I would like to overclock my new system build!

Chams

Gawd
System:

Intel e8400
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
OCZ 4GB RAM
OCZ 600W PSU
Seagate 250GB HDD
ATI 4850 Video Card
Creative X-Fi
Antec Three Hundred Case
Xigmatek s1283 cooler

What a fun and interesting experience this build was. I started out by laying the motherboard flat and then installed the CPU making sure that it was orientated the right way careful not to touch the top. After I was sure it was situated correctly, I pushed the latch down to secure it into place, great done. Then I was going to lay down the Arctic Silver 5 but I thought I should first assemble the CPU cooler so it's ready to go so that way particles and debris aren't falling on the CPU as I put it together. I read that even a hair could greatly affect the performance.

Next I put together the CPU cooler. I broke out the manual and assembled the little pieces then did a dry fit. The biggest problem I encountered was getting the bracket to secure properly. I had to examine closely how the pin mechanism worked. I felt like I was doing an operation at one point. Now I felt confident, onto the AS5 application. I put a small pea sized amount of AS5 on top of the CPU and spread a thin even layer across the CPU then set the cooler on and secured into place. Once I had that completed I installed the RAM which was quick and simple. Next, I fit the motherboard and components into the case and secured it properly.

Then broke out the manual to find out where the pwr, reset, HDD led, front usb, audio go in what position. Everything good so far, then I stripped the hard drive, sound card and video card from my old PC and installed it. The biggest problem I encountered and was almost a show stopper was the final ATX 12v power connector to the CPU. It wouldn't reach! I thought I was doomed, but I didn't give up. I had to take out the video card and sound card and route the cable underneath.

Good thing I had my trusty multitool with me so I could so ever precisely connect the Power to the CPU as the CPU cooler was in the way and I didn't have much room to maneuver. After some careful prodding I finally got it in and placed the video card and sound card back into position. Now it was show time! I plugged all the peripherals into the back of the PC, hit the power button and it sprang to life. Everything worked perfectly!

Now it's on to overclocking, I've never overclocked my PC before but I have read that people are getting good OC's with this chip (E0 stepping) which is one reason why I bought it. Now I just need a little guidance as to where to start and what OC's I should shoot for, thanks.

your parts seem good and you are all set to overclock. I think you could hit 4ghz, no problem.

there are many guides and stickies, but your mostly going to need to read those documents to get an idea how to overclock your chip.

Google search

E8400 review

and most of the reviews will detail how they overclocked, and what you can expect.

GL.

Reading this guide (which is what I read) will get you 90% of the way there. It is a pretty extensive guide.

Read this guide (P45 is not much different than the P35 & P965 with regards to OC). This guide is specific to OC'ing on Gigabyte MoBo's and is what I used to get my current OC.

Back