• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I5 2400 38 x?

StupidDream

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
64
I have been reading that the I5 2400 is capable of A 38x multiplier? I only ask because I recently acquired four of them. And I’m wondering if it would be worth it to toss one in my Asus p8z77-v lk?

Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense since they are a 3.1 GHz processor. And should do about 3.5 GHz on turbo boost. But several people have suggested that they can do 38X multiplier for a total of 3800 MHz. Some have even suggested between 3.9 and 4 GHz or even higher with a bclk increase

This is weird to me... I would think they are a 31x and 35x on turbo

Is this his bull crap?
 
Last edited:
It is true, up to haswell all intel CPUs had a free 4x multiplier bins, the 2400 have a turbo speed up to 3400mhz single thread and 3200mhz all cores load, so with the extra free multiplier it will reach 3800mhz single thread and 3500mhz all cores loaded. Don't touch the bclk, it affect everything else including pcie and other things that can cause severe instabilities.
 
It is true, up to haswell all intel CPUs had a free 4x multiplier bins, the 2400 have a turbo speed up to 3400mhz single thread and 3200mhz all cores load, so with the extra free multiplier it will reach 3800mhz single thread and 3500mhz all cores loaded. Don't touch the bclk, it affect everything else including pcie and other things that can cause severe instabilities.

OK so the +4 BIN is In addition to the turbo function
 
So I am guessing that the +4 BIN is only for the i5 and i7 not the e3-1220 Xeons?

Well I pulled my e3-1220 v2 and dropped in an i5 2400... now the settings are there... can access the +4 BIN... it will hit 3.8GHz easy... but under load drops to 3.6GHz. But I thought I could lock turbo in place to hold it at 3.8GHz
 
Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge non-K CPUs from the i5 and i7 series can be overclocked with an additional +4 to their turbo multipliers. This does not work with the corresponding Xeon E3 processors. The i5-2400 runs at 3.1 GHz and has the following additional turbo boost steps: 1/2/2/3 (for load on 4, 3, 2 and 1 core). This means it will run at 3.2 GHz when all four cores are loaded, and with 3.4 GHz when only one core is utilized. Adding +4 to these turbo boost steps gives you 5/6/6/7, which translates into 3.6 GHz when all four cores are loaded, and 3.8 GHz when only one core is utilized.
 
Back
Top