• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

I Would Like to Host a UT2004 Server

jabronidan

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
322
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, didn't really know where I should put this.

I will be building a new computer in a few months and I am thinking of what to do with my current computer. Unfortunately I have a Dell but I can get Dell Parts cheap so I can upgrade this and maybe it will be good enough to run a Ut2004 server (for the mod Deathball.) I upgraded my verizon online, the download speed is 3.0mbps and the upload is 384kbps. Well I know this was plenty for Half-Life but I'm not sure about UT2004. I was told that this won't be able to handle more then 4 people, is that true? Sorry, don't know much about upload speeds and servers.

The specs of my dell-
P4 1.7ghz
256mb of ram (yeah I know, I need to upgrade that badly if I want to host)
GeForce 3 Ti 200 (I don't believe video card affects server at all, but I don't know much about servers anyway)


Thanks.
 
Might be able to handle about 6-8 players if you had a powerful machine. With that machine, I would say 4 would be your max. Servers need lots of RAM, fast CPUs, and fast HDs. Hell, it could run on a 2mb voodoo for all it cares. :p
 
What if I was creating a server for 4-5 people on a local lan. Do you think I could get by with a 733mhz Pentium 3 with 1gb of ram on a gigibit network?
 
Back
Top