• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

i3-540 running super hot?

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
12,372
I assembled my web server (see sig) a couple days ago, so the AS5 may not be completely cured yet. I am not overclocking it, and have no plans to. The first time I powered it on, BIOS showed it over 100C! I couldn't believe it. But it still runs that hot. I'm using the stock heatsink, and its fan is revved up trying to cool this thing.

I scrubbed the gunky thermal paste from the heatsink with Isopropyl and Q-Tips for a good five, six minutes. Then I dabbed a bit of AS5, about the size of two grains or rice, maybe less.

BIOS shows the core temp as 103C. Is this normal?
 
That is not normal at all. Either the heatsink is not seating/contacting properly or the BIOS is reading the temp wrong.
 
I think 3 possibilities, a bad heatsink mount, bios is incorrect or the board is not fully supporting your new processor, try reseatting the hsf and flashing board to latest version, and about the artic silver cure time bullshit, it only drops a couple of degrees tops.
 
Weird. The heatsink's spring clips must've popped up somehow and I didn't notice. First time really using a stock heatsink though. I made sure the clips were tight and secure. Core temp now around 33C. What a difference actual contact makes.
 
Back
Top