I would appreciate a little advice/help.

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
Ok so I'm looking at going with a water cooling for my PC and I'm reading up on all these parts, kits and etc and I'm really confused on what's the best for performance, price and how long the system will last me.

Basically I'd like my entire rig to be water cooled, from the Processor all the way down to the chipset on my motherboard. I don't really need the hard drive or ram to be water cooled.

I'd like to stick with building my own water cooling system as opposed to purchasing a kit.

What parts would you guys recommend?

Here is my system.

Athlon64 3400 +
Gigabyte K8N Pro *nForce3 150 board* (I'd like my chipet water cooled)
X800 XT PE (will arrive this week)

Those are the 3 main things that I'd like water cooled. What set up would you guys suggest for a water cooling system. I'd like to overclock this system a little bit as well. Something low noise would be nice and keeping it in the $200 - $300 rang would be nice as well.

Let me know what suggestions you guys might have.

Thanks,

If you haven't already, read the watercooling stickys here.

Another good guide is here

As far as long lasting , the only thing that can die on you is the pump. (for basic watercooling). Eheim is generally regarded as very good in the long term.

Read the guides and get an idea of what you want, and then from there it's a lot easier to narrow everything down, rather than go totally off of a couple people's opinions.

stumpy said:

As far as long lasting , the only thing that can die on you is the pump. (for basic watercooling). Eheim is generally regarded as very good in the long term.

Read the guides and get an idea of what you want, and then from there it's a lot easier to narrow everything down, rather than go totally off of a couple people's opinions.

Hey thanks. I actually missed this. I was more or less surfing hte net finding various sties and various product reviews.

Good read though thanks!

I've not done any WCing on the really new hardware (A64, X800, NF3), but I'll try to help with the equipment that doesn't change with the silicon: the pump and the heat exchanger.

Pumps that are commonly used include: Eheim 1250 (my personal favorite), Danner Mag 3 or Mag 5, Hydor L30, and some of the Iwaki-brand pumps. As these are commonly used, it's a pretty good bet that they will not give you any problems. My Eheim hasn't so much as farted since I first started using it in continuous operation, about a year ago.

I've heard some good things, and some bad things, about the Swiftech pumps. Early reliability issues. These may have been solved, from what I've heard.

Heat exchanger: Use an automotive heatercore. These can be had at almost any autoparts store for considerably less expense than the PC radiators sold on-line. They're more efficient, but will probably require some modification to fit inside your case. DTek Customs sells the Pro-Core Jr, which would fit the bill.

stumpy said:

Stumpy are you using water cooling?

Back