i2600 or i2600k for overclock?

Unfortunately it's really not a luck issue. Locked processors only have very limited multipliers to work with and you can only make tiny adjustments to the BCLK.

Though if you are looking to upgrade to Sandy Bridge and the 2600k is just a bit out of reach price wise, you might look into the 2500k. The main thing it lacks compared to the 2600k is hyper-threading, but it performs the same as the 2600k in games when at the same clocks since hyper-threading doesn't really come into play for gaming. A 2500k with a decent overclock would certainly be faster than a multiplier limited 2600, and cheaper too.

The non k version 2600 will not be able to overclock very high at all due to the low 100mhz fsb which can only be moved up a few mhz. If you want to overclock on 1155 socket you must get a 2500k or 2600k. Those are the only current 1155 sandybridge cpus that support it.

I like all the people that buy the K cpu, and run them stock! (newegg reviews)

k has the better hd3000 graphics, i would run one stock.... for about 5 minuites

Very limited over locking on the non k. Grab the 2600k.

You need the K version because it comes with an unlocked multiplier. You won't get past about 4.1ghz with the non-K variant.

The non k version 2600 will not be able to overclock very high at all due to the low 100mhz fsb which can only be moved up a few mhz. If you want to overclock on 1155 socket you must get a 2500k or 2600k. Those are the only current 1155 sandybridge cpus that support it.

The bus is the same on the 2500, 2500K,2600 and the 2600K........but it makes no difference since you do not overclock by raising the bus, you overclock by raising the multiplier...

the non K chips have a locked multiplier, so you need a 2500K or a 2600K if you want to do any real overclocking

The bus is the same on the 2500, 2500K,2600 and the 2600K........but it makes no difference since you do not overclock by raising the bus, you overclock by raising the multiplier...

the non K chips have a locked multiplier, so you need a 2500K or a 2600K if you want to do any real overclocking

Uhh what? Yes if you want to overclock a non k chip you must raise the BCLK (fsb) which is very limited. To gain any decent overclock yes you must buy a k version and up the unlocked multiplier.

Locked and unlocked is the difference. K series us unlocked. K series will let you overclock. Close thread.

Actually, the non-K chips that have Turbo Boost are limited unlocked, not fully locked. With the i7-2600, the OP can set the single-core multiplier up to 42x - and then, all of the other multi-core multipliers also go up by the same number of steps as the single-core multiplier setting (in this case, up to a maximum clock speed of 3.9GHz with all four cores in use). The non-K chips do not allow the user to set the multi-core multiplier independently of the single-core multiplier like the K chips do.

2600K all the way. I am running mine at 4.4 @ 1.3v and it's just smokin' fast. I'm rendering 1:1 previews in Lightroom, and extracting files and syncing iTunes to my iPhone and browsing 9 tabs, and I'm still not maxing out.

Uhh what? Yes if you want to overclock a non k chip you must raise the BCLK (fsb) which is very limited. To gain any decent overclock yes you must buy a k version and up the unlocked multiplier.

BCLK and FSB are not the same thing...

and you do not raise the bus on a SB chip....its useless, and you gain nothing .
so again, you do not overclock with the bus on these chips...you overclock with the multiplier...

Here are the differences between the Intel® Core™ i7-2600 and the Intel Core i7-2600K:
Intel Core i7-2600
-Support for TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) a business level virus protect feature.
-Support for VT-d (Virtualization with directed I/O) this feature along with a board that supports it will give you the ability to assign hardware (NIC or other hardware) to VMs.
-Intel HD 2000 Graphics
Intel Core i7-2600K
-Unlocked Multiplier (allows easy overclocking)
-Intel HD 3000 graphics
Both of these processors are quad cores with hyper-threading (4c/8t).

Actually, the non-K chips that have Turbo Boost are limited unlocked, not fully locked. With the i7-2600, the OP can set the single-core multiplier up to 42x - and then, all of the other multi-core multipliers also go up by the same number of steps as the single-core multiplier setting (in this case, up to a maximum clock speed of 3.9GHz with all four cores in use). The non-K chips do not allow the user to set the multi-core multiplier independently of the single-core multiplier like the K chips do.

I am not an overclocker, but I would think having a non k cpu with having all four of it's cores running at 3.9ghz is still pretty darn good if you needed to save some money. It's still overclocked, just not as high as the k version can do.

BCLK and FSB are not the same thing...

and you do not raise the bus on a SB chip....its useless, and you gain nothing .
so again, you do not overclock with the bus on these chips...you overclock with the multiplier...

I am aware that you need to use the multiplier. I have a 2500k running just fine 4.8ghz.

Last edited:
WRONG the 2600K is an 8 Core!

Okay lol ... haha Get a 2500K cheaper, overclocks to hell and back, doesnt have HT but thats not a big stink for games anyways.

And guess what .... the 2500K plays crysis!

Back