i3 Processor - Slow Results, Which Should I Upgrade

Tonight i went to make a video... and it seemed to work fine. Sooo the video is no help...

All my movies are stored on the 1TB drive.

58.3GB free of 74.4GB hd... thats my main OS hard drive.

I originally had this system (both drives) in an Atom pc i built... i upgraded the motherboard/memory/cpu and thats when i started noticing things... see i never really used the system when i had it, as i only used it for a few days then the system went into storage for 2 months while our new office was under way. in that time i upgraded it to an i3/motherboard/memory and this is really the first time since that im using it.

the machine seems to work fine, as i said, its only in media center... even when i load media center, the logo doesnt have the nice transitions, the music plays and the logo is on the screen, then its in media center...

maybe i really need a video card? since media center is kinda video intensive and what not? im usin the onboard micro atx video card, and i dont even know what kinda chipset it is, it doesnt say on the newegg site at all... so who knows what it is.

Not that this is a place to look at performance, but the windows score shows the following:

6.9 (processor)
5.5 (ram)
4.3 (graphics)
5.2 (gaming graphics)
5.8 (hard disk)

so im reallly low on graphics... my other boxes are above 7

Actually, the Windows Experience Index scores are pretty useless. In fact, it underestimates the potential graphics performance while it overestimates the potential hard drive performance.

And that 80GB SATA hard drive that's your main system drive might have been of a two-generation-old design (with a single 160GB platter and one head, leaving one side of the platter unused) - but you simply have it about two-thirds full (and that includes all of the software, programs and videos taking up all that space). In other words, you simply need a larger hard drive (which will likely also be of a newer and faster design).

And as Danny noted, if you're using the motherboard's VGA, DVI or HDMI out, the i3 processor has its own built-in Intel HD graphics processor which is used in conjunction with the VGA/DVI/HDMI ports on a compatible motherboard.

And in my experience no system with 2GB of RAM will score higher than 5.5 in the WEI under Windows 7. You need more than that to score higher on that portion of the test. For example, on my Q9450's Gigabyte motherboard, when I bumped up the memory from 2GB to 4GB, the WEI score jumped from 5.5 to 7.2.

Last edited:
I know its useless, still nice for a quick comparrison..
i'll try the hd replacement tomorrow as a starter, and i'll go from there.

WD Blue or AV Green drive???

Ive been using hte AV drives a lot lately (mainly DVR's and rackmount systems) and so far, havnt had one fail on me yet. Then again, havnt had a WD green drive in the 250gb size fail either. Its usually the 1GB green that have failed in the past, but so far no AV drives have failed on me

Back