it isn't:

EuP 2013 = enabled
Phase control = Intel SVID
LED control = Auto
C1E support = Disabled
C states = enabled
C state limit = auto

Also note there are two completely different BIOS types for the board. One supports Ivy Bridge and the other one doesn't. The Ivy Bridge BIOS sucks a fat one for Sandy Bridge and can't overclock my 2500K at all, your board could have the Ivy Bridge BIOS. You need to be using a 1.x BIOS and not a 5.x BIOS.

Last edited:
Yeah....5.x is what's on there. There's no way to go back to 1.x without a VERY high chance of bricking my motherboard. I guess I'm out of a computer until I can afford to buy a new board or ivybridge cpu.
Turns out the person didn't use (much at all thermal paste) and didn't even mount it right. It was barely touching the mobo.

Last edited:
It looks like your CPU was overheating and throttling. If a heatsink is not mounted properly, the CPU will drop down to 800 MHz in CPU-Z and it will be stuck there. The core temperature was probably pegged at 98C. Download CPUID HWMonitor or a similar program and see what temps your CPU is at. Thermal paste is not optional.

Edit - Less than 800 MHz in the Task Manager is a sign that the CPU was doing some Clock Modulation throttling. This is an aggressive type of throttling which happens when a CPU heatsink is not doing its job.

Yeah....5.x is what's on there. There's no way to go back to 1.x without a VERY high chance of bricking my motherboard. I guess I'm out of a computer until I can afford to buy a new board or ivybridge cpu.
Turns out the person didn't use (much at all thermal paste) and didn't even mount it right. It was barely touching the mobo.

Well so clean the HSF and CPU and re-apply a decent thermal paste and see what happens?

It was mailed to you with the heatsink on and everything arrived in one piece? You lucked out! Another vote for remounting and repasting the heatsink. I betcha it works fine after that. You might not be able to overclock well on account of the 5.x BIOS, but even a stock Sandy Bridge is still quick.

I've gone to 5.x and back multiple times (to try the different versions of 5.x). Haven't bricked anything, you just need to follow the directions closely. Also that MSI forum is probably one of the most risk adverse forums I've ever seen (if you were getting some info from there). They make it seem like flashing a BIOS has like a 50% chance of bricking a board. I've probably flashed my board 15 times total with no issues.

I am using that motherboard, you can overclock and still have some power features enabled.

Go into Green Power in the BIOS and set it up like this if it isn't:

EuP 2013 = enabled
Phase control = Intel SVID
LED control = Auto
C1E support = Disabled
C states = enabled
C state limit = auto

I would suggest you enable C1E. It will reduce power consumption while not affecting your top-end performance.

Check your CPU temps and ensure that the system isn't throttling as a response to too much heat.

Start ruling out possibilities 1 by 1. Reseat the heatsink with new TIM (should have been done regardless, never utilize someone elses mount/TIM). If that does not fix, I would disable all C states/C1E and see if that fixes your throttling as well as check on Windows PM settings.

We slapped some Artic Silver 5 on there, fixed the mounting issues, and now it's working like a champ. I haven't tried overclocking it yet, but soon.

Can anyone link me to instructions on flashing back to 1.x BIOS?

Back